Difference between vented and fully closed iems
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Angelopsaro

500+ Head-Fier
Hello headfiers!

I think i encounter a problem when comparing vented iems like gr07 and brainwavz M1 with closed ones like the Hisound crystal i am trying at the moment.
Their difference makes me feel that fully closed iems sound kind of congest. I switch back and forth from my gr07 which sound a lot more airy. Is this something that has to do with the venting holes? this is a disadvantage that all closed iems have? This means that custom iems are even worst? I feel like my ear has somekind of defence that srinks the ear canal making the sound congest? same effect when going to a club.

Thx for your time reading my question.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 31

You are referring to the sound stage. Generally vented IEMs (dynamics in general) will always have a much more expansive sound stage and sound more open due to this design. I've been told that custom IEMs have a large sound stage as well but I am also curious if this is indeed true when compared to dynamics such as the IE80. I can only determine that for myself once I make the plunge. So generally it seems you prefer dynamics to BA. I feel the same way although I still enjoy my TF10s but its for its unique and artificial sound that I like it for as well.
Quote:
Hello headfiers!

I think i encounter a problem when comparing vented iems like gr07 and brainwavz M1 with closed ones like the Hisound crystal i am trying at the moment.
Their difference makes me feel that fully closed iems sound kind of congest. I switch back and forth from my gr07 which sound a lot more airy. Is this something that has to do with the venting holes? this is a disadvantage that all closed iems have? This means that custom iems are even worst? I feel like my ear has somekind of defence that srinks the ear canal making the sound congest? same effect when going to a club.

Thx for your time reading my question.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 31
The only completely sealed dynamic IEM I've tried which has a large soundstage regardless of no venting is the Turbine Copper. Large soundstage, great isolation.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 31
Although venting can help sound stage, it's 100% possible to get good soundstage without venting (EG, soundstage is independent of venting/porting).  PFE 232s are not vented at all, they aren't even dynamic, but still contain a large sound stage.  The theory behind a vent/port is to allow the driver to breath which allows it to move more freely.  This results in greater overall bass response (louder bass response).  At least that's from my understanding.  There might be more to it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 31
Armature iems could be better on this thing that troubles me. Maybe because dynamics have a diafragm and they need more air flow than armatures. I dont remember having this issue with my Q-jays but i had it on the Hisound crystal.
Its not only the venting but when i instert them in my ears and i start music playing my ears shrink their diameter as a self defence (like in the clubs) and doesnt allow the sound to be heared at its full. After some seconds things are back to normal but prone to happen again..
Maybe with fully closed high isolating iems (hisound crystal) and especially dynamics ( i didnt have much problem with q-jays) the pressure created in my ears makes this incident i explained.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 31
I would not say that my Miracles have a huge soundstage (it is a lot smaller than that of the HE-500) but it is more natural and precise. The Miracles may be better than most universal IEMs, but completely non-vented IEMs rarely have massive soundstages.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
The only completely sealed dynamic IEM I've tried which has a large soundstage regardless of no venting is the Turbine Copper. Large soundstage, great isolation.

The coppers are vented, all the monster line are. It's just not an obvious vent. Same with the Atrio.

The man who designed the Monster turbine, KwKarth is an admin on head-fi.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
Armature iems could be better on this thing that troubles me. Maybe because dynamics have a diafragm and they need more air flow than armatures. I dont remember having this issue with my Q-jays but i had it on the Hisound crystal.
Its not only the venting but when i instert them in my ears and i start music playing my ears shrink their diameter as a self defence (like in the clubs) and doesnt allow the sound to be heared at its full. After some seconds things are back to normal but prone to happen again..
Maybe with fully closed high isolating iems (hisound crystal) and especially dynamics ( i didnt have much problem with q-jays) the pressure created in my ears makes this incident i explained.

You are damaging your hearing.

The damage, over time, is permanent.

It doesn't matter whether dynamic or armature, headphone or iem.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 31

Are you talking about his ears shrinking? Listening at too high of volumes? I tend to start at lower volumes and gradually raise it up. Sometimes I'll do some louder listening sessions but not for a long period of time.
Quote:
You are damaging your hearing.

The damage, over time, is permanent.

It doesn't matter whether dynamic or armature, headphone or iem.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 31

Quote:
Are you talking about his ears shrinking? Listening at too high of volumes? I tend to start at lower volumes and gradually raise it up. Sometimes I'll do some louder listening sessions but not for a long period of time.

Yes, the subjective sensation that the ear is shrinking is a sign that the volume is at a damaging level and the ear trying to protect itself. However, not having that sensation (with the same volume) is still damaging.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Yes, the subjective sensation that the ear is shrinking is a sign that the volume is at a damaging level and the ear trying to protect itself. However, not having that sensation (with the same volume) is still damaging.

What would be considered a damaging level? I generally don't put it to uncomfortable levels. Generally when listening to my IE80s on my Studio V I don't go above volume 11. Right  now though I am using volume 9. Max is 31

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:

Probably i didnt manage to explain what i hear exactly.. I dont mean i feel like when i enter the club.. My ear does that but not because of high volumes.. It does it because of air pressure. If it was my ears deffence towords loud volume and not pressure i would have felt the same with all my iems. The same thing i feel with Hisound Crystal and Meelectronics Cx21 should happen with Brainwavz m1 and vsonic GR07. Isnt it?

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
Probably i didnt manage to explain what i hear exactly.. I dont mean i feel like when i enter the club.. My ear does that but not because of high volumes.. It does it because of air pressure. If it was my ears deffence towords loud volume and not pressure i would have felt the same with all my iems. The same thing i feel with Hisound Crystal and Meelectronics Cx21 should happen with Brainwavz m1 and vsonic GR07. Isnt it?

Oh? Sorry to misunderstand. Club volumes are damaging and there is an ear response to high volumes--which is what I thought you were trying to describe.

Are you talking about the feeling of having a kind of vaccuum seal in the ear? That's more of a fit issue, venting may have an effect but I have had that with vented iems as well.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Oh? Sorry to misunderstand. Club volumes are damaging and there is an ear response to high volumes--which is what I thought you were trying to describe.

Are you talking about the feeling of having a kind of vaccuum seal in the ear? That's more of a fit issue, venting may have an effect but I have had that with vented iems as well.

Yeah, i am having trouble explaining it thats why i opened the threat.. When i instert iems that are fully closed i have this small issue that my ear canal is fulled with pressure and doesnt let the soud flow properly..
I found a way to describe it! Its the same as the airplane thing.. You know? the pressure doesnt let the sound from the iems flow correctly so i have to blow my ears to balanace it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
Yeah, i am having trouble explaining it thats why i opened the threat.. When i instert iems that are fully closed i have this small issue that my ear canal is fulled with pressure and doesnt let the soud flow properly..
I found a way to describe it! Its the same as the airplane thing.. You know? the pressure doesnt let the sound from the iems flow correctly so i have to blow my ears to balanace it.

Mind if I ask whether you have small ears? My sister find IEMs very uncomfortable, and I think she might be feeling the same sensation as you when she puts them inside her ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back