different ipod line outs
Jul 3, 2006 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joefosho315

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been researching this for a while and there seem to be mixed thoughts on different line out docks having different sound quality on the 5G ipod. Is there really going to be a difference in the TurboDockII, pocketdock, sik, etc.? If there is, can someone explain how because I've always thought that they'd all be tapping the same analog output, so they would all sound the same.
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 9
No different than buy an interconnect. You get all kinds of cables, covers, colors, materials, rcas, etc.

Right now the best ones are supposed to be the ones that eliminate one of the connections at the dock. For example the ones from audio line out: http://www.audiolineout.com/

Price starts at $38 but their top of the line sells for $95.

standardnew2.jpg

silksilverdock.jpg

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 9
I used to think that the Ipod wasn't worthy of a silver cable. I now think otherwise. My silver lod really works great with my amp and cans. I almost always listen to my Ipod (even at the gym) with the amp and lod connected.

my rig:

Ipod Mini(2g)>PA2V2>Silk doc>MS-1s/Koss Sportapro.

Take care, Ed.

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 9
I have the Audiolineout silver cable. I am very pleased with its performance and it was a pleasure to deal with Ken.

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 9
I can see how, like the audiolineout, eliminating the additional connection point will give better results. But what about all the other docks, like the Turbodock, pocketdock, etc that DO have additional connections? How can these possibly sound better or worse from each other, if they are tapping the same analog signal? Sorry, just trying to get a better understanding of how these work. Thanks guys.

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315
I can see how, like the audiolineout, eliminating the additional connection point will give better results. But what about all the other docks, like the Turbodock, pocketdock, etc that DO have additional connections? How can these possibly sound better or worse from each other, if they are tapping the same analog signal? Sorry, just trying to get a better understanding of how these work. Thanks guys.

The turbodock is just a dock connector with a female plug. All ipod adapters use the same general style and design. The difference is whether you get one with a cable pre-installed and soldered to the contacts on the dock connector, or you get a mini-mini cable to use.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree. I have both and I think they are both good connectors. Interestingly, I prefer the turbodock II for my portable rig because the mini to mini I purchased from Turbo is very flexible. The silver cable from audiolineout is also a nice piece, but the cable is much stiffer. I use it in a home rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back