Difficulty removing stock HD650 cable
Jun 15, 2004 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I am trying to remove the stock cable to put the balanced Cardas cables from Headroom's Meet Pack for the SoCal Head-fi Meet.

Man! The connectors are really in there! I can't pull them out with my bare hands. I have rubber padded Robogrips I tried, but the force I was exerting made me stop, I really feel like I'm going to break it.

Is there a latch or something added? I can't see how it's any different from the HD600, except that it's a LOT tigher grip.

-Ed

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 10
There's really no secret to getting the connecters out, just pull ( try to avoid "wiggling" it out, might damage the insides ). I was afraid that I might've damaged my HD650s when I pulled out the connecters as well, but in the end they came out fine.

edit: hard to believe the meets only 5 days away
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Heh, it's tight the first time but much like screen doors and other things it'll loosen up after you use it a few times!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Everybody seems to report the same problem...
However when I went to remove mine I had absolutely no problem removing the OEM cable.
Maybe I am just stronger than the average headfier?
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Careful! Be sure to wiggle it, don't just pull it straight out if you have a hard time. My Cardas connector broke when pulling it out, fortunately it was replaced for free.

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 10
I pulled straight out. I think wiggling could be more stressing on those fragile connector springs, I think they're stiffer in the HD650's.

I think Sennheiser is gluing their connectors in now. Take a look.

Either it was that way before inserting the stock cables at the factory, or they glue them in a little bit. It looks like a bit of laquer coating is pulled off there inside the connector socket.

HD650_socket_glue_01.jpg

Stock-BalncdCardas-Zu_Connectors_01.jpg

Man, the balanced Cardas cable connectors are tiny. They would be quite prone to "wiggling" in the socket, as they are only held in place by the pins.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back