1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Difference in SQ between RCA-Mini and Mini-Mini?

1. Jarmel
    I haven't really seen any info on this. I have a portable V-Cap dock and was wondering whether to go the traditional route and get a mini-mini or RCA-mini. Ken from ALO mentioned that he thought the RCAs sounded slightly better but I just wanted to verify. Thanks for the help.

2. Roger.McMurphy
    There probably isn't any audible difference. You can think one cable sounds better than the other, but that would be your mind playing tricks on you.

You should get what you think is reasonably priced, and what is more useful to you. Does that cable is likely to have other applications?

I would go to mini-to-mini as it should be cheaper (less connectors), and sound exactly the same.

Good luck. [​IMG]

3. moogoob
    Headroom uses mini-mini for their Micro and Ultra Micro stacks, and I think mine sounds fantastic, so there you go. [​IMG] Don't sweat the small stuff, especially short runs of cable.

4. jojo_b2
    I can't really comment on SQ. As cables for me always sound different and makes you tend to go for personal preference. I also find RCAs fuller maynbe because of the larger surface contact compared to the Mini plug that IMO anyway.

But if you plan to us it as a portable. You can look at two things:
    First, RCA have a more secure fit. So they tend to clamp on better to the female connector than the Mini to mini. this lessens distortion whenever you move. this is more apparent on Minis as a slight tug can give you a tud or hiss. Another benefit of the tight fit is theres is less oxidation. try getting a white cloth and clean the mini plug on an IEM or headphone there should be black sooth from oxidation. Due to the movement oxidation is more apparent on the Mini than RCA. that is what i find on my rig. =)

2nd is portability it is more cumbersome to encase RCAs as they tend to have a larger profile due to the connector size so they are way bulky than the Minis.

Think which is important fopr you either mini or RCA is really ok. =)

5. apatN Contributor
    Wow, Ken from ALO audio said the RCA's sounded better? And ^ does too? That's it, no more ALO for me. [​IMG]
    To answer your question. There should be no difference assuming there is nothing wrong with the plugs you are using.

6. AudioCats
    If OFC is used, the RCA could sound better than the mini. The reason being.... the dielectrics. In a OFC RCA plug/jack, they can afford to (mainly due to the available space) use good stuff like teflon, which is not likely to happen with a mini plug. Also, in a mini plug there will be inevitable cross talks between L/R.

Now whether your ears/gears can detect the sonic difference will be a different story.

7. moogoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Also, in a mini plug there will be inevitable cross talks between L/R.

Now whether your ears/gears can detect the sonic difference will be a different story.

True. [​IMG] The one main drawback of mini-mini is the common ground. But like you said, hearing it is another matter.