digital audio to receiver
Jul 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

griffindy

New Head-Fier
hey all;

so I have an NAD receiver with a bunch of digital inputs that I would love to make use of with my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, it makes no noise when I plug it in. Now I've tooled around with the settings and made sure that everything was 'on.' The cable works because I can use it going from my computer to a Keces 131. The receiver is a few years old (about 7 or so) so I'm wondering if maybe my Macbook Pro puts out digital in a format that can't be read by the receiver? if anybody could shed any light I'd be greatly appreciative.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
hey all;

so I have an NAD receiver with a bunch of digital inputs that I would love to make use of with my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, it makes no noise when I plug it in. Now I've tooled around with the settings and made sure that everything was 'on.' The cable works because I can use it going from my computer to a Keces 131. The receiver is a few years old (about 7 or so) so I'm wondering if maybe my Macbook Pro puts out digital in a format that can't be read by the receiver? if anybody could shed any light I'd be greatly appreciative.

Check if the samplerate is set equally on both ends (maybe you have an option for to set the clock source).

jiiteepee

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 5
My Sony pre/pro has both coax and optical inputs. All of the coax  inputs will pass-through a 24/96 digital signal but only one Tosllink will . Perhaps you should check yours too.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks guys, I'll take a look for these options / look into buying a mini to coax cable.

does anyone know if that exists? I only ask since mini plug is based on light, and coax is based on electricity.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I finally figured out the problem! My receiver only allows AC3 audio (a version of dolby digital) and only if I set my Macbook Pro's output to the correct refresh rate. Needless to say that's very stupid, but hopefully it can help someone else in the future. I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to transcode to AC3 on the fly from FLAC? there's probably some licensing problems with that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back