Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
May 20, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,307 of 2,313
Thank you! That's great to know about gapless being possible. Also do you know if there's a function to shuffle from one whole album to another?
What do you mean exactly here ? Standard shuffle modus (yes, also in settings) or shuffling from one album only?

May 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,308 of 2,313
Thank you! That's great to know about gapless being possible. Also do you know if there's a function to shuffle from one whole album to another?

Hello and welcome

As F700 has already stated, gapless playback does work very well and is simply an on/off decision.

Shuffle can be set to work completely within 1-album and then stop, or shuffle completely within 1-album and then completely within another and so on, without stopping. Or, it can be set to randomly 'shuffle' from your entire music collection, therefore selecting from a different album each time (this is what I currently use).

There is probably a way of 'shuffling' through any saved 'favourites' folders too, but I don't use favourites.

Hope you enjoy :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,309 of 2,313
Bumping the thread by really encouraging people giving the DTR1/ER2XR combo a try.

I spent dozen of hours with this setup over the last 2 months, mainly during the day while doing home-office (at night, I prefer the warmer and more relaxed signature of the Calyx M).

Let me say that I am blown away by the synergy resulting from the DTR1 and the Etymotic ER2XR. It's a perfect allrounder combo. I am listening to a large variety of genres and I did not find anything negative to say in the way the sound is presented so far. The single DD for the Ety is pounding hard and clean, the mids are crystal clear, full of details and information, and finally the treble never gets sibilant, if sibilance is not in the recording, while showing great extension. Imaging is very good as well and soundstage is realistic, not extra large, but natural. Zero background noise. Last but least, fit is perfect as well as isolation.

On high gain, I am at 20 out of 60, so no problem regarding power.

I am raving about this combo, because it does everything right and is really portable. At approx. USD 750.- for both components, you get a totl sound reproduction. The DTR1 clean, powerful and neutral signature balances the slight warmer tone of the ER2XR.

The only thing to get used to is the fit of the IEM. You might get surprised how intrusive it is at first. It also might hurt the inner ear during 2 or 3 days. After getting used to it, it's almost like a CIEM, they disappear and stay in place. In any case, absolutely worth a try.

Check my review for additional infos if you want https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-research-er2xr.23811/reviews#item-review-23622

Very impressive setup, nothing more to say :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,310 of 2,313
Bumping the thread by really encouraging people giving the DTR1/ER2XR combo a try.

I spent dozen of hours with this setup over the last 2 months, mainly during the day while doing home-office (at night, I prefer the warmer and more relaxed signature of the Calyx M).

Let me say that I am blown away by the synergy resulting from the DTR1 and the Etymotic ER2XR. It's a perfect allrounder combo. I am listening to a large variety of genres and I did not find anything negative to say in the way the sound is presented so far. The single DD for the Ety is pounding hard and clean, the mids are crystal clear, full of details and information, and finally the treble never gets sibilant, if sibilance is not in the recording, while showing great extension. Imaging is very good as well and soundstage is realistic, not extra large, but natural. Zero background noise. Last but least, fit is perfect as well as isolation.

On high gain, I am at 20 out of 60, so no problem regarding power.

I am raving about this combo, because it does everything right and is really portable. At approx. USD 750.- for both components, you get a totl sound reproduction. The DTR1 clean, powerful and neutral signature balances the slight warmer tone of the ER2XR.

The only thing to get used to is the fit of the IEM. You might get surprised how intrusive it is at first. It also might hurt the inner ear during 2 or 3 days. After getting used to it, it's almost like a CIEM, they disappear and stay in place. In any case, absolutely worth a try.

Check my review for additional infos if you want https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-research-er2xr.23811/reviews#item-review-23622

Very impressive setup, nothing more to say :)

I have the ER4PT and the ER4XR and I would agree that there is a great synergy between the Etymotic products and the Dethonray DTR1. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the slight bass bump of the ER4XR but I have come to really enjoy the extended range version lately. I was really blown away, however, with how much more these sing with the DTR1 than with the A&K SR15 and the Hiby R6Pro. Great combination for me. The only thing I would like to see with the DTR1 is a stereo balance control as my right ear isn't quite as sensitive as my left (its very slight but enough to push vocals to the left a little in the stereo image).

I am glad you are enjoying the ER2XR with DTR1. I haven't experienced that combo myself but I am hearing a lot of high praise for the ER2XR and it doesn't surprise me that it excels with this DAP.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,311 of 2,313
I have the ER4PT and the ER4XR and I would agree that there is a great synergy between the Etymotic products and the Dethonray DTR1. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the slight bass bump of the ER4XR but I have come to really enjoy the extended range version lately. I was really blown away, however, with how much more these sing with the DTR1 than with the A&K SR15 and the Hiby R6Pro. Great combination for me. The only thing I would like to see with the DTR1 is a stereo balance control as my right ear isn't quite as sensitive as my left (its very slight but enough to push vocals to the left a little in the stereo image).

