Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Aug 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,426 of 2,313
And a minor update-I got to 8 hours with 1 charge, and I think I could've gotten another 1-2 hours (but I charged last night because of storm warnings for the Northeast US, possible power outages, but I'll try again for next week).

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,427 of 2,313
I just got the used Chord Mojo+Poly to use instead of my dead DTR1 paired with Ananda. Honestly if I never heard the DTR1 before, it would be my end game. Strong bass, great detail, thickness. Overall it was the signature that I really like.

However, compared with DTR1 from my memory, I missing a lot of crispness in a note, instrument separation and soundstage, lighter bass but more defined.

Even though the Mojo is sound great, I feel the overwhelming bass, cramped and muddy on the busy track.

I might not explained well or using the wrong words but in summary I really miss the crisp, airy and well defined in every notes of DTR1.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,428 of 2,313
Has anyone heard from Anson lately? I tried to email hiiim several time and no reply. My unit was sitting in the drawer for a few months while i used other gear. Now it will not take a charge or turn on, even after multiple attempts to reset it. Not sure if it is the player or the charger, but it is totally dead now.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #1,429 of 2,313
Has anyone heard from Anson lately? I tried to email hiiim several time and no reply. My unit was sitting in the drawer for a few months while i used other gear. Now it will not take a charge or turn on, even after multiple attempts to reset it. Not sure if it is the player or the charger, but it is totally dead now.

I got his replied email on 30 Jun, I also asked for the help. It look like you have the same problem. He suggested to try to update the firmware again due to software might struggle on the first state and unable to boot properly.

Here the quote from his email.

"I will send the latest firmware to you, please try to upgrade the latest verison!
Maybe the software is running in the first step, you could not see anything on the screen, but you can enter upgrade mode.
Please following the document attached!"

By the latest firmware he mentioned it is the 4.0 that shared in this thread, the file size was exactly the same.

By the instruction he mentioned, it is a user manual how to update firmware normally (hold down and power button).

I tried to update the firmware but no luck for me. You can try it, I wish your problem will solve.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,430 of 2,313
It happened to me unfortunately 1,5 months ago.
I have a problem with my dtr1. DTR1 does not turn on. I have not used the player for about two weeks, battery must've discharged during this time. Strangely dtr1 continues to charge after being fully charged. I was unable to turn on dtr1. I sent it to Anson for repair. Am I the only one who has such a problem? :slight_frown:
I had to send dtr1 to China, I haven't received the dtr1 yet. Anson said it's not hardware related, but I'm not sure if it's true :thinking:. I tried to press reset button for a minute it didn't help. Charging player also didn't help. When I contacted Anson he send me instructions and firmware, but it didn't work either. When dtr1 was fixed I asked Anson what was the problem and he said it's software issue. But I don't think so. For some reason player should be charged once a week. I am still waiting for my dtr1.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,431 of 2,313
I am very sorry to read user’s issues with their DTR1. Anson is very busy with his new device coming out very soon, the H1. I hope you will have your DTR1 back and fixed very soon.

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,432 of 2,313
I believe mine is arriving today. I think I will heed the advice of charging it only when not in use, not letting it go unused for more than a week (it's going to be my main DAP so that shouldn't be hard), and not leaving it connected to the charger too long. I did grab the 4.0 Firmware from this thread in case I need it (the download on the web site is still 3.8). I don't trade out devices very often so I do hope this will be my player for a very long time.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,433 of 2,313
So - first impressions . . . wow - amazing detail, attack, transients ; listening to recordings I've heard literally hundreds of times and they just "open up" with this as a source. It came with Firmware 4.0 and it came with a case too (I ordered one separately so now I have a spare). I've had ER-4S for almost 20 years (repaired once by Etymotic) and this is the first time I've been able to just plug them into a player - amazing (using High Gain). At the moment I'm using LO (with highest setting - lower settings required quite a bit of gain from the amp) into my Virtue Audio amp and Gallo speakers. I think this is the biggest improvement I've heard since getting those speakers back in 1997.

The only slightly odd thing is that my interconnect cable won't quite fit in the LO with the case on - very minor issue. Like everyone said - this thing is blazingly fast when it scans the card. I was just playing a Carl Orff album called "Musica Poetica". It's nothing like "Carmina Burana" - just a series of "teaching pieces". It's very simple stuff with mostly percussion and I know it very well but I just couldn't believe how even this very simple recording sounded so different.

