Detroit Meeting Was Extremely Fun / Informative! With Pictures!
Dec 3, 2001 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56
The Detroit Get-Together was a blast! I'm very sleepy though, so I won't be posting any detailed impressions of the gear until tomorrow. Long story short (details to follow tomorrow):
  1. The Sennheiser Orpheus was probably my overall favorite setup in the regardless-of-price category, easily winning my ears over the Stax Omega2.
  2. The Sony MDR-CD3000 headphones were a disappointment for me, no matter which amp I used to drive them.
  3. The AKG-K1000's sounded absolutely fantastic when driven by the EAR V-20.
  4. I'm surprised we don't read much about the Wheatfield HA-2 amplifier after hearing it powering HD-600's.
  5. The BlockHead driving the HD-600's was stunningly good, and maybe second only to the Orpheus for me.
  6. The Holmes-Powell DCT-2 drove the HD-600's nicely, but, of the non-Orpheus tube amps, I found the EAR HP-4 to be my favorite (leaving me to wonder why anyone would pay $6000 for a DCT-2).
  7. To my ears, good tube headphone amps are not as different-sounding from good solid state headphone amps as in the non-headphone audio realm (preamp/amp driving speakers). Not even close.

Again, I'll post the details of the get-together (who attended, etc.), and further explain the above statements, tomorrrow, along with some pictures from the Get-Together! Right now, I've got to get some sleep.

Thanks again to Tyll and Danny for coming all the way out to Chicago and Detroit! I still can't believe they did that.

Dec 3, 2001 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 56
The Detroit show was a lot of fun. Tyll, Danny, and Jude were great hosts. I've forwarded a few pics to Jude to post, but here's a sampling of the attendees. I'm too tired from the day's festivities and long drive home to say much else right now.

detroit4.jpg

On the left is MooGoesTheCow listening to some of the high end equipment. I'm not exactly sure what Jude and BabyKenny are doing.
smily_headphones1.gif

detroit15.jpg

Jude's lovely and charming wife classed up the joint for a few hours in the afternoon.

detroit17.jpg

detroit18.jpg

These two photos were taken during the luncheon Jude graciously sprung for. I'll let everyone identify themselves. I'm the handsome guy on the far right of the bottom pic.

Dec 3, 2001 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 56
I see that tyll has plenty of hawaiian shirts to choose from!
biggrin.gif

aweome pics guys!

Dec 3, 2001 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

mbriant said...

I'm not exactly sure what Jude and BabyKenny are doing.

eek.gif

Oh dear, this must be one of those candid camera moments!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 56
hahaahahahahhhhahaahaahaahaahaha..........

HAAAAhahahaahaahahhahaahaahha

oooohhh, mercy.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 56
You guys had a lot more space than we had.We were kinda cramped here in Chicago.We had a total turnout of 21 headphone lovers throughout the day.Some only stayed for a short time others came late,But I think we all had a great time.Thanks again Jude,you are the best, I hope to meet you one of these days.Maybe you can come to the Canadian HIFI show in may?

I would love to hear your impessions of all the equipment.In particular the Holmes Powell which has perplexed us all.

Dec 3, 2001 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 56
Man, it looks like you guys had a gas at the two meetings. I am really envious.
rolleyes.gif
I sit here and look at the rigs that HeadRoom brought and my ears start to twitch.

mbriant...thanks for the great pics and helping us attend vicariously through them.

Jude.....NEVER try to "block" out anyone again!
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 56
Ack, jude, what are you doing?!? I almost went blind from that pic that had Tyll's hawaiian shirt AND the K1000 in it at the same time! Geez, at least put a warning label on that link!
mad.gif
wink.gif

Come on, let's hear some more impressions...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Who's that guy in the purple shirt in the bottom pic? He kinda looks like Bruce Dickinson (lead singer in Iron Maiden

That's Krell1. I don't think he's in Iron Maiden but he was/is a drummer.

