digipaks suck
Jul 7, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
Don't you hate it when they get all torn and damaged, when they once looked so beautiful? They cost more to manufacture than jewel cases, and WILL break down. You can't be 100 percent careful with them. The edges will get torn.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 35
i prefer digipacks. Jewel cases crack and slide all over the place. Im am pretty careful with my cds so i dont have to worry about the digipacks getting torn

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 35
No, I meant the packs themselves are torn is bad, because you bought it and it is a part of the product. It has artwork and everything.

When a jewel case cracks, the booklet and jewelcase card inside is unharmed, and you can put it into another jewel case.

It's the digipak itself that I'm concerned about here, not about the CD inside getting damaged.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortunately, they are rare in classical music and unheard of for SACDs.

Some SACD comes in digipaks....any SACD from Abkco (Stones, Animals, Herman's Hermits, and Sam Cooke), limited edition of Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms", the Dylan SACDs, hybrid versions of the Police and Peter Gabriel SACDs, etc.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too loathe Digipaks. Fortunately, they are rare in classical music and unheard of for SACDs.

Well, I somehow got a TON of digipacks. It appears that a lot of new labels are using them exclusively. They look pretty and artistic but when they get really ripped up, it's a pain to look at them. Like a defaced painting.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look kinda vintage, they match all my records...

I agree that they look good, but they are impossible to maintain. It's pretty obvious since they are fragile cardboards. I placed them in a bin, and the lid bumped on the top of one of them and smushed that part. Now it's all wrinkled. Also, digipaks are more expensive to manufacture. I see that digipak titles are often more expensive than the jewel case ones.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 35
What do you mean by slide?

And crack, that is the jewel case version of digipaks being torn. But with a jewel case, you can replace it. With a digipak, you can't.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 35
Well, like tpc said, they slide around more.

But yeah, true, they cant just be replaced and the album art slotted back in
frown.gif

They do look nice when new though, like record sleeves.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back