detroit techno
Nov 9, 2008 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

demoNMaCHiN3

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of EDM(everything from big beat to house to trance to drum and bass to ambient, and almost all the sub-genres) but I never really gave Detroit Techno a chance. Recently, I came across Ekspozicika 07: The Detroit Connection and I absolutely LOVE it. I was hoping that someone could recommend me some must-have albums by Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Jeff Mills, or anyone else. Thanks!

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 19
I really recommend Jimmy Edgar if you're looking for purist detroit sound. It's cold, mechanical, and sexy.

I believe he was on Warp records at one time or another, although I don't know if he's still on their label now for sure.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 19
He has only one in particular that I know of... it's called Color Strip.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 19
Techno, I didn't know anyone still listened to it. Here are some my faves through the years - some not native but still good old austere Detroit style.

Drexciya - Harnessed the Storm
Jeff Mills - Metropolis
James Ruskin - Into Submission
Speedy J - Loudboxer
Steve Stoll - Pacemaker

Of course anything by Hawtin or Brinkmann goes without saying.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 19
thanks for the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 19
No prob. Apparently, there are a-lot of Detroit Techno fans on head-fi!
jecklinsmile.gif
They probably slide it in between Donald Fagen and Porcupine Tree.

--

I've actually heard some killer techno albums lately (not Detroit). One of my fave's would be Motor. Anyone heard them? I would start with Unhuman, which is more melodic, then slide down to Klunk. They're the dope sh!t as far as I'm concerned.

Not to digress, but where else can you talk about techno here?

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm listening to History of Dance, Vol. 9: The Techno Edition right now. A lot of really good songs
biggrin.gif
(track list: Various - History Of Dance - 9 - The Techno Edition (5xCD) at Discogs )

I'm also really liking Jeff Mill's Purpose Maker Compilation.

Quote:

I've actually heard some killer techno albums lately (not Detroit). One of my fave's would be Motor. Anyone heard them? I would start with Unhuman, which is more melodic, then slide down to Klunk. They're the dope sh!t as far as I'm concerned.

I've never heard of them before but this is a pretty sick song: YouTube - Motor - Unhuman (Video)

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 19
Dayum, that is a nice sampling, good call, think I might have to look into it. If you like the Two Lone Swordsman track, Radioactive Man (Tennswood half of TLS) just released a fun album by the name of Growl. He does a-lot of stuff on the electro/techno side of things.

That's a great looking comp wth a-lot of paths to take.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Vince Watson - Echoes from the future
Vince Watson - Emotion sequence
Aril Brikha - Deeparture in time
Duplex - Late night driving
Carl Craig - The album formely known as

Thats my kind of detroit flavour.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Hawtin's been mentioned, but make sure to check out the Plastikman releases. All of them.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 19
Speaking of Plastikman, Gaiser released a very plastik'esque album last year by the name of Blank Fade, been listening to it a-lot over that last week. Oh and it's on Hawtin's label Minus no less. Like Pom Pom, it's definitely a techno enthusiasts' full length but darker and more extrapolated.

Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back