Difference between Beyerdynamics'
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tristan944

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in getting a Beyerdynamic headphone. I want to know what the difference in sound is between them.

1.Which one has the best clarity and overall best sound?
2. I see there a few headphones labled "Premium" and these are more expensive. What is the "Premium", and is it worth the extra cash?

(I'm not concerned about Ohms, open/closed, etc. I can handle that). The one's I'm interested in:

Custom One Pro
DT770 Pro
DT880 Pro
DT990 Pro

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you very much for that link.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I'm interested in getting a Beyerdynamic headphone. I want to know what the difference in sound is between them.

1.Which one has the best clarity and overall best sound?
2. I see there a few headphones labled "Premium" and these are more expensive. What is the "Premium", and is it worth the extra cash?

(I'm not concerned about Ohms, open/closed, etc. I can handle that). The one's I'm interested in:

Custom One Pro
DT770 Pro
DT880 Pro
DT990 Pro

Simplified:

1. Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm

2. Premium & Pro are only different in the sense of the housing colors, headband clamp force, and sometimes cable (some come with a coiled cable depending on year, and the PRO versions come in lower impedances in general; Premium goes to 600ohms; PRO versions are marketed towards studio use; Premium for home use; They are otherwise the same headphones).

Note: Which one is best overall in sound is mostly up to your ears. I only recommended the DT880 because it's in general the overall most reknowned of them for being a world class warm/neutral headphone and is excellent for everything.

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't know if Beyerdynamic still does it, but the Pro's differ in the headband as well, using a 4 clasp leather headband on the Pro, and a plastic 'ziplock' one on the non pro.

My personal, subjective listening experience, the 770's have the most bass. The 880's soar to sonic heights so high that angels fear to tred there but it does it with a clarity, lack of grain, and silky smoothness that makes it seem effortless, but they lack a little punch in the bass although they have good extension. The 990's are the 'flagship' model but overshadowed by the 880's. They have slightly more veiled highs compared to the 880 but a better bass response.

770 if you like bass. 880 or 990 are very similar but do mids and highs slightly different, it's personal choice really.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 10
FYI an apostrophe on the end of a plural is possessive e.g. "the telsa driver is Beyerdynamics' design" as in the design belongs to or is attributed to Beyerdynamic. There is no need for the apostrophe for a non-possessive plural such as that used in the title of your thread. If you spent more time doing your homework and less time listening to your headphones you might know that already 
devil_face.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
The 990's are the 'flagship' model 

No they're not.

Let's not confuse people with a term like that.

Just like the HD650 is not a flagship. The Q701 is not a flagship. The DT880 is not a flagship. None of these are flagship headphones.

Progressing numerical order does not indicate higher quality model or higher quality sonic device here. It is intended in some manufacturers (Grado for example). But not all. Beyer for example has a DT series and all three are completely different in housing structure and sonic character. Leave it at that.

Beyer also unfortunately markets their 600ohm versions as the "audiophile" version, and it's also completely false and basically wrong of them to do so. They're just marketing to the uninformed here.

FYI an apostrophe on the end of a plural is possessive e.g. "the telsa driver is Beyerdynamics' design" as in the design belongs to or is attributed to Beyerdynamic. There is no need for the apostrophe for a non-possessive plural such as that used in the title of your thread. If you spent more time doing your homework and less time listening to your headphones you might know that already 
devil_face.gif

Grammar-police? You didn't finish your sentence with a period. PFFFTT.

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Beyer also unfortunately markets their 600ohm versions as the "audiophile" version, and it's also completely false and basically wrong of them to do so. They're just marketing to the uninformed here.

I tend to agree. I have no idea why the 600 ohm version should be considered around here as the only Beyer to get, even to the extent that the appreciation thread specifically includes "600 ohm", and nearly every poster makes certain to inform us that he has the 600 ohm version, as if that immediately identified him as a discerning audiophile. Many less politically correct posters who've heard both have stated that they hear little if any difference (which was my experience). Even Tyll Hertsen described the difference as "probably placebo"  My DT880 Pro sound just fine, and I cannnot concieve of the 600 ohm version substantially improving on it within the same design framework unless the amp I was using was, for whatever reason, better suited to 600 ohm phones. 

Incidentally, does this impedance snobbbery occur with any other brand?    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back