Digital cable recommendations?
Jul 30, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fortune

100+ Head-Fier
Can you please help me choose a digital cable for hooking my source to a Bel Canto DAC. I would really like to keep the cost under $100 if possible. Used cable is also an option. I'm going to go the digital coax route unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks everyone!!

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm using one by monarchy audio....I can't say if it sounds good or bad, since I don't have time to A/B cables. It carries the signal...what more can I say?

Jul 31, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Coax is a good option - better than optical. Optical is much more succeptible to causing jitter in the data stream.

I'll 2nd the Apogee. They're a great company and really understand digital. I wouldn't hesitate to use their cables in any situation.

The issue of good, better and best cable for a digital connection is really pushing it, though. Get a cable that passes all the bits without picking up noise and adding jitter and you're fine. There's no need to spend too much money on one of these cables. I use Monster Data-1000 and Apogee and haven't noticed any degradation in signal. I'm using them in a studio with high-end recording equipment and all the gear involved is happy. I've compared the signal I sent through these cables with the signal that arrived and it's IDENTICAL. That's all there is to it. Of course certain lower end equipment might be more likely to cause errors with these cables, but you're safe with the Apogee or the Datalink-1000.

I realize that this is a pretty esoteric forum dedicated to tweaking, and I'm one of those people who's likely to spend hour after hour nitpicking my cable runs, but even I know when to say "that's good enough." Rest assured that you're $100 will get you a top-notch cable. In fact, you don't even need to spend that much - an Apogee 3 meter Wyde-Eye s/pdif cable is only $59.90 direct from them at apogeedigital.com. And no I don't work for the company, I've just been using their stuff for many years.

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 10
I have used quite a few digital cables and the two very best I have tried are the Canare and bettercables.com coax.They both sound very similar but both better than any of the big bucks stuff I have tried.

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 10
I wish the digital cables I use were still made: Elco DC-32 silver cable. I tried bettercables, Audio Quest, and several others, but the Elco (at $45 per cable or so) is the only one that stood out (and is the one that convinced me that digital cables matter at all). Elco's current line is more expensive.

I do have the Outlaw cable, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the great recommendations everyone! The dude I bought the DAC from is throwing a Canare in with the deal so the matter's resolved for now...

I'm sure I'm going to try others in the future as my damn curiousity gets the better of me again
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back