Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,591 of 2,313
Sure, @F700, I'll post to update, and send you a PM if I don't hear back. Thanks for the offer.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,593 of 2,313
I sent a message through the link on the website, waiting to hear back.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,594 of 2,313
Another day, nothing yet.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,595 of 2,313
@doctorjazz Sorry to hear that your DTR1 was broken.

I also the one that facing that issue and was suggested by Anson to update the firmware even though it can't turn on normally, it might able to flash the firmware and back to normal.

By the way, I just received my DTR1 back after claimed (failed to detect SD card) with Jaben yesterday, it was sent to China to fixed. Don't know how they fixed, it have no evident of any hardware disassemble.

After my DTR1 failed 2 times in about of 5-6 months of lightly usage (included more than 1 month of claiming process). I given up for this product reliability. I already purchased Lotoo P6K to use during waiting and the experience is much better.

If someone consider to use DTR1 for their main DAP, I would suggest to looking for other product. However, if you just want to try, the SQ is worth the price.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,596 of 2,313
@doctorjazz Sorry to hear that your DTR1 was broken.

I also the one that facing that issue and was suggested by Anson to update the firmware even though it can't turn on normally, it might able to flash the firmware and back to normal.

By the way, I just received my DTR1 back after claimed (failed to detect SD card) with Jaben yesterday, it was sent to China to fixed. Don't know how they fixed, it have no evident of any hardware disassemble.

After my DTR1 failed 2 times in about of 5-6 months of lightly usage (included more than 1 month of claiming process). I given up for this product reliability. I already purchased Lotoo P6K to use during waiting and the experience is much better.

If someone consider to use DTR1 for their main DAP, I would suggest to looking for other product. However, if you just want to try, the SQ is worth the price.

That could be a resetting tool that only the main service centre have.
The DX160 is not an expensive device, sounds fantastic, too.
This experience happened to me, too on another brand. This is so frustrating that i cannot forget from November till Christmas of 2018, i received back my device almost February of the next year 2019!
I decided to go for another brand!
They don't respond to my mails, messages, etc...

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,597 of 2,313
Thanks @TnV26! I've sent a message to Anson, waiting to hear back. I still have 2 Pono's, that I'm using in the interim. Pono actually reminds me of the DTR1-great sounding, weird/suboptimal user interface. But, I've had both of them for years now, never had an issue (which is good, since they are out of production).

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,599 of 2,313
Hi, @DidouPower , I stuck pins in there multiple times, did nothing. Now I'm just sticking then in voodoo dolls (just kidding...)

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,600 of 2,313
Mine has died twice, and has been repaired twice -- It worked when I got it back, but put it off to the side for a few weeks, and went to revisit it, and it will not power on at all - no reset, no m=nothing, tried charinging it a few times. the repair ticket said something about software as the "fix". I have other players, and this is the only one other than my Calyx M that has ever stopped working.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,601 of 2,313
An update: F700 helped me make contact with Anson, who told me to send it to him in China. So, I packed it up, took it to the US Postal service, who refused to send it. I then went to UPS, who would send it, but the slowest, cheapest option would cost $227. Since I'd likely also be responsible for repair cost and return shipping, and the unit sells for $599 new, it make no sense to send it back. Any interest in a unit for parts? Anyone knowledgeable in repair who could fix it? (Likely have an expensive paperweight).
I'll avoid boutique Chinese companies in the future.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,603 of 2,313
.... I hear more than someone say that the Dethonray Prelude has problems updating with the firmware. How is it possible ?
How is it possible? That's the question. I never tried to update to fw 4.0. I did not need it. Some of the users trying to do it or who did it ended up having problems, that's right. There also are users who got issues with previous fw. Even if some users around here actually faced fatal issues with their DTR1, we don't hear much about the satisfied customers. I am one for them. Been lucky? Yes, maybe. And I own 3 devices from Dethonray, namely the DTR1 since May 2019, the HA-2 since February 2020 and the H+ since November 2020. All worth their prices and fantastic sounding, once more, in my honest opinion.

Without starting a polemic here or trying to "protect" Anson, but my personal experience with Dethonray's products and Anson have been stellar so far. I know other brands located everywhere around the globe, very well-known on HF, that also are facing these issues. Are they easier forgiven? I don't know.

At the end of the day, boutique devices are what they are and you implicitly enter a potential risk by buying one of these devices. No even mentioning the cost of the entry-ticket. A leap of faith. It can turn out well or not.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #1,604 of 2,313
I never problem with update DTR1, always successful. Like @F700 I never tried update to fw 4.0, for me 3.8 is the best and nothing more I need.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,605 of 2,313
I ordered mine in early August of 2020 and it came with Firmware 4.0 (2020050109). So I have left it alone. I never play it while plugged in and I have recharged it at least once per week (usually more because it is the only player I use). There certainly are features that are less convenient - like a proprietary charger. But the sound is so extraordinary that I can say it is my favorite audio purchase since my 23 year old Gallo Solo loudspeakers (which was also a "boutique" company back then). There certainly are risks going with a company like this one but I feel very good about this product. @doctorjazz - I thought I read here that Dethonray.nl is also able to repair these units (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back