Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #332 of 1,046
  (snip)

For me, it is worthy of praise, respect and a source of inspiration.

How can you tell, just looking at pictures?  
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #334 of 1,046
It will be costing to much for a headphone.... with the advancements of ortho's? It had better be more than a glowing middle with a soft top and bottom.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #336 of 1,046
  The HD1000 was released several years back.  Search for "Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston" and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sennheiser_charlestonkopfhoere_hd100.html

Interesting...well then the successor to the hd800's then. Guess I should have done my homework. No Panzerholz love?

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #337 of 1,046
  It will be costing to much for a headphone.... with the advancements of ortho's? It had better be more than a glowing middle with a soft top and bottom.

It would have to have a diaphragm so thin that you would not be able to see it. And how could they charge for something you can't see?

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #338 of 1,046
I'd say $50k is affordable and a downright "smart" investment if the run is limited.  You get way more enjoyment out of it than any stocks you can purchase for the same $50k, and you are almost assured not to lose value when you sell 10 or 20 years later (and probably make 20% conservatively over the period).  

So 1% annualized? That's a god awful investment

The only negative is cash is tied up for that long. 

Isn't that what you do with an investment?

It's purchasing an asset that increases in value AND brings you great personal enjoyment.  It's hard to find both.

How about putting that as a down payment on a house, something that usually increases in value, usually brings enjoyment, and means you don't have to rent. Triple play!

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #339 of 1,046
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #340 of 1,046

I can confirm from own experience that that doesn't apply. Even with FiiO players the HD 800 doesn't sound very good. High-impedance headphones are a bad match with most portable devices. Apart from that the HD 800 is an easy load – for stationary amps.

I don't see why the fiio players would be bad when they have a high gain mode ostensibly for headphones like these. But yea, most portable players are much worse than those. The iphone, strictly in terms of loudness, I can imagine being fine for music with very compressed dynamics, which just goes to show you don't need crazy amount of gain from desktop gear for an hd800.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #342 of 1,046
Curious as to why another wireless closed headphone after the HD630EV. Maybe a redesign of style after all the flack it copped.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #343 of 1,046
stone just doesn't make sense for an audio amplifier.  the chassis is not really about weight it is about shielding interference and efficiency in sinking/re-distributing heat.  it just seems daftly out of place like using cheese to build a house.  anyone who really cared about sound with a TOTL budget would have started with a block of silver alloyed copper and plated it with rhodium inside and out. i just don't understand the appeal of marble here, it just isn't fit for purpose.  for michelangelo sure but not for a headphone amp.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #345 of 1,046
  stone just doesn't make sense for an audio amplifier.  the chassis is not really about weight it is about shielding interference and efficiency in sinking/re-distributing heat.  it just seems daftly out of place like using cheese to build a house.  anyone who really cared about sound with a TOTL budget would have started with a block of silver alloyed copper and plated it with rhodium inside and out. i just don't understand the appeal of marble here, it just isn't fit for purpose.  for michelangelo sure but not for a headphone amp.

Totally agree. Proven back in the seventies with the old Kenwood tables that marble is a bad choice. Panzerholz is the worst material to work with ever, but it is hard to get out of Germany and well if your going to charge $40k why not. Nobody else but Albert Porter and a few others are doing this. It is absolutely beautiful, as beautiful as marble imo. Plus sennheiser is Germany right?

Also think the block of silver alloy copper/rhodium plating would have been sick as hell too. Marble is dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back