Did u see new mustang gt ad on tv?
Nov 5, 2004 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BigD

1000+ Head-Fier
Ford's new mustang GT ad was totally cool!!! Best car advertisement I've seen this year. None of that power and luxury bull!!! Just about every car tv spot we see is about power and luxury...Really getting tire of same old crap!

Instead the theme was like the movie, "field of dreams", if you build it...they will come. So this mid-west farmer builds a mini circuit around his corn field. Then what do you know, my idol, Steve McQueen shows up!!! To drive new mustang GT like in the Le Mans movie.

This original parody ad really hit my sweet spot!

Nov 5, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Yup, saw the commercial and thought it was pretty cool. What better person to hire to star in the commercials than Steve McQueen who also drove a Mustang in the legendary movie Bullet.

Nov 5, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Yup, saw the commercial and thought it was pretty cool. What better person to hire to star in the commercials than Steve McQueen who also drove a Mustang in the legendary movie Bullet.

As much as I hate to see movies get remake, I would love to see a new car chase through San Francisco involving the new Mustang. But where can you find a cool dude like Steve McQueen?

Nov 6, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 18
I didn't see the ad, but I have to say that this reincarnation of the Mustang, is by far, the best yet. The last 3 generations of Mustangs were TERRIBLE. Even the current models I think are ugly as all get out. :p

Nov 6, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Well, I certainly don't think that the past few generations of Mustangs were "terrible," but I do like the new model a lot. I'm a fan of the old 60's style Mustangs and I like the retro design cues that the new style has.

It's a helluva lot better than the reiteration of the GTO that Pontiac tried to pull off. I hope if Dodge does in fact bring back the Charger, they won't pull a Pontiac and screw it up...

Nov 6, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Well, I certainly don't think that the past few generations of Mustangs were "terrible," but I do like the new model a lot. I'm a fan of the old 60's style Mustangs and I like the retro design cues that the new style has.

It's a helluva lot better than the reiteration of the GTO that Pontiac tried to pull off. I hope if Dodge does in fact bring back the Charger, they won't pull a Pontiac and screw it up...

Well they weren't terrible, but ugly rather. (Except for the models of '74-'77. You cannot possibly say they were good. :p)

But yeah, the GTO was a travesty. Not to take anything away from the Monaro, but it's not a GTO.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Right now, two dealers I shopped trucks at, had new mustangs on display with 3-4 thousand dollar "market adjustment" fee's added on!

Yep, as usual dealers are trying to rape customers by marking up the brand new models. It's no different than what happened when the 03 Cobras came out, when people were foaming at the mouth to buy a 390 horsepower Mustang for less than $40k.

I also remember this price gouging happening with the new Thunderbird, the Corvette Z06, and probably dozens of other car models that have the "new must-have" status.

Just wait a year until the 06 Mustangs come out. You'll be able to buy the "leftover" 05's in the low $20k range rather than the $27-$30 they are commanding now. Same thing happened with the Mach 1's also.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Right now, two dealers I shopped trucks at, had new mustangs on display with 3-4 thousand dollar "market adjustment" fee's added on!

This practice just beats the point of new mustang's price competitiveness.
Quote:

Well, I certainly don't think that the past few generations of Mustangs were "terrible," but I do like the new model a lot. I'm a fan of the old 60's style Mustangs and I like the retro design cues that the new style has. It's a helluva lot better than the reiteration of the GTO that Pontiac tried to pull off.

Yes, past mustangs weren't terrible, but ugly. I do prefer new model, but no progression in world of design disappoints me as always with J.Mays, head of ford design. IMO, he never came up with anything new, but retro all the time. My fav mustangs are 1st and 2nd generations. Lastly, new GTO is a very nice looking car, but it's not Pontiac GTO. It's too slick and refined for a muscle car.
Quote:

He was the 70's icon. Cool part of this spot is Ford brought Steve back thru CG.
Quote:

But where can you find a cool dude like Steve McQueen?

ONE and ONLY! What other celebrity we know is an official team factory porsche driver and races Le Mans? He was naturally cool!

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 18
I liked the prototype Mustang more than this incarnation. To me it looks just lik any other car out there. It has lost its personality and panache. It'll probably ride like any other car - just like the past few Mustangs.

I don't like the front end. It looks sad. My Miata has a smiley face.

For sheer looks I'll take the new XLR Cadillac instead.

Here's Domo-Kun:
mst05_001_ext_lg.jpg

Although it looks nice from the side:
mst05_005_ext_lg.jpg

nah, I just don't like it.

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I liked the prototype Mustang more than this incarnation. To me it looks just lik any other car out there. It has lost its personality and panache. It'll probably ride like any other car - just like the past few Mustangs.

I don't like the front end. It looks sad. My Miata has a smiley face.

I didn't like the rear end on the prototype. The tail lights were HUGE; they covered the entire width of the rear end of the car!

111.jpg

Bleeccch. I do kinda like how the exhaust tips were set up on the prototype, but the tail lights on the production model look sooo much better.

As for the Miata having a smiley face, I'm not surprised considering the majority of Miata drivers are women and gay men.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

But where can you find a cool dude like Steve McQueen?

Actually did all his own stunts and the classic mortorcycle chase scene in "The Great Escape" where he ended up in the concertina wire was one he was told he could not do because it was way too dangerous.Guess who won the argument
cool.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 18
I like it. It's the first Mustang I've liked in several gernerations.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 18
I think we should give Ford some credit for making something from nothing out of the 78-04 Mustangs. The chassis was from the old Ford Fairmont, and even with that humble beginning, the Mustang was able to put away the GM F-body cars.

At the same time, the retro look on the Mustang is not too inspirational. I think the retro trend in cars has ran its course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back