Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,546 of 2,313
Just received the DTR1 back from Jaben. I have to give a big thumb up for Jaben that they contact me and decided to give me a new replacement unit.

I don't know the one I sent back was manage to fixed or not because on the first few weeks they said they working on it and later weeks they said it on the test run to make sure the problem not occur again. However, few days ago they contacted me that it's ready to send back and decided to replace a new one for me as the new stock just arrived at store.

The new one is on fw4.0 and working OK after some test and still make me impressed again with the SQ.

Attachments

• P_20200923_112120.jpg
    P_20200923_112120.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20200923_112130.jpg
    P_20200923_112130.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20200923_114432.jpg
    P_20200923_114432.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,548 of 2,313
Any suggestion on same price range other DAP with same or better than DTR1? cayin N3pro?
I did not listen to the Cayin N3pro myself and even if it gets lot of praise (honeymoon period?), I seriously doubt than it can match or surpass the DTR1 in pure sound quality. Even the N6ii is behind according to my memory reading impressions from different reviewers.

N3pro seems to present another sound signature from the DTR1, warmer and darker. It actually can match your preference better, if it’s what you are looking for.

In detail retrieval and dynamic, I could bet that DTR1 remains unmatched in this price segment and is one of the best at any price point. The LO also is very good on the DTR1. It sounds like a « fanboy » statement, but I have tried some DAPs in all categories and the DTR1 still impresses me today.

In a near future, I think the USD 500.- segment will see a bunch of very good sounding DAPs being released. The competition is getting tougher.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,549 of 2,313
I have both DTR1 and N3P. They are different sound signature and propose.

On of 3.5 mm my opinion are:
DTR1 - Powerful, great sound and space from low to high. Paired good with most IEM and headphones, especially dark, thick one.

N3P - Warm, thick, dark. 2 tube modes for use (relaxing and energetic). Not much power on 3.5, better use with IEM than demanding headphone. Pairing well with bright, fast headphone, especially BA driver. Easy and fast UI with many current date functionality (BT, usb DAC, etc)

For usability. N3P will be my daily driver when transport cause functionality and usb-c. DTR1 will be a home use DAP.
For SQ only I still prefer DTR1 over N3P as I mentioned on N3P thread.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #1,550 of 2,313
Never apology for answering.
This is a Terminator post my dear friend. How could I resist now? Maybe by telling you that the Calyx M/HA-2 outclasses my DTR1/Chimera combo, which will draw your attention on the Calyx, that is as cheap as it gets in Jaben SG? Anyway, I thank you a lot for your post. LX is the way to go for me, I always knew that, but you kind of confirmed it once more. Thank you and your words. I will have to spare though, the very special P-EAR-S UT-3 CIEM is coming its way.

Take care and enjoy your music

Is the Calyx M still available for sale at Jaben Singapore?

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,551 of 2,313
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,552 of 2,313
I have owned QA361 for 1 years and now have dtr1 about 1 year. DTR1 is more powerful than QA361, especially in high gain mode, I tested T1/LCD4/HD650/HD800. It is unbelievable! Such a small box can dive headphone easily.
But never try the AMP, for me, DTR1 can handle all of my earbuds and LO also great!
I'm interested how it compares to QA361 as well, not just in power but the sound characteristics. The QA361 is clear, precise and admittedly a bit dry. Do you think the DTR1 is a worthy addition?

Also, is there any information about a DTR2 coming? I would hate to pull the trigger now and in a few months all the things missing from the DTR1 are solved in a second version.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,553 of 2,313
DTR1 enjoying new company today, in the waiting of the H1...

660D0EDC-D822-4ED1-B90B-74F3A9627EA4.jpeg

Romi BX-1 annihilates noise floor. Even with my most sensitive BA-only IEMs, black background. Niete, nada, zero. Surprised, to say the least. This amp is a pure paradox. It makes my Calyx M (a renowned warm sounding dap) sounds brighter, with a wider soundstage and thus proposing another signature that I am digging, at the limit of being too much tbh.

No, the BX-1 really shines with the DTR1 in my opinion. Maybe the dedicated LO helps here, I don’t know, but this combo is massive. Noise floor reduced to zero. Fuller sound with all details preserved. The level is high.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,554 of 2,313
I'm interested how it compares to QA361 as well, not just in power but the sound characteristics. The QA361 is clear, precise and admittedly a bit dry. Do you think the DTR1 is a worthy addition?

Also, is there any information about a DTR2 coming? I would hate to pull the trigger now and in a few months all the things missing from the DTR1 are solved in a second version.
There won’t be any DTR2 anytime soon. Anson has planned to make one, but he then focused on the Honey H1. If a DTR2 is coming, then not before Q4 2021, most likely later.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,556 of 2,313
18 months of blisssssss... the DTR1 was a revelation

1E10EBA3-5A85-4070-A29D-1C0CBDEC59BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,557 of 2,313
Oct 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,558 of 2,313
Hi people,

I managed to find a file of the 4.0 firmware on this thread. However It seems that the update procedure doesn't work anymore for me which is really weird. I tried with a 32 GB FAT32 sd card both with 4.0 and 3.8 (as 4.0 update wasn't working).

Also trying the update procedure crashes the device : I need to reset it after giving the update a try.

Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,559 of 2,313
Hi people,

I managed to find a file of the 4.0 firmware on this thread. However It seems that the update procedure doesn't work anymore for me which is really weird. I tried with a 32 GB FAT32 sd card both with 4.0 and 3.8 (as 4.0 update wasn't working).

Also trying the update procedure crashes the device : I need to reset it after giving the update a try.

Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks

So, do you mean that you tried to use 3.8 and 4.0 file but only 4.0 wasn't work? if it is this case, the file might be corrupted.

I think it not necessary to upgrade to 4.0 if 3.8 is working fine.

if you want to try. I happened to have the 4.0 file that Anson sent to me when I have a problem with my unit.

However, I think it is the same file that shared in this thread cause the file size is exactly the same.

Here is the link that I uploaded to wetransfer.com: https://we.tl/t-sm3zrpxanc

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,560 of 2,313
So, do you mean that you tried to use 3.8 and 4.0 file but only 4.0 wasn't work? if it is this case, the file might be corrupted.

I think it not necessary to upgrade to 4.0 if 3.8 is working fine.

if you want to try. I happened to have the 4.0 file that Anson sent to me when I have a problem with my unit.

However, I think it is the same file that shared in this thread cause the file size is exactly the same.

Here is the link that I uploaded to wetransfer.com: https://we.tl/t-sm3zrpxanc

Thanks for the help and the file. I'll give it a try.

I have had 3.8 for a while. Today I found out that, even though the website is not up to date, firmware 4.0 was released some time ago. So I decided to install. I tried the following the procedure and here what happens :

- take a fat32 micro sd and put the update.zip in the root folder
- put the sd in the device
- turn off the device
- press down button (the one below the middle button) and power button right after. Hold for some time
- device screen remains black (sometimes it also blinked once then black again)
- after that if I release the buttons and try to power again, the device doesn't boot
- Therefore I press the reset button
- the device resets to 3.8 fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back