1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DFR vs HA-2SE

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by Jdnoss, Oct 19, 2017.
  1. Jdnoss
    I will soon be moving into the world of high-end IEMs. I am trying to decide whether to get a dragonfly red or a HA-2SE for my portable set-up. I have previously owned a dragonfly red and I liked it. It was very compact and sounded great with the headphones I had at the time, but at the time I was on android and it was shortly after launch so I had nothing but problems with it. Now I have switched to Iphone, and while the dongle is better than my old galaxy S6 it will not do my soon to be new IEM's justice.

So I have narrowed down my choices to going back to the dragonfly red due to its super compact size and portability, or the Oppo HA-2SE for the built in battery and more powerful amp section. At this point I mostly use spotify on the go and at work. As this will be used only with my phone or laptop when I travel I don't plan on doing much in the way of critical listening. When I go to work I don't carry a bag with me as I don't have a laptop so i usually just carry my headphones in their case. The Dragonfly would fit in the case with my headphones but the HA-2 would not.

So, do you save $100 dollars and go ultra portable or do you spend the extra for the power at the expense of more things to carry around.

2. mitsu763
    I found with IEM's and the DFR it was hard to get just the right volume level. I currently own the HA-2SE and find it to be a step up in sound quality and obviously volume control. I find it offers better clarity and a more dynamic sound than the DFR.

Houba likes this.
  3. Houba
    The Oppo is waaaaaaaay better....but bulkier :floatsmile: