Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,622 of 2,313
@ngoshawk did a review of the new Questyle QPM DAP and the comparison to the DTR1 was interesting - very similar to what I read last year as I compared the DTR1 to other, much higher priced DAPS (bolding is mine)

Questyle QPM ($1995) v Dethonray DTR1 ($549):

Continuing the car analogy, the DTR1 would be the stripped SCCA Autocross Miata. Nothing extra needed nor wanted. You want purer performance? That’s it. Similar to the QPM here, but on a more “primitive” level, I included the DTR1 in this comparison because it is so darn good. Simple to use, powerful, and with a designer who is constantly trying to improve the unit by pushing software updates out, this is akin to squeezing that last 1/16oz of performance out of the Miata by changing tire pressure at quarter-psi increments. It does make a difference.

Sound-wise the DTR1 is spectacular, especially when you consider the price is roughly ¼ of the QPM. To fit this amount of performance into a compact frame, which has thankfully increased in build quality is something to behold. This is the Miata, which shows at the track, and after once look the others realize it may look janky but know that performance is first and foremost top notch. I would tame that a bit and say that the clarity is a bit behind the QPM, while bass reach is a bit better across the board. But as I stated that is so hard for me to discern. Using the same songs and same SA-6 across the sources, it is pretty much a wash. With a more compact sound a bit than the QPM, there is not the height in the DTR1, and there can be a bit of “seemed” congestion. But that is really not the case, it is only perceived, and to me is really all of that mind-numbingly good sound permeating every cranny of gray matter and our brain becomes jumbled and confused as a result.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,623 of 2,313
@ngoshawk did a review of the new Questyle QPM DAP and the comparison to the DTR1 was interesting - very similar to what I read last year as I compared the DTR1 to other, much higher priced DAPS (bolding is mine)

Continuing the car analogy, the DTR1 would be the stripped SCCA Autocross Miata. Nothing extra needed nor wanted. You want purer performance? That’s it. Similar to the QPM here, but on a more “primitive” level, I included the DTR1 in this comparison because it is so darn good. Simple to use, powerful, and with a designer who is constantly trying to improve the unit by pushing software updates out, this is akin to squeezing that last 1/16oz of performance out of the Miata by changing tire pressure at quarter-psi increments. It does make a difference.

Sound-wise the DTR1 is spectacular, especially when you consider the price is roughly ¼ of the QPM. To fit this amount of performance into a compact frame, which has thankfully increased in build quality is something to behold. This is the Miata, which shows at the track, and after once look the others realize it may look janky but know that performance is first and foremost top notch. I would tame that a bit and say that the clarity is a bit behind the QPM, while bass reach is a bit better across the board. But as I stated that is so hard for me to discern. Using the same songs and same SA-6 across the sources, it is pretty much a wash. With a more compact sound a bit than the QPM, there is not the height in the DTR1, and there can be a bit of “seemed” congestion. But that is really not the case, it is only perceived, and to me is really all of that mind-numbingly good sound permeating every cranny of gray matter and our brain becomes jumbled and confused as a result.
In your opinion aesthetics and functions apart, but ONLY as a sound there is a DAP that sounds like the Dethonray, (regardless of whether it costs more or less). And do you still think there is a DAP that plays following the Dethonray sound philosophy but taking all its parameters even higher?

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,624 of 2,313

Thanks for the mention, the QPM is quite spectacular, as is the DTR1. For my listening while I’d love to have the QPM, I am quite satisfied with the DTR1, especially since I have the QP2R as well.

In your opinion aesthetics and functions apart, but ONLY as a sound there is a DAP that sounds like the Dethonray, (regardless of whether it costs more or less). And do you still think there is a DAP that plays following the Dethonray sound philosophy but taking all its parameters even higher?

As for what might be a “level up” from the DTR1? In my limited sampling, I really love my N6ii mk2. I have the A01 and E01 motherboards and I rarely go back to the A01 now, even if it has a 2.5bal jack. The sound through Class-A is exceptional, and I really like the Class-AB as well. Class-A takes more power & drains the battery faster but provides such a clean sound. Class-AB gives better output and a warmth to it, that is hard to beat as well.

So, short of the QPM, the N6ii mk2 might be an option; but to me if you are looking for an upgrade to the DTR1, you are hard pressed until you reach the QPM price/level.

Cheers.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,625 of 2,313
Thanks for the mention, the QPM is quite spectacular, as is the DTR1. For my listening while I’d love to have the QPM, I am quite satisfied with the DTR1, especially since I have the QP2R as well.

As for what might be a “level up” from the DTR1? In my limited sampling, I really love my N6ii mk2. I have the A01 and E01 motherboards and I rarely go back to the A01 now, even if it has a 2.5bal jack. The sound through Class-A is exceptional, and I really like the Class-AB as well. Class-A takes more power & drains the battery faster but provides such a clean sound. Class-AB gives better output and a warmth to it, that is hard to beat as well.

So, short of the QPM, the N6ii mk2 might be an option; but to me if you are looking for an upgrade to the DTR1, you are hard pressed until you reach the QPM price/level.

Cheers.
Add an amp to the DTR1 and spare $$$. Its LO is fantastic. I did not listen to the QPM, but stacking a quality amp with the DTR1 will unleash its true potential. A warmish or neutral amp will balance the DTR1's clear sound signature and then let your IEM or headphone adding the final flavor into the mix.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #1,626 of 2,313
Add an amp to the DTR1 and spare $$$. Its LO is fantastic. I did not listen to the QPM, but stacking a quality amp with the DTR1 will unleash its true potential. A warmish or neutral amp will balance the DTR1's clear sound signature and then let your IEM or headphone adding the final flavor into the mix.

What would you recommend? I was going to pick up the HA-2 but those are gone and the Honey H1 doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Was looking towards the Vorzuge but the HA-2 was at a great price point.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #1,627 of 2,313

Dethonray HA-2 ...... Dethonray Honey H1 ...... or is there any other amp that pairs very well with DTR1 and takes performance to an even higher level?

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,628 of 2,313

Cheers.
However they say that the Cowon Plenue L should follow as a philosophy, the sound of the Dethonray ..... I don't know what the differences may be .....

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,629 of 2,313
Jan 28, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,630 of 2,313
Dethonray HA-2 ...... Dethonray Honey H1 ...... or is there any other amp that pairs very well with DTR1 and takes performance to an even higher level?
Romi Audio BX2+ or BX-1

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #1,632 of 2,313
However they say that the Cowon Plenue L should follow as a philosophy, the sound of the Dethonray ..... I don't know what the differences may be .....
Plenue L is a EUR 2K device. I did not test it myself, but it seems that this DAP has a similar sound signature as the DTR1.

Lotoo LPGT might be something to consider as well.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #1,633 of 2,313
If I pair Romi Audio BX-1 or BX2 with DTR-1 what changes between the two amps? And what changes between HA-2, BX1 and BX2? How does the sound of DTR1 change with these 3 amps?
BX2+ is the current totl offering from Romi. It has balanced inputs and outputs. BX1 and HA-2 are both single-ended. Soundwise, the BX2+ clearly is ahead, while BX1 and HA-2 are very good amps on their own. BX1 is a bit smoother and HA-2 has more power and clearer sound.

With the DTR1, I also recommend the Phatlab Chimera. It has enormous power and balances out the clean and clear presentation of the DTR1 with a hint of warmth and can drive almost everything you throw at it. If you want to keep the DTR1 DNA, go for the BX2+.

Finally, iFi just released iDSD Diablo and Cayin is about to launch the C9. I did not listen to any of them, though.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #1,634 of 2,313
BX2+ is the current totl offering from Romi. It has balanced inputs and outputs. BX1 and HA-2 are both single-ended. Soundwise, the BX2+ clearly is ahead, while BX1 and HA-2 are very good amps on their own. BX1 is a bit smoother and HA-2 has more power and clearer sound.

With the DTR1, I also recommend the Phatlab Chimera. It has enormous power and balances out the clean and clear presentation of the DTR1 with a hint of warmth and can drive almost everything you throw at it. If you want to keep the DTR1 DNA, go for the BX2+.

Finally, iFi just released iDSD Diablo and Cayin is about to launch the C9. I did not listen to any of them, though.
Keeping DNA dethonray would be the best choice. If I understand correctly the differences between HA2 and BX1 are minimal. Did I get it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back