Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 11, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #1,141 of 7,328
The stock Diana cable is 1.5 meters (5 FT) in length (not 1.2M) and offers proper balance with our headphone.

In terms of sound, you're welcome to your opinion, but in my experience in designing cables a typical teflon insulated silver conductor has a leaner sound. It may work for you if you have a soft or bloated sounding system, or appreciate a brighter presentation, but in my experience it's a fault to balance out another fault which skews the decision making process going forward in terms of system upgrades; will always need to choose gear, interconnects, AC cables, etc. that stray toward the darker side of neutral. Not to mention the teflon jacket is a bit stiff and will translate motion noise to the headphone.

In terms of connection to the Diana, the extended 2.5 mm stereo plugs used on that cable were originally designed for the likes of cel phones, not Diana, so lacks proper strain relief and will place stress on the headphone jacks rather than the headphone shell as designed. Diana should interface to a 2.5 mm mono plug whose body just fits inside her shell so the cable connector body translates force to the headphone shell, not the jacks inside Diana. ABYSS cables have injection molded 2.5 mm gold mono connectors to perfectly mate with Diana.
(Aftermarket manufactures should use connectors similar in body diameter to a Switchcraft 880X where the body of the 2.5 mm plug just fits inside the recessed jack opening of Diana.)

Customer can order any of our headphones with a custom cable length (cost depends on length), just need to ask. We also sell stock Diana cables in longer lengths and different amp plug styles, most customers who use her portable and desktop have more than one cable.

Being a cable manufacturer we also offer a very nicely hand-made Superconductor HP upgrade cable for those with exceptional gear designed to take resolution to another level while maintaining spectral balance (not pushing a tonality shift at you in an attempt to do the same), very tricky thing to do in cable design. Sure it's expensive, but if you're connecting say a Diana Phi to a system North of $10K what this cable offers is priceless.

interesting opinion, thanks!
Fortunately or unfortunately, but most of the stock cables could not reveal full potential of headphones. Cheap materials/ plugs are used in stock cables to gain more margin for companies.

Aftermarket cables could afford premium materials/ geometry/ connectors which could provide better overall performance. Moreover it's a known fact same as that silver sounds open and neutral while silver plated copper could be bright and boring sometimes.

Diana is a great set of headphones and there is no doubts here. We are pleased that it sounds even better with silver than with the stock cable. Of course, there might be better cables available on the market, however price/ performance ration should be taken into consideration here. Also it would be wise to assess cables by their sound/ built quality/ etc, not just by pics. Otherwise it won't be valuable opinion. :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #1,142 of 7,328
Fortunately or unfortunately, but most of the stock cables could not reveal full potential of headphones. Cheap materials/ plugs are used in stock cables to gain more margin for companies.

Aftermarket cables could afford premium materials/ geometry/ connectors which could provide better overall performance. Moreover it's a known fact same as that silver sounds open and neutral while silver plated copper could be bright and boring sometimes.

Diana is a great set of headphones and there is no doubts here. We are pleased that it sounds even better with silver than with the stock cable. Of course, there might be better cables available on the market, however price/ performance ration should be taken into consideration here. Also it would be wise to assess cables by their sound/ built quality/ etc, not just by pics. Otherwise it won't be valuable opinion. :)
What's the most core cable you guy's make? I seen that you guy's had a diamond series that has 28.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,143 of 7,328
If Joe says the relatively weak Sony WM1Z DAP works great I'd say the Woo would be just fine for drive... easily way more than enough.

WM1Z in HI Gain mode is plenty loud for me for home use. DMP-Z1 can play much much louder and sounds stunning with Diana Phi.

I did a side by side comparison between stock cable and Superconductor this weekend. The stock cable is no slouch... the Super is much more weight, depth, details, and elevation in the soundstage. The Superconductor does not mess with the character of the sound signature. It elevates it which is what a good upgrade cable should do.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,144 of 7,328
WM1Z in HI Gain mode is plenty loud for me for home use. DMP-Z1 can play much much louder and sounds stunning with Diana Phi.

Key word: "relatively".

Compared to the Wa11 Topaz the Sony referenced is relatively weak. I have no doubt that the transducer, given its specs, will be driven fine with the Sony WM1Z.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #1,146 of 7,328
You're in the wrong thread preaching about cheap cable materials ABYSS_SMILEY_1266-1.png
We have a new mascot! ABYSS_SMILEY_1266-1.png Will have stickers at our booth in NYC CanJam this weekend along with some very fine sounding Diana's.

Aftermarket cables could afford premium materials/ geometry/ connectors which could provide better overall performance..

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 13, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,147 of 7,328
Hey Guys,

I just did, or tried to do, my first video review. I decided to do it about the Diana Phi. Its my first try, so please give me any feedback you have, on things I can improve. Lighting is a big one, so I'm going to work on that. I'll also try to talk about the sound a bit more next time. Apart from that, your guys suggestions are key. Thanks for watching if you take the time to, I really appreciate it :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,148 of 7,328
Hey Guys,

I just did, or tried to do, my first video review. I decided to do it about the Diana Phi. Its my first try, so please give me any feedback you have, on things I can improve. Lighting is a big one, so I'm going to work on that. I'll also try to talk about the sound a bit more next time. Apart from that, your guys suggestions are key. Thanks for watching if you take the time to, I really appreciate it :)

Okay, lighting, just get a light :). And I can't hearrrrr youuuuu! lol otherwise I think it's okay,

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,149 of 7,328
Hey Guys,

I thought it was a great review :) And it's making me more excited when i get my own pair tomorrow.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,151 of 7,328
Okay, lighting, just get a light :). And I can't hearrrrr youuuuu! lol otherwise I think it's okay,

OK. Lights I can figure out. Sound, I'll talk louder and closer to the mic. Thanks man.

I thought it was a great review :) And it's making me more excited when i get my own pair tomorrow.

Thanks man. Thats exciting, I really hope you enjoy them.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,152 of 7,328
OK. Lights I can figure out. Sound, I'll talk louder and closer to the mic. Thanks man.

Thanks man. Thats exciting, I really hope you enjoy them.
I've never attempted my own "video" review because I think my voice will sound like schiit lol. Hey, at least you tried brother, always after a few times, things get much better with everything.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,153 of 7,328
Hey Guys,

Decent 1st ever video review. Thanks for posting it.

Did Abyss update the original Diana headband too? Also, is it possible to get the original Diana with the Phi pads?

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,154 of 7,328
Decent 1st ever video review. Thanks for posting it.

Did Abyss update the original Diana headband too? Also, is it possible to get the original Diana with the Phi pads?

I don't believe so on the original Diana headband, but I could be wrong. @Joe Skubinski would be the best person to ask.

I believe the Phi pads will be available for purchase separately, but due to the difference in the headbands, might not work well on the original Diana. Again, Joe will know better than me :) Remembering the time I tried the original Diana, the difference in the headbands isn't huge.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,155 of 7,328
I retract some of my statement earlier about your review, i got to listen to it at home instead of the office and can hear everything clearly. And with everything you just said it sounds like the Utopia on steroids. I want them! This will be my main focus for Canjam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back