DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2 CLASS A (16 - 600ohm) Portable IEM Headphone Amplifier
May 13, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #152 of 230
Afaik, the soldering of the opamps is so tight that switching them is a high risk operation, even for skilled people. Or maybe is the whole amp structure that makes the manipulation complicated. I might be wrong, though, but I remember having read something about that earlier in the thread
I have tried and found it quite easy to disassemble the opa
I had oder opa on taobao and waited to try swapping on Ha2

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #154 of 230
P_20200601_133016_BOK.jpg

Enjoying this combo with Blon B20, details are floating every where, suddenly I miss my STAX set up :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #155 of 230
Not a direct reply to Buonassi’s post, just a note about background noise being present on my HA-2.

*I know* if I feed power to the HA-2 while listening at my desk I can hear some background noise at about 40-percent. I only had balanced IEMs for testing.

*I presume* this is not a use case that the amp was designed for. I did not receive a reply when I wrote asking about this. I could just imagine Anson sitting at the computer thinking “well DUH.”

More to come, but I thought I'd give a quick update on the noise floor of this amplifier with a couple monitors:
  • Moondrop Starfield is pretty much silent until you turn the volume past the halfway point. Even then it's a very faint waterfall hiss and a non-issue when music is playing.
  • Custom Art Fibae 7 CIEM - there is a faint waterfall hiss even at lowest volumes, but it is completely acceptable to me (and I despise hiss). Once music starts playing it is a non-issue. Turning the volume pot doesn't seem to bring on much more noise, perhaps a tiny bit more.
This is an incredibly powerful amp - and I'm surprised there isn't more hiss. I wish it had 1/3rd the power, or that Anson Tse made a class A amp specifically for sensitive in ears. Even in low gain, I can't get much travel on the volume pot before it's too loud. So I have to lower the voltage coming from my DAP's line out.

Aside from too much power for my use case, the sonic performance excellent. Nice injection of overall class A warmth and refinement/airiness (as if someone put an indiscernible amount of 'hall reverb' on as an effect - clearly there is no additional reverb, but it just gives that 'sense' and I'm not sure how else to describe it). Compared to DX220 amp1ii 3.5mm PO, there is a richness to it that emotionally envelops the listener. The bass becomes a good bit more weighty and lingers a tad longer (just a touch, but not slow at all). Midrange instrument separation seems to go up a notch. Treble sounds more 'wet' and 'sweet', not quite as dry as a reference amp (with reverb tails being extended a touch). By no means is any detail given up. I seem to be able to listen slightly louder than I normally do because of how 'clean' the sound is. It's not 'crunchy' like ibasso amp7 is, for example.

I noticed the sound improvements with both DD and BA monitors and would argue that each of them benefitted as much as the other. I just like the sound of this amp!

I've only spent one night with it and two IEMs. I'll have more to test with it: Blon BL03 and Oriveti OH500 are on the way. I can at least test the noise levels for them and will report back soon.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #156 of 230
Today I noted the US distributer (Amazon) says the HA-2 is no longer in stock and does not know if it will return.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #157 of 230
yeah, I'm not sure why this amp hasn't gained more traction. To me, it sounds like the slight coloration/euphony "refinement" that people throw thousands of dollars at.

Perhaps it's the insane power? That's my only quibble with it. But I know that's usually a selling point, so I remain confused.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #158 of 230
One thing that jumped out at me: someone shopping for a portable HP amp (a subset of a subset) will be presented with many $25-$100 options when shopping on the HA-2 Amazon page. Class A and Dethonray mean nothing to most of those folk. What has meaning? There is only one review. As a shopper, would one think it is worth the extra 200-800%?

I was shopping specifically for the HA-2; if I wasn’t I would have likely thought it was overpriced. I think it is a delightful unit. Too bad, really.

yeah, I'm not sure why this amp hasn't gained more traction. To me, it sounds like the slight coloration/euphony "refinement" that people throw thousands of dollars at.

Perhaps it's the insane power? That's my only quibble with it. But I know that's usually a selling point, so I remain confused.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #159 of 230
One thing that jumped out at me: someone shopping for a portable HP amp (a subset of a subset) will be presented with many $25-$100 options when shopping on the HA-2 Amazon page. Class A and Dethonray mean nothing to most of those folk. What has meaning? There is only one review. As a shopper, would one think it is worth the extra 200-800%?

I was shopping specifically for the HA-2; if I wasn’t I would have likely thought it was overpriced. I think it is a delightful unit. Too bad, really.
Why not just buy it here?
https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html
Of course if you have had some portable high end amps, you know that the HA-2 is very reasonable priced for what you get. As stated a few pages back, I had the VorzAMP Duo II for about 700 Euros. And it sounded not as good as the HA-2.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #160 of 230
Easiest answer ever. From the Penon website:

- "Your local Customs may request you to pay import tax. Please make your inquiry with them for further details. We will not take responsibility for any custom fees charged. Please take this into account when placing your order."

Hong Kong is no longer a favored trade partner because "World Leaders."

[Added: My contributions were not about me finding/buying the HA-2; they were about what shoppers (in my case US shoppers) are finding when they look for HP amps]

Why not just buy it here?
https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html
Of course if you have had some portable high end amps, you know that the HA-2 is very reasonable priced for what you get. As stated a few pages back, I had the VorzAMP Duo II for about 700 Euros. And it sounded not as good as the HA-2.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #161 of 230
Messing around with HA-2 and the Phatlab Chimera since a few weeks now. The Chimera is a hybrid amp, tube or solid state at request. 4.4mm and 3.5mm output. Price is pretty high at ca. USD 800.- (4 times the HA-2).

Let's keep the comparison as short as possible:

- Chimera with both Calyx M and DTR1 has an effortless presentation, which is superior compared to the HA-2. It's, for my taste, the perfect transportable amplification, in both solid state and tube mode. Not really designed for sensitive BA IEMs, though. Music flows around you. People listening to DAPs at home should try amping via LO, it makes a difference, at least in my opinion. Everything is opening up.

- HA-2 is hard to beat with "warm" sounding sources. The Calyx M/HA-2 combo is really something. I have feared the double amplification at first. No such thing, music delight all the way. Even with BA sensitive IEMs. Amplification slighlty is on the bright side, but really just a hint. Amazing with Rock, Metal and Dark Ambient.

Pick your choice. Different flavours for different people and budget. If you can, get both. If not, get the HA-2 and be happy. You just get the best amp USD 200.- can buy.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #163 of 230
Hi hongky. If I understand your question, you are looking for a DAC with USB-C input and line out. There are a few. One I know of at the top of my head is the iBasso DC01. (Click on the link) My phone doesn’t have USB-C so I haven’t use it but iBasso does good work in their niche.

Most dongles I have used need your phone volume at 100%, if the level is not greyed out), which they equate to a line-out signal. Some back and forth about whether this is actually a line-out but, anyway, it is a good prospect.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #164 of 230
Hi hongky. If I understand your question, you are looking for a DAC with USB-C input and line out. There are a few. One I know of at the top of my head is the iBasso DC01. (Click on the link) My phone doesn’t have USB-C so I haven’t use it but iBasso does good work in their niche.

Most dongles I have used need your phone volume at 100%, if the level is not greyed out), which they equate to a line-out signal. Some back and forth about whether this is actually a line-out but, anyway, it is a good prospect.
Thanks, but DC01 only have 2.5mm balanced out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back