different chip/sound of newest nano?
Sep 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok this not at all scientific or even up to the "head-fi" standards, but we just got a new 16gb nano and the sound is noticeably different than the previous version.

using the same phones ety4s and the same source rip. Jeff Buckley's Grace album ripped at 256k AAC the new nano sounds (for lack of a better term) crisper.

I first noticed it in the song "mojo pin" in the guitar and cymbals specifically right where Jeff is singing "precious precious sliver and gold........"

Slightly more detail there i swear....

and the radio has lousy sensitivity, could not pick up a couple of stations that my cheapo sony walkman radio can

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Any tiny changed in the circuit will effect the sound quality. for example replace a capacity or so. Even renew the cercuit laying.

New Nano have added in a camera, so at least the circuit have been redesigned.

I have no the new Nano, I don't know if it changed the chip. But i think the sound signature changed is sure.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Although adding a camera does indeed effect the circuit, it would be definitely a very strange layout if it affected the audio circuit. Usually noticeable differences are heard when entire chips are changed, which is probably the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back