Didn't likelike the fiio e11k, e12 a better choice, or...
Jun 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

01ps

New Head-Fier
Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and audio technica ath-m50x headphones. I like the sound, but am thinking about jumping down the rabbit hole. I am considering an amp, or an amp/dac.

I listen to lots of different music, but mainly indie roCk. I typically listen to streaming (google).

The reason I'm considering an amp is 1-i like gadgets(let's be honest) 2-id like more control over the volume, rather than the 15 chunky style notches on my phone. 3-id like a little more effortless volume from time to time, rather than running near or at max volume on my phone.

The e11k was a disappointment since the low gain setting did nothing to increase my volume, and the high gain still required my phone volume to be set pretty high. As a result I think the amp-over-amp muddied everything too much. It sounded bad anyway.

Since the e12 is supposed to be a higher quality, audiophile grade product, and has much higher power output according to the specs, should I expect better results, ie:low gain, mid volume...

I've also considered the e07k, since I like the thought of some bass/treble eq, but suspect that the power output may be worse than the e11k. But would I get better results from a cleaner signal from my phone through usb?

Or should I scrap the whole amp idea and just get some better headphones, like the sennheiser hd 598? Or will these require an amp anyway?

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 9
The e11k was a disappointment since the low gain setting did nothing to increase my volume, and the high gain still required my phone volume to be set pretty high. As a result I think the amp-over-amp muddied everything too much. It sounded bad anyway.

First, you should be setting your phone at or near max volume (most likely max), and then use the volume control on the amp. And according to FiiO, the low gain on the Fiio is -3.8db, and the high gain 11.7 db. So the low gain is designed for use with very sensitive IEMs, not headphones like the M50x.

Probably did seem to muddy the sound if you had the volume turned down on the phone.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 9
It's best to just bypass the audio circuit on the phone altogether if you're going to strap on another box to it anyway (or hook them up on a desk). Try the Ibasso D-Zero MkII - if it doesn't come with an OTG cable you'll need to buy the short cable from Ibasso (that comes free with the D42 Mamba).

SGS3 on a sync dock with the D-Zero

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 9
It's best to just bypass the audio circuit on the phone altogether if you're going to strap on another box to it anyway (or hook them up on a desk). Try the Ibasso D-Zero MkII - if it doesn't come with an OTG cable you'll need to buy the short cable from Ibasso (that comes free with the D42 Mamba).

SGS3 on a sync dock with the D-Zero

Do you think a Fiio E07K would be a good choice? I am shopping in Canada and don't have lots to choose from

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Do you think a Fiio E07K would be a good choice? I am shopping in Canada and don't have lots to choose from

The amp in the E11K is better than in the E07K. *If* the DAC in the E07K is significantly better than the S5, then it might be the better choice.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 9

Haven't heard that version yet but AFAIK the original E7 did not work with, while the E07 has trouble working with, the digital output of tablets and phones. The D-Zero wasn't designed as such but I hooked it up and it works; now they include it in the product blurb of the MkII.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 9
The amp in the E11K is better than in the E07K. *If* the DAC in the E07K is significantly better than the S5, then it might be the better choice.

OK. Apparently the s5 has a pretty good dac according to what I read, capable of playing 24/192, which I don't need but it says something about the quality. If I didn't need a little more volume at times (the s5 is lame) and didn't hate the chunky style volume control of the s5, I'd be happy as is. The sound quality is excellent Imo. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back