Diana Krall recommendation
Nov 25, 2002 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought Diana Krall's "When I look in your eyes" and loved it. Then I bought "The look of love" and was disappointed. Base on this, what would you recommend my next Diana Krall purchase be?

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 13
My dad picked this up on DVD weeks ago. I don't think it's much too different from the CD release, but it's some really good listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Love Scenes is a pretty good album too. I too think Look Of Love is a disappointment.

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Live in Paris has songs from the 2 discs I already own. I'll probably buy the DVD, or get the CD a little later. But for the next CD I'd probably prefer to listen to some other songs.

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 13
"All For You" is based upon Nat King Cole songs. Really nice. This is the one I play the most.

"New Moon Daughter" by Cassandra Wilson is nice.

"Modern Cool" by Patrica Barber is also nice.

The latter two are quite different from Krall, but stomp Diana in the public polls.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
"Modern Cool" by Patrica Barber is also nice.

fredpb,

A friend played me a few minutes of Patrica Barber (from cafe blue I think) and the impression was good. Is modern cool your favorite Patrica Barber CD?

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
fredpb,

A friend played me a few minutes of Patrica Barber (from cafe blue I think) and the impression was good. Is modern cool your favorite Patrica Barber CD?

I heard Cafe' Blue, and was really not impressed. But I really love "Modern Cool".

I usually like classical but in a binge I found three really nice CD's I like:

"Modern Cool"- Patricia Barber
"New Mood Daughter" - Cassandra Wilson
"All For You"- Diana Krall.

I have tried other albums by same artists, but was not happy spending the money on them. But the above I love.

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
I bought Diana Krall's "When I look in your eyes" and loved it. Then I bought "The look of love" and was disappointed. Base on this, what would you recommend my next Diana Krall purchase be?

I consider "When I look in your eyes" as the best Diana Krall album yet. Have heard the newer one and 2 of the older ones, which are IMHO not half as good.

I've now moved on to Karrin Allyson...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ze-ant
I consider "When I look in your eyes" as the best Diana Krall album yet. Have heard the newer one and 2 of the older ones, which are IMHO not half as good.

I've now moved on to Karrin Allyson...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi ze-ant, I'm new to Jazz vocal, and am interested in listening to different singers. How'd you compare Karrin Allyson with Diana Krall? Which CD would you recommend?

Cheers!

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Diana Krall is great. I have all her Cds except Live in Paris because I have that on DVD and the DVD has more songs. If you like Diana Krall then I would get the DVD which is great. It sounds fantastic through headphones with a good amp.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 13
I bought "Live in Paris" (DVD) and "All for you".

I listened to "All for you" once, I think it's quite good, though I still prefer "When I look in your eyes" which is probably her best work, like ze-ant said.

"Live in Paris" is fun to watch. "A case of you" in the end is great!

Dec 28, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 13
"All For You" is the one I own and like quite a bit. I haven't heard anything else by Ms. Krall that would make me buy another one of her CDs. The band that accompanies her is quite good and I think that there will be more in the future to like if she gets away from the "pop" category.

I would also recommend Patricia Barber. I haven't heard anything by her that didn't have some real highlights. Can't miss with "Modern Cool". But please note - completely different from Diana Krall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back