Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,841 of 7,330
I received them today 😍 At first I wasn't that impressed but as I go through my library of music I am falling in love with my Diana v2 with superconductor cable and dms modded pads.

20210319_171856.jpg

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,842 of 7,330
These came in today, it made the Diana v2 so much more comfortable to wear.

20210321_144621.jpg

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3,843 of 7,330
After a month wait, my Diana V2 in coffee color just arrived. I ordered it with Superconductor cable. My dealer let me listen to normal cable for a month, so should be able to compare these two if anyone is interested (once break in is done).

There aren't many pictures (or owners I guess) of coffee variant, so I hope you enjoy these photos!

F1F7F54D-0511-40A0-A792-59C406BA204A.jpeg67656A1A-1FB9-4BE1-9E05-AAE5AB9FD2B7.jpeg1FB4DA23-20FF-4004-A4A6-E862892CCA0C.jpeg407EE5F6-B5DB-4819-90ED-43891E4CB929.jpeg213F7DF6-33E2-4532-A9F9-A158A57BCED4.jpegC0F2AEDA-6860-4196-81CA-A6C24419AC54.jpegB448B13A-833A-4D84-A928-9117D6856E95.jpegC44C2669-0DAD-481F-AC5F-F0E2E4F8A3AB.jpeg5C85C6A2-5D20-4DBA-A577-64BD607A681E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #3,844 of 7,330
So my initial impressions are as follows.

1) I actually like the brown coffee colour more than I liked the black, yay!
2) Headphones+cables needed a bit of a break in (40h or so of pink noise) as it sounded very off to me compared to broken-in loaner. Muffled/distant, not sure how to explain this, but after a couple of hours, now it is razor sharp again.
3) The quality control on this isn't 100%, the headband is bent with two different angles so for my head I need to use 1 notch on the left and 2 notches on the right. A bit disappointed. Unsure if I can bend it back, or if this happened during transit.
4) Also, the brown leather on the headband has some scuffs and dents in it, unsure as to how this happened or if all leather is like this and it just wasn't visible on the black one.
5) The stock cable was OK, had two parts, one with a rubber sleeving and then clear cable. I did not find the stock cable micro-phonics at all, but I did not like the metal thingy where the cable separates, it was always hitting my table and making sound, or catching against it altogether.
6) The Superconductor cable box is a joke, does not feel premium at all, kinda disappointed here too, for it being a handmade product, I expected more care to be put into it.
7) The Superconductor cable does NOT feel lighter than the stock cable (people on AB-1266 were praising Superconductor cable for how light it is, so maybe AB-1266 stock is even worse/heavier/stiffer).
8) The Superconductor cable feels rougher than I expected. I kinda thought it would be super soft material to touch, and it isn't It is kinda scratchy, but thankfully does not transfer micro-phonics like some other cables do (stock cable on Dan Clark's Ether headphones comes to my mind). Or maybe my hands are too soft?

So overall the Superconductor cable gives me mixed feelings. It costs significant amount of money and it DOES sound absolutely clean, so if you care about audio quality, go for it. However, if you bought Dianas because they are lighter/easier to use than AB-1266 (which was my motivation) then some of my points above are a negative. If you only care about audio quality and the rest is fine for you, all of my negatives become invalid, as I have nothing negative to say about the audio quality. I love these headphones, would buy them again without a question! Now for a cable, sleeved Forza Audio Works Noir is much softer to the touch, but possibly the 2.5mm termination wouldn't fit Diana's shells as well as Abyss stock/superconductor cables do. Another option would be Lavricables Grand cable, as they shave off the end to fit with Dianas snug.

