Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,306 of 7,331
Are the pads of your Diana Phi's quite loose, and easy to knock off when being handled? Coming from the AB1266 which clamped the pads with near-excessive force, its slightly annoying when they drop off the Phis. Not exactly a deal-breaking issue though :)
Sounds like the magnets needs replacing contact abyss

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #4,308 of 7,331
Unless the magnets got misplaced of fell, the magnets shouldn’t be the problem.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #4,309 of 7,331
The magnets need replacing? Magnets don't wear out. Well, not during a human lifetime anyway.
if the earpads are coming off that easily then the magnets cant be very strong? or is it something else?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #4,311 of 7,331
I think the pads are glued to that base with the magnets. So make sure you are grabbing the edges and pulling up and not pulling up on the pads themselves. Hope that make sense. ;p

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4,312 of 7,331
Thanks for the replies, I have sent an email to Abyss asking their take on this and will update when they reply.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #4,313 of 7,331
Thanks for the replies, I have sent an email to Abyss asking their take on this and will update when they reply.
Let us know how it turns out

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4,314 of 7,331
I have had a reply from Abyss (who respond very promptly it has to be said).

"Those are early Phi’s from 2018. We’ve improved on the magnetic rings since. If you ever wish to order a new set of pads (now in black) they would have better hold."

I admit to being slightly surprised that they are early 2018, I purchased from a seller who himself bought ex-demo from a shop about three months ago. At least I have my answer.

The pads are not really an issue for me as mentioned earlier, I would however be interested to know if there had been any improvements to the sound since my ones were manufactured as that would be a little irritating.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #4,315 of 7,331
And to answer my own question, Abyss advised also - "Sonically they would be the same, with the exception of a slightly different acoustic with the new ear pad style of recent."

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #4,316 of 7,331
Those who have the Gsx Mini and any abyss headphone, is it worth getting the DACT attenuated version for the extra cash? Is there a discernable difference?

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #4,317 of 7,331
Those who have the Gsx Mini and any abyss headphone, is it worth getting the DACT attenuated version for the extra cash? Is there a discernable difference?
In what, sound? Of course not. In use case, possibly. I believe it's 3 db increments, which for me is too much, so I went with ALPS because I didn't want to be stuck at too low/high. But this isn't really an issue if you have other forms of volume control. The clicking on the DACT is nice though if that's your kind of thing.

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #4,319 of 7,331
In what, sound? Of course not. In use case, possibly. I believe it's 3 db increments, which for me is too much, so I went with ALPS because I didn't want to be stuck at too low/high. But this isn't really an issue if you have other forms of volume control. The clicking on the DACT is nice though if that's your kind of thing.
Odd, I heard people on a different website saying it actually altered the sound of the amp. Typical snake oil I suppose :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,320 of 7,331
I agree with the guys. I had the DACT version because it was the only one available here. But for sensitive headphones/IEMs the 3db can be just what is needed to be “too loud”.

even the Abyss guys suggest to get the non DACT version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back