Differences between the Meier Amps?
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vii_haven

100+ Head-Fier
Am thinking of getting a Meier amp but i'm a little confused with all the amps they're having. Maybe someone can help me sort out the little details before i make a decision? =)

1. Headsix/XXS/Move/2Move/3Move all share the same amp component?

2. Move/2Move/3Move has crossfeed, high current mode and DAC and XXS/Headsix doesn't?

3. Difference between Move/2Move/3Move is the DAC portion? How different are they?

4. Are the Move/2Move/3Move all the same size? (only managed to find dimensions for 3Move on the Meier website).

5. Coming from a Tomahawk, and liking my friend's Headsix quite a bit, would a Move be a good buy?

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 13
1. I don't think so. The MOVE series are supposed to have better amp section.
2. Yes
3. The 2Move and 3move both have improved dac over the move.
4. I only tried the move and it's quite big and heavy. And i doubt the 2move/3move is smaller.
5. Pretty sure. The move is by far the best portable amp I've ever heard.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 13
1. I believe the amp section is indeed the same on all the MOVEs / XXS / Headsix.

3. The DAC chips used on 2MOVE / 3MOVE are different from MOVE.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 13
answer form who owns both a XXS and a 2Move:

1. No. XXS and Headsix share the same amp curcuit, but it's different from Move/2Move/3Move. They even sound different( but quite alike of course. XXS has a little less bass ).

2. Move/2Move/3Move all have crossfeed, DAC and high current mode. XXS and Headsix don't have any of these options.

3. 2Move and 3Move have a totally differente DAC from the original Move. The difference is quite big for who have tried. But 2Move and 3Move share the same DAC.

4. Don't know about the original Move, but the 3Move seems to be a little smaller than a 2Move. Just a heads-up: my 2Move is a bit wider than my SR-71A, but the SR-71A is longer than the 2Move. Thickness is about the same size. But the 2Move is heavier.

5. the original Corda Move is currently discontinued. You can buy either a 2Move or a 3Move. Differences between them( that you can read in Jan's website ): 3Move has the gain switcher outside the amp's chassis, doesn't have the graphics over it, can be bought in black. But the 2Move is currently on limited stock, so you better decide quickly
wink.gif

Soemthing I always say: Jan Meier shoul take much more credit in Head-fi for the amps he creates and manufactures. They are much cheaper than another portable amps, yet they sound GREAT. I rank my 2Move as high as my SR-71A, with some subtle sonic differences. And it does a great job driving my HD650s using only the 9V battery. Oh crap, I just remembered I need to look for a regulated power supply for it
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 13
BTW, if you want to take a look on an impressive review made by Skylab, check this thread

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. No. XXS and Headsix share the same amp curcuit, but it's different from Move/2Move/3Move. They even sound different( but quite alike of course. XXS has a little less bass ).

I think this clear thing up a bit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HEADSIX is available in two colours; black (400 pieces) and silver (200 pieces) and its amplification circuitry is basically that of the CORDA MOVE. However, it comes without the crossfeed filter, has no USB-DAC and has no high-current mode (low current mode only). The amp can be driven by a 9V battery (100 hrs battery life-time!) or by a 6 .. 12 Volts external power supply. The amp is much smaller than the MOVE and comes at a very attractive price:

Jan

However, as SkyLab pointed out in his review, the Headsix / XXS do sound slightly different than the MOVE series.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 13
The XXX/Headsix and all 3 Moves have the exact same amp section. They all have a low and high gain switch that is changed by a jumper. The difference is that all 3 Moves also have a low and high current switch that is also changeable by jumper and this is where the Moves get that little bit of extra oomph (when it is in High current mode). The XXS and Headsix don't have this switch and run only in low current mode.

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 13
Any thought on the 2move vs the Tomahawk?

My impressions of the Headsix vs the Tomahawk is that the Headsix somehow has a warmer and more impactful bass, with a slightly wider soundstage than the Tomahawk. The TH sounds rather...pristine...too pristine maybe? I grew out of it. Had it for 2 months?

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 13
go ahead to buy the Move/2Move/3Move if you like the sound sig. of the headsix.

The reason for the moves are they have the crossfeed function which I LOVE! oh yeah and you need a regulated power supply to power it if for home used only, surely u can use battery =)

The size of my Move is not large..it is shorter than my iAudio X5L, a bit thicker and pretty much the same width.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh. Guess what's reaching my doorstep in 7 days' time. Haha. Bought a 2Move from Jan. Nice guy to deal with, super fast with email!

Congratulations
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure you will enjoy it a LOT!
L3000.gif

This amp can surely drive from IEMs to full sized cans. Just turn it on and be happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back