Did I just waste all my money?
Oct 21, 2002 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
redface.gif
Where do I begin? Normally I'm used to using a bog standard pair of Plantronics headphones (HS1's or Audio 90's) & I fancied getting a pair of proper headphones! I set off to my local sound control (A UK shop, see http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk they stock alot of professional stuff).

I go in there have a look around at the selection of closed headphones (see http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/...ages/index.php for all the headphones they had on offer) & decide to have a closer look @ the HD 25's since I'd heard that Sennheiser were far better than sony & they looked very well made quality wise.

Anyway, the decision was made after the DJ at the counter told me they were 'the dogs dangly bits' and that he had used them for years and not found anything better (he trys out all that comes in) to buy the HD 25's.

I tumble across this forum and have a look to see what all you knowledgeable folks think of the headphones I just bought, I never felt so gutted in my life
frown.gif
, I don't think I heard one good thing said about them sound quality wise. I thought I'd just bought the best headphones money can buy! *bangs head on table* Tell me I didn't just waste 140 pounds!

Ugh, besides I'm running into a large amount of cash soon anyways, what ARE the best headphones? :p. *Awaits arugment to kick off*

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 37
the 25's are arguably "the dogs dangly bits"
wink.gif
for DJing.

but for just listening they're probably not so great. I coulda bought a pair a while back but steered clear of em (don't like supra-aural 'phones)

As to "what's the best headphone" it REALLY depends on what you're using them for (listening to music, gaming, production, monitoring etc). Also whether you'll be running em amped or not.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 37
Jan likes those phones, but not necessarily for pure sonic reasons.

Of course when you asked the "DJ" what he thought was the best, he very well could have given his honest opinion for what was the best for *his* particular usage.

Throwing out other variables besides just sound performance vs price, than yes it is highly probable that they aren't the best in that narrow scope of consideration.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 37
Personally I use these for Music & Gaming. I've got them attached to a new SoundBlaster Audigy card in my computer & also to my portable walkman. I know most of you lot will probably think "Oh, gaming? That's fine then" but I'm the kind of person that likes to wait a while to get enough money to buy the best (or so I thought heh?
tongue.gif
). So, that's really my use for them & I won't be running them amp'd. The music I listened to is really varied, I listen to pretty much everything you could think of minus R&B, HipHop & Pop.

And yeah, the guy was probably right, he seemed like a totally honest guy so I'm not gunna hold the fact he gave these a good name when I questioned them against him
smily_headphones1.gif

But as I say, I'm going to have the oppertunity to buy a new pair of headphones soon, is it really worth me buying a new pair to get 'the best' (putting the fact I only use them for music & gaming aside)?

Thanks for replying so quickly, I'm probably the kind of person you hate who comes on here asking knowing nothing about headphones whilst saying the words 'the best'. But I don't know unless I ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 37
I guess I should add what I'm sorta after, I'm just gunna explain it trying to use some of the terms alot of you guys seemed to be using here (in other words, here's my stab at speaking your language). I think I'm after a closed, very accurate pair of headphones with decent bass responce.

You'll probably want to ignore that and just tell me what you think, but seeing as I don't really have much of a clue of what's good and what's not, I welcome it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 37
So you want "closed, very accurate pair of headphones with decent bass responce" and you won't be using an amp correct? Headphones such as w100 or ultrazone 650 might be what you are looking for, do a search on them as I have not heard either myself.

Biggie.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 37
Well, Etymotic ER-4Ps are very closed and very accurate. As far as the bass, well you hear it, you don't feel it. They are tiny little earbuds, which may or may not appeal to you. I absolutly love mine. $269 at headphone.com

By the way, how much money are you talking about here? If you've got unlimited funds you should just spend $12,000 on the Sennheiser Orpheus and be done with it
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh, never mind they're not closed. Let's see... What's the best closed phone??? Perhaps the Audio-Technia W2002 at a mere $800?
smily_headphones1.gif

More realistic options may include the AT W100 and Ultrasone 650 as NotoriousBIG mentioned. You might also want to check out the new Beyers, they look pretty nice...

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 37
Closed, accurate, bass response:

Beyer DT770 Pro
Sony MDR-CD3000 (someone will say these are open. Ignore them)
Audio Technica A100Ti (much better low end than W100)

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 37
No you didnt waste your monety. they are good phones and are highly regarded within the DJ community. course what DJs like may not be what you like, but youve nailed the ultimate DJ phones features with your needs so I think its a good choice at least for use from a mixer or anything which the HD25 is happy with (they need a bit of power to get them going, dont expect to be headbanging on a cd walkman although maybe a laptop might work)

The ATHA100Ti mentioned above is an option if you re looking to move up (or sideways). I feel a bit like an "audiophile" wanker walking around with them but they work quite well from anything and are a conversation piece; "Titanium earmuffs? Cooool!" You might find them a bit difficult to get hold of though.

Follow whats being said here with a pinch of salt and try things out and make your own decisions before you buy them. Hear more phones. Buy more phones!!

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by shuurajou
I go in there have a look around at the selection of closed headphones & decide to have a closer look @ the HD 25's since I'd heard that Sennheiser were far better than sony & they looked very well made quality wise.

Anyway, the decision was made after the DJ at the counter told me they were 'the dogs dangly bits' and that he had used them for years and not found anything better (he trys out all that comes in) to buy the HD 25's.

I tumble across this forum and have a look to see what all you knowledgeable folks think of the headphones I just bought, I never felt so gutted in my life
frown.gif
, I don't think I heard one good thing said about them sound quality wise. I thought I'd just bought the best headphones money can buy! *bangs head on table* Tell me I didn't just waste 140 pounds!

Nope, you didn't really waste your $$$ on that purchase. Instead, you've just bought one of the WORLD'S premier (read: finest) DJ headphones currently in production. This coming from an "audiophile" who's no big fan of DJ headphones in general.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 37
Well that makes me feel a little better
smily_headphones1.gif
. At the moment the Ultrasone 650 seem favourable, I wondering if the difference will really be worth it though. The HD600's sound really attractive to me right now, but by looking at meier-audio it seems they need an amp (and maybe from what I hear some modifications?). I'm not really in that much of a noisy enviroment but the HD 25's seem to be the only ones that have successfully totally blocked out the sound of my computer fans
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 37
I was originally pretty fixed on getting a closed headphone, but from what I've been reading here if I bring open headphones into my buying range they're much better? From what I've been reading the Sennheiser HD 600/580's seem to the favourite of the open headphones, but do they REALLY need an amp to be any good? If I did decide to go for a pair of these is anyone knowledgable on anywhere I could order them 'fast' internally in the UK or Europe?

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 37
I have both the Ultrasone HFI-650 and the Sennheiser HD600. Undoubtedly when I don't need a closed headphone and have a good amplifier available, I prefer the HD600.

The Ultrasone is far more versatile, though--it's durable, it folds, it's a closed design (so I can use it at work without pissing off my coworkers) and it's low impedance with high senstivity so it can be driven easily straight from the jack of my portable CD player (though, it can and does still sound much better with a dedicated headphone amp).

I struggle with cockney expressions. In the states when someone compares something to a dog's scrotum the implication is that the thing being compared isn't very good. I assume it's different in Europe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back