Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,096 of 2,313
Right. DTR1 + HA-2 is it. Bye bye xCan.

Now... HA-2's low gain is quite high for easy to drive IEMs (think Acoustune 1551cu). And DTR1 can't read ReplayGain. My solution to this challenge is to apply ReplayGain while re-encoding my FLAC files. In Foobar, I've set the Preamp to -8dB.

Anyone else doing this?

PS: Where's the search in thread feature? Can't find it after the upgrade. [EDIT: found it!]

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,097 of 2,313
Hey, my dtr1 is not starting up. Have charged it to full. But it does not start. Also when I tried charging it again, the adapter turns red. Any clue? Need help please. Thanks

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,098 of 2,313
Hey, my dtr1 is not starting up. Have charged it to full. But it does not start. Also when I tried charging it again, the adapter turns red. Any clue? Need help please. Thanks
Mmmhhh... Never happened to me... Did you turn the device off before charging it?

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,099 of 2,313
Mmmhhh... Never happened to me... Did you turn the device off before charging it?

Hey, it just came back to life. Such a relief. I am not sure what happened there. I had to put it on charge for nearly 5 minutes, then switched it on. 100% battery. Looks good. But not sure what happened to it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,100 of 2,313
There is also a reset button (hole) next to the headphone jack - I'd give that a shot as well.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,103 of 2,313
would like to hear more about DTR1 + HA-2 + Amiron setup :)

I mostly listen to the DTR1 + Amiron. Syrupy mids, tamed treble and I like how the bass is textured. DTR1 + HA-2 + Amiron sounds a lot lot lot more vivid, detailed and nuanced. On some tracks, the Beyer treble (upper mids actually) rears its ugly head when listening at relatively high volumes.

I'm a low volume listener (ReplayGain, -8dB preamp; DTR1 high gain, volume = 20) and I can't listen very long using analytical chains so I prefer the DTR1 + Amiron. When I'm in the mood for some analytical listening, I add the HA-2 and blast my ears out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,105 of 2,313
I mostly listen to the DTR1 + Amiron. Syrupy mids, tamed treble and I like how the bass is textured. DTR1 + HA-2 + Amiron sounds a lot lot lot more vivid, detailed and nuanced. On some tracks, the Beyer treble (upper mids actually) rears its ugly head when listening at relatively high volumes.

I'm a low volume listener (ReplayGain, -8dB preamp; DTR1 high gain, volume = 20) and I can't listen very long using analytical chains so I prefer the DTR1 + Amiron. When I'm in the mood for some analytical listening, I add the HA-2 and blast my ears out.

Hope this helps.
When having the HA-2 in the chain, does more mids/treble also mean less bass?

@F700 When listening with the Calyx M and the HA-2 you also had more mids/treble, right? What about the bass?

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #1,107 of 2,313
I wouldn't call it less. Controlled bass; not as loose as with DTR1 alone.
I wouldn't call the bass of the standalone DTR1 "loose" by any means, even though the HA-2 tightens it, that's true. DTR1 bass is excellent in any regard, imo.

Having owned some Beyers in the past, I really can imagine that the HA-2 might bring too much clarity or brightness into the game with the german drivers. With your setup, I most likely also would prefer the DTR1 without the amp for fatigue-free listening sessions.

-OT-
@noplsestar: I gave the Calyx M and the HA-2 a second shoot this morning. Oh boy, I start to like this combo more and more. Me and my bias about double-amping, we have a pretty hard time now... I have learned something in the process...

The bass tightens here also. It becomes slightly quicker and less dense, but remains powerful and deep. You lose a bit of the analog feeling coming from the standalone Calyx M. I actually think that Calyx M/HA-2 could be better for Electronic and bass-oriented styles, but standalone Calyx M remains the best option for vocals and someone like me craving for a warmish, darkish sound signature. As already stated, there is no upgrade/downgrade, just a slight different sound signature. I remember that you like details, airy presentation and a neutral signature. For the asking price of USD 199.-, I almost encourage you to get your hands on the HA-2 and to test it by yourself. The financial risk is pretty low, as you would be able to resell it quickly if you don't like it, I think. And most important, you could put the HA-2 against your Vorzüge and report to us :)

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,108 of 2,313
I wouldn't call the bass of the standalone DTR1 "loose" by any means, even though the HA-2 tightens it, that's true. DTR1 bass is excellent in any regard, imo.

Having owned some Beyers in the past, I really can imagine that the HA-2 might bring too much clarity or brightness into the game with the german drivers. With your setup, I most likely also would prefer the DTR1 without the amp for fatigue-free listening sessions.

-OT-
@noplsestar: I gave the Calyx M and the HA-2 a second shoot this morning. Oh boy, I start to like this combo more and more. Me and my bias about double-amping, we have a pretty hard time now... I have learned something in the process...

The bass tightens here also. It becomes slightly quicker and less dense, but remains powerful and deep. You lose a bit of the analog feeling coming from the standalone Calyx M. I actually think that Calyx M/HA-2 could be better for Electronic and bass-oriented styles, but standalone Calyx M remains the best option for vocals and someone like me craving for a warmish, darkish sound signature. As already stated, there is no upgrade/downgrade, just a slight different sound signature. I remember that you like details, airy presentation and a neutral signature. For the asking price of USD 199.-, I almost encourage you to get your hands on the HA-2 and to test it by yourself. The financial risk is pretty low, as you would be able to resell it quickly if you don't like it, I think. And most important, you could put the HA-2 against your Vorzüge and report to us :)
Thanks again ... hmm, I might want to take a look into my bank account at the end of the month :wink:

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,109 of 2,313
Thanks again ... hmm, I might want to take a look into my bank account at the end of the month :wink:
Before an eventual head-to-head, how would you describe your Vorzüge Duo (which version do you have?)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back