1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between cheap and expensive DAC

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by dead99, Jan 1, 2014.
2 3 4
Next

Last
  1. dead99
    What actually is the difference between a cheap transparant DAC (like the ODAC) and a expensive one?

2. Happy Camper
    For some, price. circuitry, more resolution, more features.

3. dead99
    and what kind of features?

4. nick_charles Contributor

Different and multiple extra inputs (analog/digital) , ADC sections, more outputs (digital and/or analog, balanced outputs) , built-in preamp and/or headphone amps, multiple headphone sockets, different reconstruction filters, upsampling options, tube sections blah drone etc

Gignac likes this.
  5. ab initio

Don't forget fancy case designs and elaborately crafted marketing literature!

Cheers

korzena and abhishekSPS like this.
  6. wnmnkh Contributor
    Most transducers are not really good enough to reveal the faults of DAC in the first place.

Also human ears' limitations play a big role for this case.

7. Mambosenior
    After owning DACs from $150. (used) to $6000 (new), the only difference—other than more zeros on the price, and the mumbo-jumbo the manufacturers and fan-boys love to spout—very, very little. Connectability (inputs, outputs) may differ but hardly worth the money when other solutions are readily available. Just my 2-cents worth. OK? Now, let’s take on that other pink elephant: overpriced CD transports!

crazy88888888 and xnor like this.
  8. dvw
    I can't even imagine any DAC cost over $100. I used to design DAC chips when I was younger. The DAC cannot be made with an all discrete design. Not only is it expensive, the quality is not competitive to a integrated design. All DAC manufacturers build their equipment by buying chips from semiconductor vendors from 50 cents to $2. The total BOM and R&D cost is comparatively low compared to R&D expense of the actual DAC chips. So, the only difference is the add-ons like power supply, power amplifier. knobs and LEDs on the front panel. I do my DAC shopping by finding out what DAC chip is being used, read the data sheet and then find the lowest price. 

crazy88888888 and well done like this.
  9. Gignac
    And in terms of chip architecture...any preferences these days?

I've heard a few different DAPs out there with a variety of DAC chips...seems like the Sabre ES9018 is a popular variety, but what difference does this really make?

I've heard DAPs with the ES9018 and a Wolfson side-by-side, and I can't really tell if the differences in my listening came from the DAC or the onboard amplifier of the DAPs.  Which would typically play more of a role?

Designing DAC chips sounds like quite the career, btw!

10. bigshot

One is ordinary and the other employs magic pixie dust.

abhishekSPS likes this.
  11. Gignac
    I knew it - pixie dust is expensive as hell these days...should have bought more in the 80s.

gnk1 likes this.
  12. bigshot
    It's not expensive if you happen to know a pixie.

crazy88888888 likes this.
  13. Mambosenior
    Yes, but do remember: Knowing pixie for the dust=legal, sleeping with pixie for the dust=incarceration.

abhishekSPS likes this.
  14. bigshot
    Ah! But WHAT A WAY TO GO!

15. Gignac
    NO! I'm not going back there for that again!  I don't care how much they give me, I will not be taken advantage of!

On another note..........DAC chips?

Those were the days...

2 3 4
Next

Last