Difficult To Only Have 1 IEM That (Does it all!)
Jan 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
[This is steered towards high end but could apply to any level]

After 12 years here I have certainly learned that it is difficult to only have and be satisfied with 1 IEM.  Maybe doesn't apply to all but I have come to realize I can appreciate a lot of different things about a lot of different IEM's.  But throw in the fact that all recordings are not produced the same, our moods change and that our musical libraries are different......and it would seem really difficult to settle on one and one only IEM.

In an over simplification, one could say you have 2 choices.   Amazing detail and clarity with little mid bass and really nice sub bass (JH13, IE800), or you can choose the more lush vocal orientated choice of still some deep bass but plenty of mid bass to provide the nice thickness we love so much (SE846, W40, W60).

These sound very different but they all sound really good.

The heavier midbass IEM's tend to sound much richer but a bit cloudy or veiled sounding, like the 1,200 calorie cheeseburger.  So good but....too much of a good thing.   The lighter midbass that accentuates clarity and sub bass can sound more clinical but provides an amazing amount of "air" and transparency.  I WILL say, IE800 does a really nice job of making it NOT sound clinical...it still sounds lush as possible and the soundstage/space is huge.  Assuming you are getting a good fit its an amazing experience.  I am leaning more towards the IE800 as the one I prefer most but would love a tad more "fullness".  Might not be possible and I certainly don't think it exists so far.  As a side note., if you are an ER4 or GR10 fan and want to take the next (big) step, IE800 is a no brainer.

I guess you could try to find an IEM that crosses in the middle.  But what IEM, really, is that?  IMHO, W30 starts to go that way but just doesn't even come close to the resolution of the IE800.  I thought W4 was the middle compromise IEM but it still IMHO has too much mid bass and not enough sub bass.

It's like I know what I want (I think) but I'm not sure it's out there.   I will admit it is somewhere in between the W60 and IE800.  If the IE800 could have more underlying "fullness" to its bass (Like W60).....OR if W60 could have a brighter transparency (like IE800), that could be the complete universal end game.  If either of those IEM's added those traits I would certainly be done.  IE1000 and W80, right?

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 2
I feel that ie800 has way enough bass, you could EQ ie800. I mean, nothing ever compared as a IEM to it, that clarity, dynamic range and detail... It is just that good. 

If you add an E12A from Fiio to Ie800, it thickens the bass, and adds some bass, but it takes away some of the treble, and micro details. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back