Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #586 of 1,046
Sennheiser was founded by Fritz Sennheiser just after WW2, and is owned by the Sennheiser family.  Their revenue is now probably over $600 million per year.

With net revenue of $39.25 million that is not a very profitable company. For a luxury company with margins about 5% they are bleeding cash.

Sennheiser's 2014 revenue was $731.6 million

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #587 of 1,046
I always thought that headphones were for those who needed a fix while not having a fix.  Claytons coke, if you will.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #590 of 1,046
  I try not to confuse populism and consumerism.  Many seem to think that things that look like they can be purchased (as a consumer good) should actually be made purchasable (to a wide base of people).  I beg to differ.  Some things in this world are made not for the sake of purchase but as realizations of human capability.  It is an attempt at designing/engineering, and actually creating in real life, an object which is meant to stand at the pinnacle of what human beings can achieve at any point in time.  If Sennheiser actually sell some of these audio systems - just as if Naim actually sell some Statement systems, Lamborghini actually sell some Veneno roadsters, or Jeff Koons actually sells some balloon animal sculptures - then good for them.  But that is not the point, relative to society.  The point is to realize something that otherwise would exist only in fantasy, something that is surprisingly concrete but touches on our brains' most unbound idealizations of familiar objects.  We should not obsess with these objects' market potential.  We should view them more as Faberge eggs, Aztec sun calendars, Ming vases, and Mona Lisas - singular, emblematic, monumental.  If you own one, it is not because you bought it with your money.  It is because such an achievement rises to the place of shared human heritage, and we as humans collectively own those objects in the abstract.

mmm....Bravo! (standing ovation). As things stands, there are two camps, for or against this Orpheus successor, for a variety of reasons, each one as valid as the other. It is a ZERO SUM GAME because at the end of the day, these much are true: 1. this thing will fly off the shelves 2. some will declare it as the Jesus 'phone 3. some will HATE this with the very fiber of their being and 4. Regardless of where we stand, we are preaching to the converted. IOWs, no opinions will change. ZERO SUM GAME. Me? I'm rooting for Team Sennheiser! Go Senn Go!

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #591 of 1,046

mmm....Bravo! (standing ovation). As things stands, there are two camps, for or against this Orpheus successor, for a variety of reasons, each one as valid as the other. It is a ZERO SUM GAME because at the end of the day, these much are true: 1. this thing will fly off the shelves 2. some will declare it as the Jesus 'phone 3. some will HATE this with the very fiber of their being and 4. Regardless of where we stand, we are preaching to the converted. IOWs, no opinions will change. ZERO SUM GAME. Me? I'm rooting for Team Sennheiser! Go Senn Go!

If they had come out with a successor to the hd800 I'd be with with ya. I'm def. #3.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #592 of 1,046

You are aware that London where this presentation took place is not in Germany, right ?
wink.gif

mmmm........lol! Wow. just Wow. The haters-gonna'-hate campaign is in full swing, Question: who paid you? LOL!

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #593 of 1,046

What does the against side have?  Sennheiser is making this headphone.  I'm not sure why they are against it.  Most just don't seem to like marble, and some are hating it based off a price that was totally made up by a head-fi member.  You don't like the design?  Get over it.  People have different tastes and decorate their homes differently.  I like clean modern stuff and it looks good to my eye.  Well OK I don't really like the headphone box that's attached, as it's pretty gimmicky, but whatever.  It's not as catastrophic as some of these people are making it sound.  It's also only a show piece.  I doubt the retail product will be exactly like this anyway.  

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #595 of 1,046
Breaking news  : Theft of the other Orpheus :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779696/theft-of-orpheus-at-ifa-2015#post_11884785

I don't know whether the unveiling of the new Orpheus has anything to do with the Theft of one of the originals in Berlin that is being reported at the above link, but it seems the two conversations could be held together.

Two observations:

1.  I like the looks of the older Orpheus much better than those of the new one.

2. The "Theft of Orpheus" sounds like the name of  a cheap hollywood euro-based thriller...  It almost makes you wonder whether the theft is not some kind of publicity stunt promoting the new one, but it will take a large dose of cynicism for me to believe that, and my cynicism has not reached that level yet.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #596 of 1,046
Not surprised by the price guess by Dr. Gilmore, certainly will be a good bit more than original Orpheus.

Quoted specs are good if they hold up.

Guesses about the circuit still. All tube? Probably hybrid. Tubes just for show? (jk)

IMO not a fan of a non upgradable DAC portion.

IMO it fails in the looks department. Just too much.

When one of those little motors fails, will the unit have to go back to Germany for repair?

It looks to me to appeal to the non enthusiast. Extreme specs, ultra on the fashion, yet integrated for the non-technical.

Now I'm not saying it won't sound blissful, but then we don't know yet right? Just commenting on what we know, and some intelligent guesses by people I tend to believe.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #597 of 1,046
  Kinda like this...HUH? Do it cuz you can not cuz it is useful/affordable or anything...
biggrin.gif

This is a joke so don't get bent.

As far as this orifice..er...Orpheus 2 or whatever they will call it...it could sound the best (to someone), it could look the best (to someone), but to me the best is what I can afford and use, don't much care what other people think is the best as it really ultimately comes down to what I think in the end anyway.

Just wanted to +1 this for I completely agree and more people should read that last sentence of yours

I have honestly forgotten what this thread is about cause I subbed in the beginning expecting intelligent, informational replies about this potentially awesome and exclusive product but nope just *insert x number* of pages whining and crying about price that's yet even be announced! And seeing there's no real topic I don't think a moderator can come in and do much needed cleaning/deleting of a good deal of ridiculous and greatly unnecessary comments. I've only been a member of Head-Fi for roughly a year but I've never been no disappointed as I have been as of late. 2 thefts of super high end pieces and a whole ton of but hurtness about something people in this field should learn to expect. Hell car enthusiasts are just as passionate but they don't flip **** near like this when a super exclusive and limited edition car being well over $5M+. Please for the love of God can we please stop freaking out over everything and just....... *it's  frozens let it go if it doesn't embed properly*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L0MK7qz13bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #598 of 1,046
Guesses about the circuit still. All tube? Probably hybrid. Tubes just for show? (jk)

-Hey, don't knock tubes just for show; when studying electrical engineering, I built a DAC and put a couple of tubes on top, supplying them only with the filament voltage for that warm, nice glow we all know and love.

I got compliments all round for the warm, analog-sounding DAC of mine. During sighted evaluations, of course.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #599 of 1,046
Not surprised by the price guess by Dr. Gilmore, certainly will be a good bit more than original Orpheus.

Quoted specs are good if they hold up.

IMO not a fan of a non upgradable DAC portion.

IMO it fails in the looks department. Just too much.

When one of those little motors fails, will the unit have to go back to Germany for repair?

It looks to me to appeal to the non enthusiast. Extreme specs, ultra on the fashion, yet integrated for the non-technical.

Now I'm not saying it won't sound blissful, but then we don't know yet right? Just commenting on what we know, and some intelligent guesses by people I tend to believe.

I would agree with it looking a little to much the simplicity of the origionals perhaps just too sexy to follow. But if someone were to have an issue my guess would be yes you'd have to send it to germany for repairs

@OddE Interesting concept about the tubes, I never thought of that, but it makes sense very interesting.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #600 of 1,046
I've just pruned the latest out of this thread... Oh, and the other one that was in effect spammed with the same long winded post and follow on...

Let's just leave it there before my will to live escapes me...

Back to Sennheiser...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back