1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between classical music recordings - interpretations and year of release

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hoegaardener70, Sep 23, 2018.
  1. Hoegaardener70
    Hi! I am currently sorting my CD / music library. Being a bit of a collector, I gathered over the years many, many different versions of the same pieces and concerts. And I now realize that I should not have done that .... whereas I do enjoy the different interpretations, I seem "not musically enough" to really identify differences which warrant separate purchases. However, what I do notice is the big variety in sound quality, and my HD800S is rather merciless in showing them. In terms of all the equipment discussed here on head-fi, I kind of conclude that one of the biggest upgrades one can do is ... to replace older recordings before the mid-90s with more current ones. Do you share these opinions?

2. guyben
    I just posted a somewhat similar thread.
    My LCD4Z (on a Hugo 2) probably are more forgiving than your 800s but the very significant differences in sound quality are just annoying. And I notice that in multiple recordings of recent years. Especially in terms of instrument seperation and bass/treble extension. Some recordings are just too centered and dull and some are just amazing. If it is just all about cost than it's a shame such wonderful music performed by very talented musicians gets ruined by less than perfect recording/mixing.

Guy

Hoegaardener70 likes this.