Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 29, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #977 of 7,330
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #979 of 7,330
Going to hear Diana (finally, after three years of waiting) for the first time today. Will report back with my findings :)

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #981 of 7,330
dude please dont do this!, LOL I better control my impulsive buying urges. Want them so bad, but I dont need them!

On a serious note, how do they compare to non portable full size headphones in the same price range.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #983 of 7,330
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #984 of 7,330
I didn't have my phone with me for any photos, but I got a chance to listen to the Diana yesterday at "The Music Room" in Glasgow, Scotland. Great little shop, friendly owners. They had both the Diana and AB-1266 Phi CC out for Demo. They also had the XI Audio Formula S amp out for demo, but I didn't have time to give it a listen. It looks like a real tank of an amp though. They also had the little display that shows how Diana is made from a block of aluminium, which was pretty neat. The demo pair of Diana was in the black colour, and looked great IMO. I know Abyss headphones looks are a bit polarising, but I like Diana and the AB-1266.

What surprised me first of all, was how light Diana is. Very light and....bendy? You can twist and contort the headband. Its actually a really neat system. I've attached two photos of it below.

nT1tEcD.jpg

U2tIg4M.jpg

Ok. I found Diana so, so comfortable. I have read a few impressions where people found it so uncomfortable that they didn't even bother listening, which is a shame. I must have a weirdly shaped head or something, because they just worked for me. Definitely a headphone to try yourself before purchasing if you can, as they might work for you, or they might not. One thing I was really worried about was having my ears fit inside the pads, as Diana is billed as a transportable headphone. Thankfully, they fit inside the pads just fine, though it was very close. If you have really big ears, you might have some trouble. Due to the light weight, once I had the Dianas on my head, they just seemed to disappear. I really did find them comfortable.

Sound wise, you can certainly tell Diana is an Abyss headphone. Love it or hate it, they have a certain sound. I happen to love it, but I know some people don't, so again, best to listen if you can prior to purchasing. Authoritative bass, mids a tiny bit pulled back, and highs that have great detail and clarity. Well, the headphones on a whole have great detail and clarity to be honest. Apart from the AB-1266 Phi, I haven't heard such a punchy headphone. The Diana really seems to be the most dynamic headphone I have heard, again, apart from the AB-1266. It sound like a mini AB-1266 with a tiny bit more mids, and a bit smoother treble. The soundstage isn't as wide and enveloping as the AB-1266, but is still wider than most headphones. I think that in terms of detail, Diana is great, both macro and micro detail are superb. The bass is really well done. Hits hard and fast.

All in all, with the short amount of time I had with Diana, it made a great first impression. I was really surprised by the comfort, and ease of wear. I was expecting the Abyss sound signature, and it delivered.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #985 of 7,330
Ok. I found Diana so, so comfortable. I have read a few impressions where people found it so uncomfortable that they didn't even bother listening, which is a shame. I must have a weirdly shaped head or something, because they just worked for me. Definitely a headphone to try yourself before purchasing if you can, as they might work for you, or they might not.

I tried the Diana for the first time at the recent London CanJam. I found them unexpectedly uncomfortable - so much so that I didn't bother listening for more than a minute or two. I find it hard to describe exactly what was wrong, but it just felt like something had attached itself to my head and I had an impulse to tear it off as quickly as possible. Talking to others, I'm not alone in that reaction (not necessarily using my exact description). Some people will find them very comfortable and some very much won't. I don't think I have a particularly large/small/unusually shaped head, so it's not clear what the deciding factor is that causes these discrepacies.

Shame, because I agree the Dianas were very light, and looked good, and sounded good (with the usual caveats of listening in noisy meet conditions). But, with regret, these are now off my contenders short list.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #986 of 7,330
Diana fits about 85% of heads well, certainly a majority of people and moreso than most.
For those who are outliers to her shapely design, or who are simply accustomed to really large bulky ear pads that stick out like a sore thumb, a second ear pad option is upcoming.smiley_abyss1.png

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #987 of 7,330
I have Utopia, Z1r and many high end phones here. They all sound great but Diana is in a league of its own. The others are in the ballpark but they are not playing the same game.

Diana’s fit is not like other headphones. Similar to ABYSS, it doesn’t squeeze your head and it takes your brain time to adjust to that mindset. Once you wear Diana for 10-15 minutes and you go back to traditional headphones those would feel like a vice grip clamping on your head. When you audition Diana, give yourself time to adjust.

56911DDC-5488-4FFD-A4DD-981DD4F07740.jpeg 14E4E365-A6FD-4EE1-A00D-C053172883F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #988 of 7,330
I tried the Diana for the first time at the recent London CanJam. I found them unexpectedly uncomfortable - so much so that I didn't bother listening for more than a minute or two. I find it hard to describe exactly what was wrong, but it just felt like something had attached itself to my head and I had an impulse to tear it off as quickly as possible. Talking to others, I'm not alone in that reaction (not necessarily using my exact description). Some people will find them very comfortable and some very much won't. I don't think I have a particularly large/small/unusually shaped head, so it's not clear what the deciding factor is that causes these discrepacies.

Shame, because I agree the Dianas were very light, and looked good, and sounded good (with the usual caveats of listening in noisy meet conditions). But, with regret, these are now off my contenders short list.

i had the same impression, feels just like your head is stuck between the wall or something

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #990 of 7,330
What I’ve found is Diana has poor fit for ppl with glasses. Also I tried the old 1266 pads on my Diana and they hugely improved the sound stage and bass.

PLUS: I sold my 9.6/10 Diana after a month to fund 1266 phi cc after a month but the buyer informed me of a driver failure two weeks after he received it. I think it’s quite unusual to have a driver failure in 6 weeks under normal use. Anyone experienced the same issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back