Diablo's are Surfacing!
Nov 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #601 of 805
I hope yours works perfect Nick and becomes a rapidly growing trend with future shipments. As crazy as this thread has been I still love the design and intent of this amp.

It's not like orders are still not coming in for any LaRocco product everyday because I'm sure they are. I do feel most of the bugs should have been worked out prior to shipping and a good QC program would have killed this whole thread before it ever got started
eek.gif

I do hope that this product survives it's initial release and even comes down a little in retail cost to be more affordable by many in the portable amp community.

I have always felt the $299.00 mark to be high mark on products of this size regardless of quality or function. This is just my opinion (and you know what those are like
wink.gif
) as I know many could pounce on me for making this type of blanket statement. This hobby is so subjective I also understand those who feel the cost no object approach nets the grand prize!

So now will I eat crow one day and buy a $500.00 amp that has no more in it than a $300.00 amp? Probably but do you think I'm going to tell everyone I did
tongue.gif
LOL

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #602 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news! I just received my Diablo yesterday...burning in as I type. So far the battery has been holding up pretty good, 17 hours and the LED's aren't even dimming yet.

Good news
wink.gif

I hope to receive my amp soon...

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #605 of 805
Quote:

Well, I just checked the amp and battery is dead...roughly 18 hours. Let's see how long the next charge lasts.

What was it supposed to last?

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #608 of 805
Quote:

The pdf from LaRocco says 50 hours. But he suggested charging it and discharging it a few times to wake up the battery. So, I'm going to do that and see where I'm at.

Please let me know!
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #609 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nick, do you have already any impressions regarding the sound?

No, I haven't had any time to do any critical listening...sorry.

I also read more about the battery and the charging circuit on the pdf and it seems that it stops charging after 3 hours, in order for it to charge it more, you have to pull out the plug and reinsert it to charge further....so I'm going to try that. Don't get me wrong, it's only missing the expectations, it ran for a full 18 hours straight...which isn't bad for a portable, about the same as a Hornet.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #610 of 805
Quick update:
I'm trying to fully discharge the battery a few times to see if that will improve the battery life per charge. I've also exchanged emails with Larry and he said the best I could possibly get out of this particular size battery is 37 hours...but expect 25-30. I'm currently on my second session of discharging the battery and its at 22 hours and counting...which is better than the 18 from the previous charge.

So far, so good!
I'll try to procure some decent cans in the near future so I can give y'all some impressions of the sound.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #611 of 805
BTW, if the battery is Lithium Ion, you don't want to keep doing full cycles. Discharging all the way shortens the life of Li-Ion batteries. They do not suffer the memory effect like NiCads and NiMH batteries.

If you really really want to extend your battery life, Li-Ions typically like to be recharged at around the 60% mark.

But yeah, I wouldn't let my wallet touch the Diablo, or any Laracoo product with a ten foot pole.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #612 of 805
Quote:

Quick update:
I'm trying to fully discharge the battery a few times to see if that will improve the battery life per charge. I've also exchanged emails with Larry and he said the best I could possibly get out of this particular size battery is 37 hours...but expect 25-30. I'm currently on my second session of discharging the battery and its at 22 hours and counting...which is better than the 18 from the previous charge.

So far, so good!
I'll try to procure some decent cans in the near future so I can give y'all some impressions of the sound.

Nick, it's my understanding that you should never let Li-Ion batteries drain completely! If the battery drains below 30% (iirc), there is capacity loss. Mine, and many others, arrived dead so I don't know what was lost from the beginning. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

My Diablo, which still works without issue, does not have a battery life of up to 30+ hours or anything like it. It's been about 15ish, and I've unintentionally let it do dead, due to what LaRocco posted re battery life, that it would have much more. If I thought I could get a better battery by sending it back, I would. I'm now nervous that it will die, and sending it back is an undesirable option for many reasons. Because the top's been glued on I'm not sure I know any one who would be able to replace it for me, even if they knew how to work with that kind of battery. I like how the amp sounds, but this is yet another problem.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #614 of 805
I have just seen few pictures on the first page and...

What is this thing?

I want one!!!

This little amp looks simply beautiful, I do not know if it is good, bad, expensive or cheap, but it is a must just for the looks
biggrin.gif

I just wanted to comment my "love-at-first-sight" impressions on this little gem. Now I will do my homework and read about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #615 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now the amp doesn't even have the battery life that it's claimed to have?

This is my experience so far. I am taking recommendations to cycle the charger every three hours up to ten times to see if it brings the battery back up to the required 4.95V. I just don't know about these things, or where my battery stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back