Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by music alchemist, Aug 13, 2015.
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last
  1. MacedonianHero Contributor
    IMO, neither headphone has a narrow soundstage. Grado on-ears...that's a narrow soundstage.

2. mahesvara
    Well, it takes quite a bit of money to expand the soundstage of the Utopia, but it does sound small and closed-in on the much cheaper/smaller rig I had then. I heard the Diana in comparison with the Phi and boy ... the soundstage of the Diana is small. Otherwise, the Phi and the Diana sound very similar.

3. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Yeah, if you were comparing the Diana to the Phi, it's not really a fair comparison. But for small, portable headphones, the Diana are among the biggest sounding I've heard. The Abyss Phi and HD800/800S have the widest sound stage there is. But unlike the HD800/S, the Phi bring the bass and offer what I consider the most "speaker-like" presentation I've heard yet. The Utopia do need a cable upgrade (the stock cable is really holding these back) to say the Dana Cable Lazuli Reference and a Chord DAVE to really get them going. The Phi sound fantastic out of the DAVE as well, but after several days, I think I prefer the Phi with the DAVE + added power of the GS-X Mk2.

4. up late
    we've moved o/t but i gave the utopia a brief listen last week before placing a deposit on one. it was being driven by a wa6 and i wouldn't describe the presentation as small or closed-in sounding for a headphone. i've heard headphones with more expansive presentations such as the hd800/s, but soundstage isn't something that i look to headphones for. if i want soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers. call me sceptical but having heard the utopia on different rigs ranging from modestly priced to expensive, i question how throwing money at ancillary equipment will improve its 'soundstaging' capabilities.

back to the diana - is the headband adjustable?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. mulder01
    Hmm, given that:
    The diana and phi have similar tech in the drivers / same manufacturer etc, and
    When you press the drivers of the 1266 against your head, you lose soundstage,
    This actually makes a lot of sense.

mahesvara likes this.
  6. Beagle
    What is a soundstage? You must mean footprint.

7. Beagle
    Originally October, then mid-November, now last week of November. That's the final frontier for me.

8. mulder01
    um, wot?

endgame likes this.
  9. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Cool...looking forward to hearing your impressions!

10. Beagle
    So am I. But if it's delayed again, there won't be any.

11. mulder01
    If it gets pushed back to December (or later), you're cancelling?

12. Beagle
    Yeah, I can only hold out so long, after paying for something expensive. Let's just hope it's on schedule for end of November. I suppose they could build a couple and send to already-paid customers but I'm sure that's not how it works.

13. mulder01
    Yeah, do you have to pay the full amount when you order? I guess if it's delayed 2 weeks and you cancel, you'll still be just as curious about it though.

They probably announced it a bit early - over 2 years ago they mentioned this was coming out soon... I suppose it's better to get it right than to just get it out and either have a sub-par product, or revise it after it's release and piss-off the early adopters.

14. Beagle
    You pay the full amount when you order.

I've brought his up time and time again, but don't you think it's a good idea to perfect something, then bring it on? This is very much a recent (past 5 years) thing where you bring out the prototype and tour it for 6 months, getting opinions, then go back and redesign it to "proper spec". When the DT880, HD650, RS-1 and HD800 came out, it was the real deal ready to go. Now you get upstarts bringing in an idea to shows, getting feedback, finding out if their idea works or not, if it appeals to the masses. This is all very well and good, but don't do advertising on something that is not ready to go for another half-year. The demand for headphones is already built-in.

Two rules: 1) Never tease a dog. 2) Never tease a Head-Fi-er with a new flagship unless you can deliver the goods the same week :dt880smile:

Wildcatsare1 and ToroFiestaSol like this.
  15. Beagle
    I'm also curious about other headphones (that are out) that I could spend the money on. But yeah...a valid point.

First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last