Did i get the right headphone?
Feb 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently bought a k-81dj and i really like it for portable use except when i used it at home it was somewhat uncomfortable and a little dark sounding.

So out of a random spending urge for a home headphone (damn you headfi) I bought a grado sr-60 from the sound room and it will be arriving on tuesday.

My intent in buying this headphone was to have a brighter, more analytical sound and to get familiar with the grado *house sound*.

Did i make the right buy? My budget was only $80.

At first, i was looking at an hd-580 with hd-650 cables and an hd-600 grille but after all of the modifications, it would be nearly twice my budget
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 11
I think you made the right choice. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the sound.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for your responses! Im not having any second thoughts about my purchase any more
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 11
The right headphone is the one that sounds good to you, and seeing as you've already made your purchase, it's far too late for any advice against it.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Well... i can still send it back as long as i don't open it, after all, it was free shipping.

but I've already decided that i will eagerly open the box and burn them in!

I haven't found an article on the suggested burn-in time so if anyone could tell me that would be great.

Also, If i were to change out the comfies with an hd-414 pad, would it make the sound worse?

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 11
Yup; another supportive vote of a "good choice" at that, since you were looking for something brighter and less dark compared to the K81. The modded HD580 may have been a tad too dark as well. So Yup; I suspect that you made the right choice!

One nice thing about getting the SR-60 is the ability to test out the Grado house sound without spending a lot of money. After that; if the Grado upgraditus bug has bitten; you have the opportunity to fine tune whether you want to climb the Grado or the Alessandro ladder.

As far as comfort is concerned, yes; a number of folks have a few problems. Yeah! Really!! There are a number of ways to make them a bit better though.

The adjustable headband is a good one. It can be bent into a full range of positions right up to tying them into knots.

Don't worry, they won't break!!

Then there are about three dozen different ear pad combinations. Yes; the SR-60s come with the "comfy" pads but the reversed and modded 414s are a biggie in the Alessandro MS-1 crowd. I like reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1s, but I prefer bowls on my MS2i. I haven't tried the comfies back on my MS-1s since I first tried the 414s, so I can't say which really sounds the best to me. But nobody can actually say what's best for you, only what works best for them!

I feel that the bowls sound better on my MS-1s, but the 414s are more stable and more comfortable, and that means more to me than just a bit better sound....especially when the MS-1s with bowls tend to fall on the keyboard when I'm trying to type!
rolleyes.gif

.....I don't have to worry with the heavier MS2i with bowls though. When I'm listening to THEM, I can't do much beyond just listening to the tunes!!

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 11
It's cool that grados can change a bit just by the earpads used. Im probably going to snatch a pair of the hd-414 replacements because they are going for like 3 bucks now.

Im not sure if I should do the coin mod or not but i am somewhat reluctant because once it's done, you can't undo it.

Has anyone compared a coin modded cpad or hd-414 pad to a non coin modded one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back