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 56
Having attended dozens and dozens of audio shows and product demos during the past 20 years, the Detroit "Headroom Show" has the positive distinction of being by far the quietest. It was nice being able to actually hear subtle details in the music without it being droned out by the 5,000 watt home system next door or the car audio displays down the hall.

Being faced with such a huge array of headphones and headphone amps all at once did tend to make me somewhat scattered while jumping from display to display when a particular product of interest came available to audition. That combined with intermittent chat sessions with the various attendees, limited my listening time with each component to a point where critical comparisons are impossible.

However, I did come away with some new and revised opinions on certain equipment such as the Grado RS-1's and 2's. I'd never heard the 1's before and when I briefly auditioned the 2's at a nearby audio shop, I wound up buying 325's because the 2's sounded a little "mushy" in comparison. I don't know whether my tastes have changed or whether the better listening environment in Detroit gave me a better audition, but I came away quite impressed with both the Grado "woodies".

I found myself gravitating to the AKG 1000's several times. Despite their cumbersome appearance, they were quite comfortable and surprisingly steady on my head. I could easily move around without them dislodging at all. The sound was crisp and clear with a marvelous soundstage ( or "mindspace" as Danny likes to call it ) and although some people (including Tyll) complain they are bass-shy, I found them to be extremely balanced when powered properly....like their 501 bretheren only better. Having them floating at the side of your head rather than clamped over your ears made them extremely comfortable and cool. They're definately stay at home phones, but I think there will be a pair in my not-to-distant future. Everyone who tried them on immediately broke into a huge grin...although this could be from embarrassment as much as great sound.

Like Jude, I found the Sony 3000's to be a bit of a disappointment. Granted, I do prefer open phones and didn't give the 3000's much of an audition, but after hearing so much praise about them, I was anxious to hear them and was somewhat let down. Perhaps my snap judgement is unfair and living with a pair for a while would change my opinion. I remember not being impressed when I first bought my Senn 580's, but after a couple of weeks they grew on me considerably. I imagine that if you must use closed phones, the 3000's are a very good option.

Being able to listen to AKG 501's and Senn 580/600's with several high quality amps reconfirmed my belief that both these phones are admirable performers. The AKG 401's were also quite good.

Speaking of amps, I was impressed by the entire Headroom line-up. They look much nicer in person and their build quality is excellent. I didn't have my Sugden Headmaster with me for direct comparison, but I'm certain Headroom's "Home" amp and definately the Max and Blockhead are equally as good and likely better sounding......although not as pretty.

I could also notice what a positive difference power supplies make with headphone amps. While the portable Grado, and Cosmic amps sounded quite good (as did the smaller Creeks etc. with wall warts) and offer a dramatic improvement over a portable or receiver jack, there's another dramatic improvement...particularly in bass response...when you move up to a home based amp with a proper AC power supply.

As I mentioned in the Chicago show thread, each of the displays held one source CD player which (I believe...correct me if I'm wrong) were fed into a Headroom (Home?) amp which was used to boost the signal to a splitter box which went out to all the other amps on that particular display. This amp was being used as a master volume control to all the other amps. Sometimes someone would adjust this volume control by mistake...sometimes reducing the power to the various dedicated amps resulting in loss of volume and affecting the final sound. I'm wondering if this also affected the ultimate sound of each amp...especially the tube amps. For instance, Jude noticed that the tube amps didn't sound much different than the solid state amps. Perhaps the Headroom solid state "booster amp" added some of it's own sonic qualities to each subsequent dedicated amp.

I didn't spend much time with the high end equipment because it was all so far out of my price range and I didn't want to be tempted. If someone would give me a 90% discount on the Orpheus however, I'd be eternally gratefull.

Dec 3, 2001 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 56
great pics guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll post my impressions within the next couple of days.
i'll expect everyone who attended the detroit show to post something indicating how wonderful a person i was just to be around
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back