I listen to a very wide range of music so I've always loved the ER-4S because I just want the most accurate reproduction. I realize that there are probably LOTS more choices these days but I think my budget is now pretty close to zero. It was interesting to read about what a great match the Etymotic ER2XR is with this DTR1 ; those are only 100 USD on Amazon right now. Might be worth a try.

Anyway - thanks to everyone who took the time to write about this product and review it (especially F700). I was looking for something that was all about sound quality with no fancy features and I think I definitely found it. This is a very impressive device.

dethonray_LO.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,434 of 2,313
So - first impressions . . . wow - amazing detail, attack, transients ; listening to recordings I've heard literally hundreds of times and they just "open up" with this as a source. It came with Firmware 4.0 and it came with a case too (I ordered one separately so now I have a spare). I've had ER-4S for almost 20 years (repaired once by Etymotic) and this is the first time I've been able to just plug them into a player - amazing (using High Gain). At the moment I'm using LO (with highest setting - lower settings required quite a bit of gain from the amp) into my Virtue Audio amp and Gallo speakers. I think this is the biggest improvement I've heard since getting those speakers back in 1997.

The only slightly odd thing is that my interconnect cable won't quite fit in the LO with the case on - very minor issue. Like everyone said - this thing is blazingly fast when it scans the card. I was just playing a Carl Orff album called "Musica Poetica". It's nothing like "Carmina Burana" - just a series of "teaching pieces". It's very simple stuff with mostly percussion and I know it very well but I just couldn't believe how even this very simple recording sounded so different.

I listen to a very wide range of music so I've always loved the ER-4S because I just want the most accurate reproduction. I realize that there are probably LOTS more choices these days but I think my budget is now pretty close to zero. It was interesting to read about what a great match the Etymotic ER2XR is with this DTR1 ; those are only 100 USD on Amazon right now. Might be worth a try.

Anyway - thanks to everyone who took the time to write about this product and review it (especially F700). I was looking for something that was all about sound quality with no fancy features and I think I definitely found it. This is a very impressive device.
Thanks for your impressions! Enjoy it :wink:

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,435 of 2,313
When I had the DTR1 a few months ago, I came to hear a very strange thing on this DAP: When playing a 24/88.2 recording (the most famous is probably the studio master of Daft Punk - random access memory), the DTR1 played the recording exteeeeemly slow, which was very crazy to hear. Since I only have a few albums with that resolution, I didn’t care, but now, listening to Daft Punk‘s album again, I remembered that strange feeling from back then and wanted to ask you guys if you also can hear this? My firmware was on 3.4 if I remember correctly.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,436 of 2,313
When I had the DTR1 a few months ago, I came to hear a very strange thing on this DAP: When playing a 24/88.2 recording (the most famous is probably the studio master of Daft Punk - random access memory), the DTR1 played the recording exteeeeemly slow, which was very crazy to hear. Since I only have a few albums with that resolution, I didn’t care, but now, listening to Daft Punk‘s album again, I remembered that strange feeling from back then and wanted to ask you guys if you also can hear this? My firmware was on 3.4 if I remember correctly.
Interesting. Nothing of note on my side... I have a very little amount of tracks in 24/88, but I don’t remember such odd playback.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,437 of 2,313
Strange, when I played 24/88 everything is normal, not slowly.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,439 of 2,313
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,440 of 2,313
It happened to me unfortunately 1,5 months ago.

I had to send dtr1 to China, I haven't received the dtr1 yet. Anson said it's not hardware related, but I'm not sure if it's true :thinking:. I tried to press reset button for a minute it didn't help. Charging player also didn't help. When I contacted Anson he send me instructions and firmware, but it didn't work either. When dtr1 was fixed I asked Anson what was the problem and he said it's software issue. But I don't think so. For some reason player should be charged once a week. I am still waiting for my dtr1.

I'm on this boat, again. I've asked my local reseller to send it back and claim warranty. However, COVID is sucking us really hard here in the PH, so shipping it out at this time is not an option.

Here are some more observations. When the player boots, it will play fine. Turn it off, screen goes off but the DAP is still on. What gave that away is the player is warm and will stay warm until it is fully discharged. So put the charger on until it becomes full. It will boot and turn on but is touch and go after the first boot after full charge.

Such a great sounding player, dammit. But this firmware issue is blowing fun out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back