Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,111 of 7,328
I actually really like the stock cable. Its non microphonic, flexible. Its actually better in terms of use than the AB-1266 Phi CC cable, not sure about sonics.

Anyhow, this morning has been full of Pantera and the Diana Phi. I've been using the Micro iDSD Black Label from iFi Audio for the last month as my Hugo TT2 is broken. It makes for a wonderful pairing with the Diana Phi. My BL has been through the wars, but remains my most used bit of gear. Its fantastic. Sounds good, and does literally everything. Definitely recommended for those with Diana/Diana Phi if you don't want to spend a fortune on your source.

IMG_0622.jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,112 of 7,328
Got my personal pair of Diana Phi with Superconductor upgrade cable (4.4mm balanced) yesterday. First impressions is the exceptional build and comfort. They don't clamp my head like other headphones do. After wearing Diana Phi for an hour or two, going back to my MDR-Z1r it felt like my head is being pressed. By no means the Sony Z1r have high clamping force, they are very comfy but compared to Diana Phi they do not disappear.

Stay tuned for unboxing and review video. :)

Diana upgrade cable.jpg IMG_0453.jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,113 of 7,328
Got my personal pair of Diana Phi with Superconductor upgrade cable (4.4mm balanced) yesterday. First impressions is the exceptional build and comfort. They don't clamp my head like other headphones do. After wearing Diana Phi for an hour or two, going back to my MDR-Z1r it felt like my head is being pressed. By no means the Sony Z1r have high clamping force, they are very comfy but compared to Diana Phi they do not disappear.

Stay tuned for unboxing and review video. :)

Can't wait for the video. Do you have the original stock cable as well? Is the difference large? I'm hoping to upgrade at some point in the future :)

100% agreed on the clamping. It took me a while to get used to to it, but once I did, its like wearing nothing at all (almost!)

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #1,114 of 7,328
Of course, everyone IS 'entitled to their own opinion'. That is what forums are for, surely? The original Diana cable (sorry - 1.5M it is! it only seemed shorter), IMO is fine for use with a portable player thingy. For home use, the 3.5mm/6.3mm adaptor adds another connector - not a good idea - and anyway, it's way too short. It sounds fine (but I'm standing up, next to the equipment stands to use it!) - what you'd expect for a paying this much for a pair of cans. But the surprise to me was a) that adding a QED 3M extender cable did not make for any 'massive drop' in sound quality, and that b) changing completely to the Lavricable (a seriously well-made piece of European kit) improved things so much right across the sound-spectrum (I would say too that QED are no dumbos either, when it comes to audio cables). There you go. Try it, you too might be as pleasantly surprised... [A propos of this in general, it was interesting to read the new section in HiFi+ recently. Quite a decent review of the 'after-market' headphone cable scene - plenty of stuff there to mull over, these days.]
But really - more important to say! - is that the Diana is a wonderful headphone! And probably the 'Fi' (okay, Phi!) is even better....
And that's it from me, chaps. I'm not really into this forum/chit-chat stuff anyway.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #1,115 of 7,328
Nice to hear you are enjoying them! Though the Diana was always intended as a lightweight portable alternative to their full size 1266 headphone, hence the short flexible cable. The 1266 cables are too long and ridgid for portable use, but that's not the target market for those 'phones... Different designs for different markets and everyone's room is set-up differently too.

You don't have to leave as soon as someone questions your opinion, but if you do, at least take away that the jacks on the headphone need the strain relief moulding thingey built into the connector, so be careful moving around or putting undue stress on them which is easy to do with big cables. :beerchug:

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,116 of 7,328
I chose to have the 1.5m cable because I sit right next to the amplifier on my desk and I use Diana with the gold Sony Walkman when not at my desk. Most dedicated headphone amplifiers don't have a remote controller so if you sit far away and need a long cable, you'll also need to get up to adjust the listening level on the amp. I think most dedicated HP users like myself sit near the amp and don't want a long cable.

ABYSS allow the buyer to choose the length of the cable AND the termination. A 2m length is only $50 more so that's not a deal breaker price IMHO. Many high-end headphones I own don't have the option to choose the cable and termination at the time of purchase. I would have to buy another cable.

A little more than 24 hrs. into Diana Phi driven by the Sony TA-ZH1ES amp/DAC. Igor Levit Bach: Partitas BWV 825-830 on 16/44.1 CD quality, the piano sounds tonally correct, engaging, and I endup listening to the entire first disc. I'm not typically a classical fan. When I do, it is because the sound quality is very good. If you audition Diana Phi, give this album a listen. Piano is really hard to reproduce but Diana Phi hits it out of the park.

71S0k%2BJ900L._SX522_.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,119 of 7,328
For A$6,000 the headphone bag that comes with Abyss Diana Phi looks pretty ugly.
Looks is one thing, practicality is another. Who wants to take their earpads off, collapse their headband and disconnect the cables every time they pack them up. I hate cases like that tbh.
The diana bag you can leave the cables plugged in, earpads on, headband extended, and there's even enough room for your dap in the middle to leave them plugged into that if you like, so it definitely has the user in mind. While the hard case looks nice, wank factor does not necessarily equal better... Not even room for sunscreen.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,120 of 7,328
Looks is one thing, practicality is another. Who wants to take their earpads off, collapse their headband and disconnect the cables every time they pack them up. I hate cases like that tbh.
The diana bag you can leave the cables plugged in, earpads on, headband extended, and there's even enough room for your dap in the middle to leave them plugged into that if you like, so it definitely has the user in mind. While the hard case looks nice, wank factor does not necessarily equal better... Not even room for sunscreen.

Just for the record, the earpads you see in that suitcase are the extra pair that they come with. You don’t have to remove the earpads to get it in the case. That case is top notch. It’s made out of aluminum and it’s very light.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #1,121 of 7,328
I like the fabric case for Diana. I actually prefer the old label on it, but its not a huge deal. The old one is a bit more chilled out looking in terms of detail. I guess its just personal preference.

With all that being said, the Empyrean case looks amazing, and like the headphone, well built etc...

There is nothing wrong with either option, different companies do things differently. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Old bag

abyss4.jpg

New Bag

diana_case_black_2048x.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,122 of 7,328
the diana is a portable headphone, whereas the empyrean is a full-sized headphone. the diana's carry bag and empyrean's carry case have somewhat different purposes i think. i suspect that the latter may provide more protection for your expensive headphone purchase tho. my local headphone dealer sells both headphones and also disparaged the diana's carry bag.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,123 of 7,328
Nothing wrong with a hard case - something like the old Audeze cases would be good for protection, but you should just be able to leave everything plugged in and headband extended, and some room for extras IMO.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #1,125 of 7,328
I found that while the matted paint in the Diana's look cool, they can also scratch very easily if you are not careful. Mine have a few scratches, which I don't mind, but may decrease any re-sale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back