Devilsound DAC?
Oct 25, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the Predator and Pico are USB powered. They have Lithium batteries right?

Wrong.
Predator use USB power 5V to drive the internal dac.
The lithium batteries is only for the amp section.
For the Pico, it would be the same but not sure.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #33 of 51
Has anyone heard this DAC please?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #35 of 51
I just saw a review at positive-feedback and I am also interested to know. This looks like an interesting portable solution for computer as source. I would be curious how it compares to hi end, say Cardas or equivalent, mini-to-rca. Surely it is a huge step up. I also wonder how you might use it with an airport express, someday. That would also be worth exploring.

I am sure the BelCanto and Benchmark DACS eat it up, but compared to PreSonus and Monitor and the others, I wonder how it does.

Check this out and see if you are tempted:

devilsound dac virtue two

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #37 of 51
What's with all the bashing - from users who've not even heard the gear critiquing? Multiple times. And not even getting their facts right. It's really unhelpful.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's with all the bashing - from users who've not even heard the gear critiquing? Multiple times. And not even getting their facts right. It's really unhelpful.

Welcome to Head-Fi.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #39 of 51
Please, please do not comment on the SQ of the Devilsound unless you've heard it.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #40 of 51
We have laptops full of music at my house and I was looking for an uptick to the usual mini to RCA. My primary digital sources are a couple of Naim CD players: A CDS2 downstairs and a CD5X upstairs.

This unit ( Version 2 at $279, not the cheaper Version 1) came in yesterday and I can not believe how good it makes our Naim Nait 5i nSat system sound. It is a USA made, bus-powered, non-oversampling, USB DAC the size of a matchbox, with integrated USB and RCA cable, plus a USB to USB extension. I am a little rusty with DACs, since I got rid of my BelCanto when I got the CDS2 several years ago. My Airport Express has sounded lame by comparison since I got it and I saw this cable based setup and it seems like a nice minimalist solution in lieu of the Airport Express.

With my MacBook, it gives the CD5X a pretty fair contest at under $300. And it is a nice improvement in the high end resolution and bass, too. With a 60 day trial, I just could not resist. It is brand new and my impression may change with break-in. But so far so good. It is smoothing out as I listen to it. I have let it run for three or four days full time and it just gets better. Highs are well defined. Bass is more solid. Soundstage seems bigger but this may be the caps breaking in. I have resisted the whole DAC investment until now. I have been happy with my CD player. But I believe I could be happy with the MacBook-Devilsound setup and no CD player. I don't know of a mini to RCA that could make that happen. There may be cheaper matchbox DAC's out there but the Devilsound does not sound at all like a cheap product. I do not think it sounds compromised at all. Check it out.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #41 of 51
Chris - is it still the best DAC under $1000?

Thank you!

May 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 51
I got my Devilsound DAC about a week ago.
I decided to go for a separate DAC when I realized that my Predator with internal DAC does sound much better with my iPhone as source than using my notebook and the internal DAC.

After some search in the forum I decided for the Devilsound because I found some quite positive reviews. Also the NOS was interesting to me as it is doing less changes to the music dates.

After I got the Devilsound I did some side by side comparisations to the internal DAC of the Predator and I can hear a big difference.
Now my Notebook using the Devilsound and the Pretator amp does sound much better than my iPhone amped with the Predator.

I really can highly recommend this tiny piece of electronics, which is also crafted very very well.

Jochen

May 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it me or when I posted this thread this DAC was 149$ now it's almost twice the price without any improvement!?!

Charles

its exactly twice the initial price-299 :/

May 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 51
I've actually had this DAC (v2) for about 2-3 months now. I needed something for audio setup for living room, which is basically my NAD C372 int amp, hooked to B&W 684's, and connected to my mac mini and 46 inch lcd. no surround sound, just needed a lsitening jukebox type system for my massive mp3 collection as my cd's have been gathering dust since mp3;s are so much more conveinent.
initially i had my mini connected simply wiht line out to stereo in on amp, and as expected sound was WEAK. volume half way would still not produce any sort of decent sound. I then got this DAC, and as can be expected that alone is a world of a difference. while i realize thats not a fair comparison and most people want to compare DAC's, i dont really have experience with any other dac's and am a casual lister. For me, this little device is perfect, didn't cost too much and produces sound worth every penny it cost. while i do realize the trade off is paying $300 for good sound plus miniaturization, or $300 for possibly better sound in a bigger box, i think in terms of sound this little bugger would be hard to beat in this price range.
I would suggest this to anyone that wants to step up from simple line out to rca plugs. But if you want to replace another dac with this one, i am not sure if you'd get anything in terms of sound quality improvement, for that id defer the issue to some other experts that have given this thing a more thoroughly extended listen than i usually have time for.

The sound ofcourse got better over time as others have commected. The base on this thing is surprisingly heavy. While i sometimes don't trust my own judgement when it comes to audio tests, i do have friends from the music business with very very highly trained ears, andi have heard shocked gasps from them at times when the bass really kicks in as to how good these speakers are. ofcourse we all know without that little dac (or any dac for that matter), these speakers would not produce this kind of punchy sound from mp3's, so this dac does do an amazing job of transporting the sound.

At some point i'd like to compare this to some other dac's in the price range to be more objective and maybe figure out my upgrade path if needed, and i'm pretty sure it will compare favourably. one review online compared this favourably even to approx $1000 dac's. For now though suffice to say as someone looking for a first dac, this one would be difficult to beat in terms of convenience or sound quality. ofcourse the downside is it only works via usb and has no optical in or line in connection which i think other dac's do. I've never really felt id need that anyway.

without comparing thi unit to others, i cant say i know of any downsides as such. while the sound is clean and crisp with good quality audio, there are times when i feel my system could be pushed further and i feel its being underpowered by the source. This could be a limitation of connecting a computer system to a stereo sound system, a limitation of dac's in general, this specific dac, or just simply maybe my amp and speakers not being the best fit together. as this is my first sound system of the non low-end variety, i dont have a cd player hooked up to it so can't compare with that sound, or the sound of other amps and speakers. all i know is that all in all it was a worthwhile investment into this dac, and since i plan to keep my speakers and most probably the amp (unless i can get a rotel) for a while to come, unless it can get substantially better sound from another unit in the same price category give or take a couple of hundred bucks, im totally happy with this unit and setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back