Devilsound DAC?
May 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has tried this one: devilsound labs - DAC - digital audio cable.

I am getting a high end PPA built soon and I am in the hunt for something to replace my dying M-Audio Audiophile USB. This one has come to my attention and I am wondering if it is worthy, I have seen a seller on eBay starting at 149$, it seems there is not much info on what's inside the box.

On another hand if you feel like suggesting a DAC with RCA outputs that would be a good transport, go for it, anything sub 500$.

Thanks,

Charles

May 1, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 51
I would go for a powered solution. It will give it better SQ overall by a fair margin.

Keces DA-151?

May 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 51
I was just looking at this, too. Very intriguing due to its size and simplicity. Only the one review, though.

What can you expect, though? It looks to be a brand new company. Not gonna be a whole lot out there until they get their name known.

May 1, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for a powered solution. It will give it better SQ overall by a fair margin.

Keces DA-151?

Yes exactly what I was thinking... another thing I noticed many praise the pico and predator but they are USB powered. Wondering how really good they are compared to something using a PS!

May 2, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a pretty good DAC that serves its purpose well. Nothing like it yet.

I am sure somebody here will try it. For $150 somebody should. It would be nice if there was more info though.
icon10.gif

May 2, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 51
The Keces-151 DAC is based on the PCM2706/7 (can't remember which) DAC chip. It is a remarkably unremarkable chip. I really don't understand why this DAC has such an impressive reputation here.

May 2, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Keces-151 DAC is based on the PCM2706/7 (can't remember which) DAC chip. It is a remarkably unremarkable chip. I really don't understand why this DAC has such an impressive reputation here.

Thank goodness for reality check posts like this. There are not enough of them on Head-Fi, IMO.

May 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M-Audio Audiophile makes a great transport, why don't you buy a real DAC instead of this Devilsound gimmetry ?

I liked the innovative look, not willing to break the bank...I won't be using the headphone amp part of the DAC if present, now I wonder if it is really worth it to invest, or I just should get another Audiophile USB. I am having channel imbalance at low volume level, the led is dead and something is wrong with the output volume pot, time for a change.

My impression is that their are very few different chipsets and not so much difference in between them? I could be totally wrong. I know for sure the M-Audio Audiophile sounds much better with the stancor PSU. So this is what made me realize the power part of the amp/DAC is really important and this DAC is USB powered, so yeah gimmicky looking and this is why I am asking around!
wink.gif

Charles

May 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression is that their are very few different chipsets and not so much difference in between them? I could be totally wrong.

Yes, you are totally wrong. Texas Instruments alone has dozens of different DAC chips, let alone Wolfson, Analog Devices, Phillips, etc - and there are huge differences between them. I've got an Alien DAC (and the Keces-151 is little more than a high performance Alien DAC) and it absolutely does not compare to either of my other two DIY DACs - one of which only cost about $200 in parts to build. I can hear differences between my two better DACs, not that I can clearly say which one sounds better to me - but just that they definitely sound different from each other.

May 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you are totally wrong. Texas Instruments alone has dozens of different DAC chips, let alone Wolfson, Analog Devices, Phillips, etc - and there are huge differences between them. I've got an Alien DAC (and the Keces-151 is little more than a high performance Alien DAC) and it absolutely does not compare to either of my other two DIY DACs - one of which only cost about $200 in parts to build. I can hear differences between my two better DACs, not that I can clearly say which one sounds better to me - but just that they definitely sound different from each other.

Excellent, thanks for the clarification, time for some reading on DAC chipsets!
wink.gif

Regarding the value of this DAC, I assumed, especially if there is are no clear specifications regarding what is inside the box!

May 2, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 51
I purchased the DevilSound DAC about a month ago and am quite pleased with it. I use it with a Mac Mini, ITunes and AudioEngine2 speakers. I think it continues to improve during the breaking-in period. Compared to the audio/headphone out of the Mini it is a big improvement. I've been ripping a lot of my jazz CD's.

I've never had an external DAC before, so I can't compare it to any other, but
I am quite happy for the price paid. However, there's always room for upgrade fever - Benchmark USB anyone?

barrydmd

May 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 51
The Zhalou DAC doesn't cost much more, and it should be a much better performing DAC. The only caveat is that you then also need a USB->SPDIF adapter, which would be another $50 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back