Did excessive sweat kill my armatures?
Oct 17, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Posts
1,712
Likes
182
Location
Japan
I run 4 to 5 miles a day, almost everyday. About 2 months ago, the dual bass driver died in one of my e500s. I kept using them for running because I listen mainly to audiobooks and not music when I run, so the lack of bass in one channel wasn't too distracting.

Today, however, all three drivers died in the other monitor.
frown.gif
Does anyone know if this could be due to excessive sweat leaking in? They are customs, but sweat does get into my ear canal.

If I replace these, I certainly don't want it to happen again.
 
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 9

ak40ozKevin

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Posts
345
Likes
0
I can't imagine that much sweat getting in there because your ear canals don't sweat themselves. The sweat would have to be pouring in from the outside.

My guess would be that maybe it's a cable issue and that it got jostled repeatedly while running, disconnected a little bit at first, and then completely failed.

I'm not familiar with the E500 customs though. Is there anyway to see inside of it?
 
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 9

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Posts
1,712
Likes
182
Location
Japan
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine that much sweat getting in there because your ear canals don't sweat themselves. The sweat would have to be pouring in from the outside.

My guess would be that maybe it's a cable issue and that it got jostled repeatedly while running, disconnected a little bit at first, and then completely failed.

I'm not familiar with the E500 customs though. Is there anyway to see inside of it?



No, it's not a cable issue. The cable is an Ultimate Ears custom monitor cable. So, I was able to reverse the inputs to see if it was the cable causing the problem, and I still had the same issue.

Yes I can see inside the monitors, but I can't make out enough detail to see if there are any wayward wires or anything like that. My customs are a dark translucent blue.

When I'm running, the seal will occasionally break, which allows the sweat to get inside my ear canal. I don't know if you run at all, but after 3 or 4 miles, at a good pace of about 7 to 8 miles an hour, you start to sweat pretty good!

My major concern is that if I replace them, I will have the same problem with my new pair. And, unfortunately, these were pretty much irreplaceable!
frown.gif


Guess it will have to be UE11's next.
 
Oct 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 9

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not a cable issue. The cable is an Ultimate Ears custom monitor cable. So, I was able to reverse the inputs to see if it was the cable causing the problem, and I still had the same issue.

Yes I can see inside the monitors, but I can't make out enough detail to see if there are any wayward wires or anything like that. My customs are a dark translucent blue.

When I'm running, the seal will occasionally break, which allows the sweat to get inside my ear canal. I don't know if you run at all, but after 3 or 4 miles, at a good pace of about 7 to 8 miles an hour, you start to sweat pretty good!

My major concern is that if I replace them, I will have the same problem with my new pair. And, unfortunately, these were pretty much irreplaceable!
frown.gif


Guess it will have to be UE11's next.



damn, is there a service that exists that can take a look inside your customs, or will the guys that did your customs take a look and see whats what?, even if they charge it may be worth it because custom e500's are practically a one off.

my guess would be that the cable soldering on the drivers has come apart, this has been known to happen with earlier e500's
 
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 9

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Posts
6,574
Likes
243
When you say "died" do you mean there is no sound at all? If this is the case I would say it could not be merely from sweat. Sweat getting into the nozzle could deteriorate the sound but I find it unlikely it will virtually kill the driver(s) making the IEM produce no sound at all.
 
Oct 18, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 9

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Posts
1,712
Likes
182
Location
Japan
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn, is there a service that exists that can take a look inside your customs, or will the guys that did your customs take a look and see whats what?, even if they charge it may be worth it because custom e500's are practically a one off.

my guess would be that the cable soldering on the drivers has come apart, this has been known to happen with earlier e500's



I've tried contacting Suyama, the guy who made them, but he's not responsive, so I'm out of luck there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say "died" do you mean there is no sound at all? If this is the case I would say it could not be merely from sweat. Sweat getting into the nozzle could deteriorate the sound but I find it unlikely it will virtually kill the driver(s) making the IEM produce no sound at all.


Yeah, the bass driver in the left monitor was the first to go. Then the entire right monitor just died this week.

The only thing I can think of doing would be to ask someone like UE if they would take a look at it. Doubtful though.
 
Oct 19, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 9

HellaChinese

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Posts
66
Likes
10
pure water does nothing too bad to most electronics. if you just dry it out, it usually works perfeclty fine.

however, if there are any electrolytes present (salts, potassium, or even other organic compounds), it can cause damage. unfortunately, sweat is full of them
darthsmile.gif
 
Oct 19, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 9

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Posts
1,712
Likes
182
Location
Japan
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellaChinese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pure water does nothing too bad to most electronics. if you just dry it out, it usually works perfeclty fine.

however, if there are any electrolytes present (salts, potassium, or even other organic compounds), it can cause damage. unfortunately, sweat is full of them
darthsmile.gif



Damn! Happened again today.%@!?& ARGHHH.

Just picked up a pair of UE Metro-Fi's to tie me over until I replace my customs. Did a 10K run today and the right headphone went out at around 7K. It didn't completely die, but I couldn't make out much coming out of it.

Has this not happened to anyone else?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top