I am glad you are enjoying the ER2XR with DTR1. I haven't experienced that combo myself but I am hearing a lot of high praise for the ER2XR and it doesn't surprise me that it excels with this DAP.
Sorry to hear about the slight inbalance in your hearing, it's not that bad hopefully and cross fingers that it won't get worse over time.

I compared DTR1 and SR15 last autumn. I was shocked by the massive difference soundwise. I find the new SR25 more appealing in term of design (a tad bigger than the SR15) and will give it a try within the next few months. I hope that AK improved their game regarding the sound signature (seems to be the case).

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,312 of 2,313
Sorry to hear about the slight inbalance in your hearing, it's not that bad hopefully and cross fingers that it won't get worse over time.

I compared DTR1 and SR15 last autumn. I was shocked by the massive difference soundwise. I find the new SR25 more appealing in term of design (a tad bigger than the SR15) and will give it a try within the next few months. I hope that AK improved their game regarding the sound signature (seems to be the case).

Thanks, the imbalance isn't drastic and hasn't gotten worse over time which is good.

As for the SR25 vs SR15, I keep seeing conflicting reports. One review claimed there was no way he could tell the difference between the two in a blind test. Either way, I'm pretty sure the DTR1 will still be superior from a strictly audio aspect. There are facets of the SR15 I really like though and I almost pulled the trigger on the SR25 yesterday. The build quality is amazing, the UI is great and it is nice to be able to stream with it. Although, it would be nice if they had added dual-band to the wifi as my work only has 5G and no 2.4G. The improved CPU and battery life are good reasons to consider it though.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #1,313 of 2,313
I almost pulled the trigger on the SR25 yesterday. The build quality is amazing, the UI is great + Battery life
Exactly my "problem"... I almost pulled the trigger because of these characteristics as well 2 weeks ago. I can live with a warmer and less "accurate" sound sig, but hey, this is the 1st AK device I am really considering buying. What you are giving up in pure SQ you get it back with looking/holding a premium device everyday, not charging it every evening and having a snappy UI at hand (+ album cover in HD). Mr. Vain, get out of me :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #1,314 of 2,313
Well, Mr Vain decided to stay and so is the AK SR25 on its way. Get it on Monday. Be sure to get a DTR1 vs SR25 match coming soon in this thread.

...and the comparison will not end with a draw, let's get a TKO winner coming ahahah

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,316 of 2,313
Looking forward to read your thoughts.
Sound will be my priority as always, but the extended playing time and UI cannot be ignored. The LO also will be tested with my 2 amps. Single DD, hybrid and BA-only IEMs will enter the arena as well.

Think Tony Jaa vs. Jason Statham head-to-head!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,317 of 2,313
Sound will be my priority as always, but the extended playing time and UI cannot be ignored. The LO also will be tested with my 2 amps. Single DD, hybrid and BA only IEMs will enter the arena as well.

Think Tony Jaa vs. Jason Statham head-to-head!

I find DTR1 hard to beat but we will see.
I had SR15 and regarding SQ, IMO DTR1 is by far better DAP.
SR25 is appealing because battery life and Tidal.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,318 of 2,313
I find DTR1 hard to beat but we will see.
I had SR15 and regarding SQ, IMO DTR1 is by far better DAP.
SR25 is appealing because battery life and Tidal.
I also have my (strooooong) doubt about the SR25 beating the DTR1 soundwise. Let's see. Battery life is more and more important to me, streaming not at all, but I have a Tidal account, so it will be tested. UI and navigation confort will have their role to play... And finally the price/performance ratio. DTR1 now is USD 100 cheaper than the SR25, but both follow different purposes. It will be very interesting to compare them side by side.

Mmmmhh, cannot wait!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,319 of 2,313
I also have my (strooooong) doubt about the SR25 beating the DTR1 soundwise. Let's see. Battery life is more and more important to me, streaming not at all, but I have a Tidal account, so it will be tested. UI and navigation confort will have their role to play... And finally the price/performance ratio. DTR1 now is USD 100 cheaper than the SR25, but both follow different purposes. It will be very interesting to compare them side by side.

Mmmmhh, cannot wait!

I had my DTR1 for sale only because Tidal.
SR25 is/was the strongest candidate to replace DTR1.
Now I will wait for your impressions.
The DTR1 sale is "on hold" until then.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,320 of 2,313
I had my DTR1 for sale only because Tidal.
SR25 is/was the strongest candidate to replace DTR1.
Now I will wait for your impressions.
The DTR1 sale is "on hold" until then.
If you want a rapid and no-blablabla return via pm, let's say end of next week, please tell me about your drivers (DD, BA, hybrid, etc...), so I can prepare a kind of tailormade answer for you. The people who "know" me on this forum know that I am always ready to help :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back