Didn't Care for XB500, what to get instead?
Mar 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ragincajun713

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of XB500's from BB since they were on sale this week.  They were great for house, techno, and dubstep.  But they were horrible for ska, pop punk, punk, hardcore, and any other rock I played on them.  I could not hear the vocals in most songs.  When I could, they sounded like they were 20 feet behind me whispering through a wall.  Needless to say, I'll be returning them within the next 2 days.  I mostly listen to NYHC, punk, and ska; but I do like the occasional Deadmau5.

Which headphones should I pick up instead?  I need headphones which don't leak too badly since I'll be wearing them at school and occasionally the library on campus.
Options:
UR-55
HD 203 (Unfortunately I'll be over-paying by $15)
Kicker HP1973

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 2
Best headphone I can suggest at Best Buy is the Koss Pro DJ 100. They really have some of the best vocals there is under $150 or so. Probably the best budget headphones ever made. They have a good amount of bass, but the sound signature is still quite balanced. Highs are a tad rolled off. I use mine with the MDR-V6 pads and it's now one of the most comfortable headphones there is for cheap. It's far better than the UR-55. Unfortunately for very small MP3 players it does need an amp. For an Ipod Touch or Zune HD it should be OK, but a $20 E5 amp at the bare minimum is still suggested. For these headphones it's 100% worth it. They run about $80. The sound signature is pretty close to the HD-650, but with even more forward mids and a little less bass.

I also really like the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 or Maxell DHP-II. Shure SRH-440 is also quite good for the price. None of them really come close to the DJ100 though to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back