Different Sony V6 Drivers?
Apr 6, 2002 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jasper

New Head-Fier
I have a bit of a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with:

I sent my V6s to Sony about a week ago to have the right driver replaced. These headphones are about ten years old, so the left driver is well worn in. Sony replaced the broken right side with another driver (whether or not it is new or used, I don't know). My problem is that I hear a difference in volume between the two sides. The left side is a little louder than the right, which can be made louder by adjusting the balance on any sources.

Keeping in mind that the new driver was only installed about two weeks ago, and that I have used my headphones for around 15 hours since then, will the right driver become louder over time, or has Sony mismatched the drivers? I know that burning in headphones changes their sonic characteristics (depending on whom you ask and what headphones you're talking about, of course), but does it increase sheer volume?

Thanks for your help.

-Jasper

Apr 6, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 5
It could be a case of driver batch mismatch...

The odds of your 10 year old drivers sounding characteristically identical to a brand new one... plausable, but not likely...

Ideally Sony should have replaced BOTH drivers - but, I guess that'd mean more expense
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 5
That's what I figured, Duncan. I guess my question is: Will the right driver ever sound like the left one, or should I just put up with the difference in loudness?

Apr 6, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I will give you the dubious honour of having my 1,000th post here...

In answer to your question, I really don't think that things will improve... I think you're stuck with out of sync 'phones... I had that problem with my HD565s when I trod on the cord, and snapped one of the hair thin wires in the driver assembly... just changed one driver originally, and everything sounded... not as bad as your own case, but still tonally wrong - Sennheiser then kindly replaced BOTH drivers for me
biggrin.gif

Sorry that that isn't the answer you're after... hopefully someone will contradict me... and make things look a little brighter

Thanks

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 5
I would complain to Sony and get them to replace the other driver. I mean...technically, they didn't fix your headphones completely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back