Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,536 of 7,328
Thanks for the heads up!

I see that you have the Black Label... have you tried that with the Diana V2?
I have indeed and it's a great pairing. I also auditioned the V1 & Phi with it and it works well with all of them. It's worth noting though, that these are the first headphones I've used with it where I found it necessary to use the 'Normal' (middle) power mode as opposed to 'Eco' (lowest) on the BL. With both variations of the Diana the Eco mode sounds considerably thinner, albeit still crystal clear. To me this is inline with what Abyss have said about their cans needing a lot of power to drive properly.

I also briefly auditioned the Phi with the WA11 on the same day and it sounded fine to me, not really better in any way than the BL, but this was a very quick audition, not a thorough test. But I have to wade into some of the discourse so far... it absolutely does not sound 'trash'. The WA11 though does seem like a pretty unreasonable ask, given the price, however. Even if the iDSD BL proved to be any less capable in audio reproduction, the incredibly clever design and engineering of it blow the competition away, in my opinion. The BL sounds great and is basically a Swiss-army knife device in it's utility. The fact that the iDSD BL doubles as a true desktop solution adds greatly to this (the BL has a smart charging feature that stops it overcharging the battery when plugged in, preserving battery life).

Combined with my recent experience and the wide range of comments people have made in regards to elements such as bass quantity on the Diana's, I can't help but agree with Abyss' emphasis on the importance of upstream gear & correct fit. For example, people have commented about the Dianna's being bass light, or thin, or some other similar sentiment. When run through either my Mini or iDSD BL (on normal power mode) & with the fit set up as per Abyss instructions, these statements made without filtered through the gear they're using are simply inaccurate. This isn't a slight against anyone in particular, but it's also not 'people hear things differently'. I'd say that with the Dianna, and other demanding gear, it's very important to qualify what gear you're using, as it drastically affects the sound.

Also, FWIW, I have briefly tried the V2 through a Modius -> Drop THX789 and they sounded bad. I haven't tested much beyond trying to eject immediately, so I'll save further impression until I do, but it was not pleasant.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2,537 of 7,328
the wa11 is excellent and drives the diana phi with ease....dont listen to all the naysayers....

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,538 of 7,328
I've been back and forth between listening to the V2 with my SR25 + A5 and just the SR25. It's nice because I honestly can listen to either and be satisfied.

However, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Kann Cube today to see if output power (as well as potential synergy) can really highlight the sound characteristics of this amazing headphone.

It's funny because yesterday I told myself, "What's the big deal?" and decided to do some A/B'ing between the V2 and my Sony MDR-1am2. It didn't take long for me to feel foolish in thinking that these headphones weren't that different from one another (especially considering that one is closed and one is open). I was just wondering if the hype is real, and IT'S REAL.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #2,539 of 7,328
I've been back and forth between listening to the V2 with my SR25 + A5 and just the SR25. It's nice because I honestly can listen to either and be satisfied.

However, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Kann Cube today to see if output power (as well as potential synergy) can really highlight the sound characteristics of this amazing headphone.

It's funny because yesterday I told myself, "What's the big deal?" and decided to do some A/B'ing between the V2 and my Sony MDR-1am2. It didn't take long for me to feel foolish in thinking that these headphones weren't that different from one another (especially considering that one is closed and one is open). I was just wondering if the hype is real, and IT'S REAL.
V2 and MDR are completely different class of headphones dude

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,540 of 7,328
I don't think that the Abyss Diana V2 has any absence of bass, but I'm just used to hearing IEMs like the Vega, Oriolus MKII and Final Audio E5000 which all have boosted bass.

I think that the V2 accurately portrays how much bass was intended in the track. I'm starting to like this aspect a lot.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,541 of 7,328
Got my V2s a couple weeks ago and am absolutely loving them! I'll post some quick impressions soon.

I am currently driving them from a micro BL and also a liquid platinum, but I am wondering how these would sound with a good quality SS amp. Other than the XI and Headamp options that Abyss sells, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,542 of 7,328
Got my V2s a couple weeks ago and am absolutely loving them! I'll post some quick impressions soon.

I am currently driving them from a micro BL and also a liquid platinum, but I am wondering how these would sound with a good quality SS amp. Other than the XI and Headamp options that Abyss sells, does anyone have any other recommendations?

