Differences between Grado models
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help in choosing which Grado (or Alessandro) phones to buy.  I don't have unlimited budget and yet would like to go as high as I can in quality.  60i's would definitely get my foot into the door, but what about 80, 125, or 225 models?  What do they add as the price goes up?  Will be using soon mostly with a NAD integrated amp but at times from a MacBook Pro or even an iPhone as sources at times.

Some months ago I was recommended the MS-1's from Alessandro/Grado also but can't remember why they liked them.

I do prefer open phones over closed and did once own some 60i's for a few months until the pads got too itchy for me.  Since then have been told of a way to remedy that feature.

Also are there any people on Head-Fi that still mod Grados?

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

The difference in the prestige series, in my opinion, is simply very minor flavor differences. I generally recommend the SR60i or SR80i with L-cush pads as being the only thing worth dropping coin on in the prestige line, and if you really want better Grado sound, you skip the rest of the line and go RS1 or better if you want a real difference.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Heya,

The difference in the prestige series, in my opinion, is simply very minor flavor differences. I generally recommend the SR60i or SR80i with L-cush pads as being the only thing worth dropping coin on in the prestige line, and if you really want better Grado sound, you skip the rest of the line and go RS1 or better if you want a real difference.

Very best,

So, are you saying that there's not that much difference between an SR60i and the PS500?  

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
So, are you saying that there's not that much difference between an SR60i and the PS500?  

Heya,

What I'm saying is there doesn't seem to be much difference between the SR60i and the SR325i of the Prestige line. Are there differences? Yes. Small ones. But owning them myself, I don't think the $200ish increase in cost for the 325i is worth it over the 60i or 80i honestly. I like the look of the Goldies better. But otherwise, sonically, I'm not hearing a tier difference. That's not to say the upper Prestige Grados are bad. It's actually inferring that the lower Prestige Grados are that good.

I honestly like the 325i. But again, I don't think it's worth the $200 extra sonically. Asthetically, yes. But sonically, not really. It just seemed to be a slightly different flavor.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 10
SR325 will offer you the step up from lower models for sure, but many users found them to be piercing, so, will depends on your source how they will perform mostly.

If you on the real budget, get used SR225i and start from there, they offer a very nice sound for many genres, imo.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Heya,

What I'm saying is there doesn't seem to be much difference between the SR60i and the SR325i of the Prestige line. Are there differences? Yes. Small ones. But owning them myself, I don't think the $200ish increase in cost for the 325i is worth it over the 60i or 80i honestly. I like the look of the Goldies better. But otherwise, sonically, I'm not hearing a tier difference. That's not to say the upper Prestige Grados are bad. It's actually inferring that the lower Prestige Grados are that good.

I honestly like the 325i. But again, I don't think it's worth the $200 extra sonically. Asthetically, yes. But sonically, not really. It just seemed to be a slightly different flavor.

Very best,

I guess that answered my question.  Not sure why the concern over the 325i.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 10
The differences between the models is very dependent on the source and amplification. For example out of an iPod or iPad the lower models 60, 80, MS1 sound fantastic. The 325, Rs2 and Gs1000 sound more detailed but washed out, flat and therefore less interesting.

Jump to an iPod to Cmoy amp ($60 approx) there is a great improvement in the sound of all the headphones. The 325, Rs2 and Gs1000 sound more detailed and more interesting than the cheaper models.

Jump up to a Burson HA160 (solid state) the 325, Rs2 and Gs1000 sound more detailed and better.
Change to a tube amp Mapletree Ear the 325 and Rs2 are detailed and luscious and you don't want to stop listening. Its like being there, stoned. The GS1000 are lovely but not as entrapping.

Jump to a balanced Violectric v181 and the Gs1000 out shine the other headphones in every respect. It is like being there.The GS1000 scale up further than the other headphones. Everything is detailed precise and real. The amp breathes life into the GS1000. The Gs1000 responds well to more current and being balanced.

I have not listened to Grado PS1000. I am satisfied with the choice of the Mapletree Ear and Rs2, or Violectric v181 and the Gs1000. Depending on my mood and the music choice. There are no absolutes. Sometimes I listen to Electricladyland on the Mapletree Ear and Rs2, sometimes on the Violectric v181 and the Gs1000. Sometimes on my iPod with the MS1.

The music choices are also extremely important. For rock or jazz groups, nirvana (for me) is the Mapletree Ear the 325 or Rs2. For classical, in particular symphonic works or jazz big band nirvana is a balanced Violectric v181 and the balanced Gs1000.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Having owned the SR60s SR325is(previously) and PS500, I can tell you that when I upgraded from the sr60 to the 325is I was underwhelmed when I think of the $200+ extra I paid for the 325is.  Don't get me wrong, the 325is were better than the sr60s but definitely not enough to justify the price.  Also, the 325is suffered from the the same problem as the sr60.  They were just too bright at times.  I wouldn't be able to sit through the highs on certain songs because of how bright the prestige series was.  This was a big problem for me.  I loved the improvements on the 325is, but it kind of defeats the purpose when you cant stand to sit through a song because of the headphones.  I lurked the forums hoping to find a solution and then read several people's reviews on the PS500 and I found they were what I needed.  They were a darker sounding pair of headphones that maintained the fun grado sound but without the ear raping highs.  I traded my 325i in and never looked back.  This is not even taking into account the fact that the higher end grado headphones can be amped to sound even better.   

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 10
  Having owned the SR60s SR325is(previously) and PS500, I can tell you that when I upgraded from the sr60 to the 325is I was underwhelmed when I think of the $200+ extra I paid for the 325is.  Don't get me wrong, the 325is were better than the sr60s but definitely not enough to justify the price.  Also, the 325is suffered from the the same problem as the sr60.  They were just too bright at times.  I wouldn't be able to sit through the highs on certain songs because of how bright the prestige series was.  This was a big problem for me.  I loved the improvements on the 325is, but it kind of defeats the purpose when you cant stand to sit through a song because of the headphones.  I lurked the forums hoping to find a solution and then read several people's reviews on the PS500 and I found they were what I needed.  They were a darker sounding pair of headphones that maintained the fun grado sound but without the ear raping highs.  I traded my 325i in and never looked back.  This is not even taking into account the fact that the higher end grado headphones can be amped to sound even better.   

Funny, I did exactly the opposite.

Our mileages do indeed vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back