Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #4,276 of 7,227
Hey all, I just got a pair of Diana Phi's off of a head fi-er here on the forums, I noticed a slight driver rattle or something similar in the headphones when listening to a few tracks. I have a track where it's super easy to spot, I know a lot of people say these headphones are very unforgiving with recordings so I thought I'd check here and see if any other phi users notice this rattle, at around 20-25 seconds of All the Earth by Jessica Curry, I can hear this sort of vibration sound coming from my left ear cup towards the bottom of the cup. I'd like to make sure it's not the recording before I pursue any sort of warranty rma or return. Thanks! Here's the track link from Tidal. https://tidal.com/browse/track/49492811

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #4,277 of 7,227
Just played it on my Dv2 with deezer hifi and did not hear any rattling. Nice song !

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,279 of 7,227
Diana love tube amp, woo is my prefered
Do you think Woo tubes better than Broadway which specifically tuned for Abyss? At least warmer?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #4,281 of 7,227
GS-X mini sounds nice as well. Ifi Diablo not much, too dry.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #4,282 of 7,227
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #4,283 of 7,227
Do you think Dryness is one of the planar magnetic headphone characteristics?
When paired with neutral source that tend to happen. So maybe that’s a thing.
I don’t have much experience with Planars anyway, but the ones I had that was the case.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #4,284 of 7,227
When paired with neutral source that tend to happen. So maybe that’s a thing.
I don’t have much experience with Planars anyway, but the ones I had that was the case.
I do miss the musical experience with my old fashioned Grados and full on Focals, but I put on V2 everyday, something special about it, maybe the bass texture, holographic fluid mids, but treble and vocal could be better.

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #4,285 of 7,227
There are too many pad versions which all look alike, I'm fine with current pads, and I do wish soundstage a little wider while the depth is great already.
Just checked on WA8, it says 250mw@32ohm, you sure it's powerful enough? It's good looking though, and the size is exactly what I want.
There are 3 different pads AFAIK. First is the original Diana pad, then at 2020 there is Diana V2 pad, then lately there is the newest pad seen on Diana Phi (and later also Diana V2).

Yes, its power is rather small, but produce great result. Only problem is with some dsd recording or classical that require high volume to shine (may not enough volume). The other alternative is with Cayin C9, but with the price, I prefer desktop set up.

Anyway, today I got loaned Hugo TT2 and it blew me away (very initial impression though!).

Everything seems cohesive, extremely fluid, clean micro detail presented in such effortless way, that I believe will never cause ear fatigue. Midrange become clean, full body, and I get the lush feeling which is perfect for my taste. Not syrupy, but definitely far from dry.

Also, bass, here is the solid punch with full control and accuracy.

I'm not sure if using XLR output will result better result? Need to create adapter first though. The 6.3mm output is powerful, currently I listen at -21 High gain.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4,286 of 7,227
Hey all, I'm running my diana phi's off of a gumby and mjolnir 2, I was looking at a few different amps in my price range (sub 1500), and found the gsx mini and wa11. I'm looking for a little less air around instruments and sounds, especially in edm everything sounds a little lean. With the Mjolnir 2 the mids sound weak and the treble is a little shrill. I'd love to darken the mids and give them a little more weight, if you have any recommendations or have input on either the gsx mini or the wa11 it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #4,287 of 7,227
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #4,288 of 7,227
Hey all, I'm running my diana phi's off of a gumby and mjolnir 2, I was looking at a few different amps in my price range (sub 1500), and found the gsx mini and wa11. I'm looking for a little less air around instruments and sounds, especially in edm everything sounds a little lean. With the Mjolnir 2 the mids sound weak and the treble is a little shrill. I'd love to darken the mids and give them a little more weight, if you have any recommendations or have input on either the gsx mini or the wa11 it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Getting an amp for Diana Phi actually is not that easy (sound wise, not power). You darken and thicken the sound, may remove the natural and smeared the rich of detail. Make them airy and bright, could lose the bass weight, it still remain smooth though on upper mid/treble. Something like ZMF Verite is much more "friendly" in this case. Easily pairing with dark/bright set up.

I've been trying with many devices (multiple dac/amp) for Diana Phi/V2, so far there are two items that stuck on my mind, these two items do "change significantly" Diana in really pleasing way:

- For amp it is Formula S, that transform Diana into a solid rock sound, with wide soundstage, and pronounce the neutrality at best.
- DAC+Amp: Chord Hugo TT2. Mind you it's still initial impression (less than 15 hours listening time), but I noticed the synergy is really enjoyable (More than direct from Dave). Same reason like Formula S above, everything seems fuller, tone become more dense, but remain produce high resolution and plenty of detail in effortless way.

Anyway for your question, I bet GSX Mini will slaughter WA11. I never heard GSX Mini though, but had compared WA11 and GSX Mk2, and the result was not even close, GSX win easily.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #4,289 of 7,227
Ive heard that the Formula S and Broadway share similarities but I believe I asked you bout the Powerman inclusion and you said the bass was not missing or underwhelming @TheMiddleSky and that it change the presentation.
Its strange that Abyss themselves recommend just getting the Broadway if you own a Diana.
Ill probably end up with a pair of closed Diana or 1266 so jumping onto the Formula is an easy choice.

Was it you who posted that it has some noise when plugged into something high impedance like a Verite? Eitherway, im saving up for Canjam Irvine?? I live 8 hours away (driving) but id love to go to CanJam New York and try out some new rigs. Or better yet travel to Singapore. Never been to your country.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,290 of 7,227
Ive heard that the Formula S and Broadway share similarities but I believe I asked you bout the Powerman inclusion and you said the bass was not missing or underwhelming @TheMiddleSky and that it change the presentation.
Its strange that Abyss themselves recommend just getting the Broadway if you own a Diana.
Ill probably end up with a pair of closed Diana or 1266 so jumping onto the Formula is an easy choice.

Was it you who posted that it has some noise when plugged into something high impedance like a Verite? Eitherway, im saving up for Canjam Irvine?? I live 8 hours away (driving) but id love to go to CanJam New York and try out some new rigs. Or better yet travel to Singapore. Never been to your country.

Sadly I never heard Broadway, would love to compare it to Formula S. I know at least 4 person in my local community who run their Diana Phi/V2 with Formula S, without own the AB1266. Yes, it is that good.

About ZMF Verite, yeah, I felt a faint of hissing sound when connected to Formula S.

At first my wish list is also use Formula S someday, to pair with my Hugo 2. However... I may rethink my decision about that.

In my current desk:

2021_0822_23244500.jpg

While I realise that audio is all about human hearing, sometimes I hope measurement do their job nicely and let me purchase device that better on measurement (read: singxer amp) so my wallet will not suffer a lot.

However, the TT2 obliterate it easily. It's even better with TT2 direct compare to TT2 + Singxer.

I never tried TT2 + Formula S yet, but I did tried Chord Dave + Formula S, and definitely this combo better than Dave alone for Diana Phi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back