I've tended to stick to Burson and Violectric amplifiers.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2,543 of 7,328
I don't think that the Abyss Diana V2 has any absence of bass, but I'm just used to hearing IEMs like the Vega, Oriolus MKII and Final Audio E5000 which all have boosted bass.

I think that the V2 accurately portrays how much bass was intended in the track. I'm starting to like this aspect a lot.
Absolutely agree. Also, they've got some of the best sub-bass I've heard... and I've had a few Audeze's. I've never been great at describing various parts of the spectrum, but it does sound to me like there's a bit less mid-bass than some 'bassier' cans, but good god, kick drums especially sound fantastic.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,545 of 7,328
So, have been testing it for a decent amount of time - but I didn't really need to, within seconds I knew it was true -

The best portable amp currently available for Diana is the Bx-2 Plus by Romi Audio

It's transparent like a ghost. Delivers 5.9 watts of power and has all 3.5,2.5 and 4.4 ports for line in and line out.

Amazing power to actually let the Diana shine, I'm running it with my Phi. If you do not drive them properly, they may get 'loud' but they're not sounding anywhere near as good as they can. Not even just adding power makes the sound better, actually driving them right changes the whole signature they produce, to the point where I'm finally able to realize what they're mean to sound like. Beautiful amp, but make sure you have a really high end DAC because this amp is so clean it'll actually show what your DAC limitations are. So high end DAC is actually worth It here.

Best portable solution and it's the size of a DAP. I've have bought and tried Kann cube, Black Label micro, Xcann, WA11, fiio M15 overeat, etc. Nothing does them justice but this amp finally I have found something that does serve them properly

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,546 of 7,328
So, have been testing it for a decent amount of time - but I didn't really need to, within seconds I knew it was true -

The best portable amp currently available for Diana is the Bx-2 Plus by Romi Audio

It's transparent like a ghost. Delivers 5.9 watts of power and has all 3.5,2.5 and 4.4 ports for line in and line out.

Amazing power to actually let the Diana shine, I'm running it with my Phi. If you do not drive them properly, they may get 'loud' but they're not sounding anywhere near as good as they can. Not even just adding power makes the sound better, actually driving them right changes the whole signature they produce, to the point where I'm finally able to realize what they're mean to sound like. Beautiful amp, but make sure you have a really high end DAC because this amp is so clean it'll actually show what your DAC limitations are. So high end DAC is actually worth It here.

Best portable solution and it's the size of a DAP. I've have bought and tried Kann cube, Black Label micro, Xcann, WA11, fiio M15 overeat, etc. Nothing does them justice but this amp finally I have found something that does serve them properly

i've never seen anything that does 5.9W at 32ohm in that size

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,547 of 7,328
i've never seen anything that does 5.9W at 32ohm in that size

Exactly. It's really amazing. And it does it super cleanly. And very high end, not a frankenstein hack job just to get power. This thing is super refined. It's quite amazing honestly puts all these other external amps to shame. Why are there external amps being made putting out 300 mw and such. I don't get the point especially with most DAPs going past that.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,548 of 7,328
Exactly. It's really amazing. And it does it super cleanly. And very high end, not a frankenstein hack job just to get power. This thing is super refined. It's quite amazing honestly puts all these other external amps to shame. Why are there external amps being made putting out 300 mw and such. I don't get the point especially with most DAPs going past that.

pure class A 5.9W in that size does seem like quite an achievement

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,549 of 7,328

Sounds nice, but it's pretty hefty at 300g. Add that to a DAP or whatnot and you're carrying around 400+ grams. It's definitely more transportable than portable in my view.

I'm glad you are liking it though.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,550 of 7,328
Sounds nice, but it's pretty hefty at 300g. Add that to a DAP or whatnot and you're carrying around 400+ grams. It's definitely more transportable than portable in my view.

I'm glad you are liking it though.

Sure, you can say transportable but it's depending on perspective. No other portable option actually let's you hear your Diana properly and you spent 3k+ on then sooo.. to my opinion I say it's the only solution that's adequate for Diana that isn't desktop and you can move around. You can carry it and anywhere you sit down just place it down with you. It's quite a good solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back