I don't want to speak too much to what I hear, as it is very subjective, and enough positive has been said already. But, as an user of a product, I can speak to its quality (even if only perceived by me and checked against my own standard/expectations), but with headphones ergonomics are very important for me, so that's why I am calling certain things out here. I hope these impressions do not read too negative, but I wanted to be completely honest for those who are thinking of buying Dianas and especially its Superconductor cable. I believe as long as you find an aftermarket cable that you like its properties of (silver, copper, hybrid, coated) and they make it for Dianas explicitly (for its special connector) I honestly think you can save some money, while still having a nice cable that is not micro-phonics, is light and soft to touch/bend. As far as the aesthetics go, having Superconductor cable being two separate wires is kinda cool, but I also wonder if it is necessary for its performance.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Edit: I went to the dealer and he was able to straighten the headband to have the same angle on both sides!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #3,845 of 7,330
I assume this didn't come from Abyss, did you purchase this new from an AD? There should be nothing physically wrong with the headphone. Certainly nothing that requires you to bend it or have different length adjustments on each side. There's no way that could have bent during shipment either, especially since the box looks perfect. I would send it back and ask for a new one.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #3,846 of 7,330
This was bought from a local dealer, who is official distributor for Abyss in Switzerland. I had to wait a month for this piece to arrive. The bend it small, but is is there. Not sure how visible on the picture.

Edit: I went to the dealer and he was able to straighten the headband to have the same angle on both sides!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #3,847 of 7,330
This was bought from a local dealer, who is official distributor for Abyss in Switzerland. I had to wait a month for this piece to arrive. The bend it small, but is is there. Not sure how visible on the picture.

Can't really tell, especially with that headband cover. But yea I hear you, it's tough knowing you'd have to wait for a replacement, especially if you like the headphone. I guess you can try and see if you can bend it back. Good luck!

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #3,848 of 7,330
It is very difficult to tell from the picture, for sure. Took me a while to even notice, as I was confused why it is not fitting on my head properly (even without the headband cover). And then I noticed that the bend starts a bit higher on the right, than on the left, so I think that's what is causing it. Normally, I would attribute this to "perhaps my head shape is uneven", but since the loaner did not have this issue, a new piece struck me as different. In any case, this is something I can live with (really don't want to wait 1-2 months to get this sorted out), I just wanted to report it for others to know.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #3,849 of 7,330
It is very difficult to tell from the picture, for sure. Took me a while to even notice, as I was confused why it is not fitting on my head properly (even without the headband cover). And then I noticed that the bend starts a bit higher on the right, than on the left, so I think that's what is causing it. Normally, I would attribute this to "perhaps my head shape is uneven", but since the loaner did not have this issue, a new piece struck me as different. In any case, this is something I can live with (really don't want to wait 1-2 months to get this sorted out), I just wanted to report it for others to know.
Maybe you can keep that one while the replacement arrives. After paying that much for a headphone I would expect amazing customer service. Talk to your dealer to see what they can do for you.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3,851 of 7,330
New Diana V2 owner here. I like these much better than the Diana Phi’s I use to own. I don’t mind giving up some transparency and resolve to get a much fuller. I’ll take that trade off any day. I also got the Powerman the same day. The combination is simply amazing!

9EA1B5DE-5CA3-4C97-8A62-A08D2D9BF0C5.jpeg

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,852 of 7,330
New Diana V2 owner here. I like these much better than the Diana Phi’s I use to own. I don’t mind giving up some transparency and resolve to get a much fuller. I’ll take that trade off any day. I also got the Powerman the same day. The combination is simply amazing!

I love the V2. On some music I miss the (perceived) transparency of the Phi, but the V2 is much more of an all rounder and more pleasant to listen to on some recordings.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,853 of 7,330
That set up looks so industrial/metallic.
I bet it sounds fantastic. @Slim1970

Im super happy with my Broadway which was the missing link in driving the Diana.
Planning to stick to this rig for a minute.

D14D5D3A-ABD4-482A-A754-77D858AF127F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,854 of 7,330

I need that formula s and powerman in my life

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #3,855 of 7,330
I need that formula s and powerman in my life
It sounds freaking incredible. I cannot believe how much the Powerman elevates the sound of the Formula S. The Diana V2's with Superconductor cable is as good as advertised and comes alive with the Formula S/Powerman combo pulling amp duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back