Detailed IEM under $80
Jan 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't we just called them the Apple IEMs or Apple in-ears lol. It's not like they have a single driver model that we ever talk about, just the crappy $40 ones and the stock iBuds.

I like saying ADDIEM because it makes me imagine every Apple fanboy hopped up on Ritalin.

Don't take that away from me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 34
I got the NE-8 a couple of weeks ago. After break in (and boy do they need it) I've come to really like them. They compare favorably to the Ety 4s at a fraction of the price. As you can read elsewhere, they are not bass heavy by any means, which is fine by me. I'm using them with the Fuze and Icon Mobile.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I should've qualified that by saying the quantity + quality is greater than the ADDIEM on the Nuforce Ne-7M, and the same for ZAGG Z.Buds above the NE-7M. It's all a compromise with bass.

May be our reference for good quality bass differs. I find he NE-7m to be boomy. From what you say I won't like the Z.Buds.

I think you will also find the SCL4 won't have the type of bass the NE-7M reproduce.

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe I can't wait to read your comparison
biggrin.gif
. I returned the ADDIEM to try out the SCL4 thinking I could rebuy the ADDIEM anytime I want. But then I could afford a little bit more, I canceled the SCL4 and went with the Custom 3 for $160. Hopefully I've made the right decision. Otherwise I'm gonna have hang myself up side down
frown.gif

You made the right decision. I have both. If you get the right fit with the Custom 3, they are in a class above the Shures. However, you may find the microphonics of the Custom 3 annoying if you move alot during listening. In other words; they're better for sitting down/relaxing/critical listening as opposed to on the go/mobile/active lifestyle (sports) use. You could crank up the volume to overcome this, but I value my ears as I hope you do yours.
L3000.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

You made the right decision. I have both. If you get the right fit with the Custom 3, they are in a class above the Shures. However, you may find the microphonics of the Custom 3 annoying if you move alot during listening. In other words; they're better for sitting down/relaxing/critical listening as opposed to on the go/mobile/active lifestyle (sports) use. You could crank up the volume to overcome this, but I value my ears as I hope you do yours.

This sounds like a relief to me. I've used crappy IEM all my life. I didn't know what I was missing until I heard the new Dual Drive Apple in ears. I rediscovered my whole music library and appreciated it so much. I decided to go with the Custom 3 as I thought they'd be a good beginning pair for a music lover. Now I can be confident about my purchase.

I am just wondering why there isn't much hype about the Custom 3 anymore. It seems to me that a lot of people had a hard time trying to get a good seal. The majority went with the Image X10 for their superb comfort and slightly inferior SQ.

BTW, what do you find to be the best tips for the Custom 3?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

I am just wondering why there isn't much hype about the Custom 3 anymore. It seems to me that a lot of people had a hard time trying to get a good seal. The majority went with the Image X10 for their superb comfort and slightly inferior SQ.

BTW, what do you find to be the best tips for the Custom 3?

I think you'll enjoy the Custom 3. I've had mine about 6 weeks now and they certainly grow on you the longer you listen to them.

IMHO they are not an IEM you put on and think OMG this is awesome. But if you spend some time with them and adjust to their very warm detailed presentation they are really nice.

Plus's
  1. Comfort - These are by far the most comfortable IEM's I own.
  2. No listening fatigue - The warm sound allows for hours of listening without feeling like your ears need a break.
  3. Bass - Very Deep and detailed on the low end. But not bloated.
  4. HeadStage - I'll just say it is very large out of the head for an IEM. Much different than my iM716 and ER6.
  5. Positioning - excellent

Minus's
  1. Cables - I do not like the cable. It is cloth covered and kind of stiff. It is very easy to tangle and feels like like you could put a bad kink in it if you’re not careful
  2. Fit - While the comfort is great, trying to get a good fit and seal can be VERY challenging. I have tried all of the silicone earpieces provided by Klipsch but have ended up with the Shure Large Foam ones. They seem to work the best for me. YMMV
  3. Case is to Big - I use these for portable situations and the case is not good to pack in a pocket.
  4. High end - The High's are clean and fast but seem to be slightly soft and less Shimmery than the Ety sound I am use to. Some people might take this as less detailed but I don't think that is the case. I think it has more to do with a slight rolloff in the upper registers and decay of the Highs being very quick.

So I am very pleased with my Custom 3's. They require some time to adjust to and a little work to get the correct fit. But once you do they have a really large deep Soundstage and provide Hour's of non-fatiguing listening.

Good Luck with your purchase!

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #26 of 34
Yet another positive excellent review about the Custom 3's - another assurance. If I can't get a good seal with the provided tips, I'll try the Shure Large Foams. Thank you DobsOnly.

As for the the getting used to period you mentioned, I think I know what you're talking about. I switched from a dynamic driver to the Apple dual drivers, and it took me several to actually appreciate the sound. The more I listen to them the more I love them. I sure hope the Custom 3 will do even better than that.

I'm not too worried about the fit though because my ear canal's shape is very normal. Have you watched the video that Klipsch has on Amazon about how to properly insert the Custom 3? It was painless and the 'phones sit so nicely in the ear.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ne-7m have lots of bass but doesn't have low end clarity. My D-jays blow away the NE-7M in clarity from top to bottom. You can hear a lot more notes in the low end from the D-Jays, the Ne-7m sounds more muddy on the low end but with more quantity.

The ADDIEMs had a similar bass to the D-Jays. Of course, this is from memory when I compared the D-Jays to them so it might not be accurate. I returned the ADDIEM because I got the SCL4. The Ne-7Ms are going back too.

So the D-jays are better than the NuForce Ne-7s??
I am planning to buy a new IEM at the $100 range, and i am choosing between the d-jays, Er-6is, Westone Um1s, Nuforces and the UE Superfi 5s. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 34
I owned the Custom 3s and sold them, but only because I got the Westone 3s for Xmas from my wife. I really started to enjoy the Custom 3 sound sig, and my advice is to try the larger b-flanges if you haven't already. I use them with the Klipsch X10s too (which I also bought during the half-prioce sale), and they work very well. I would hate to see you spend more money on foamies, when the Klipsch gels are a fantastic (and in the long run, cheaper) sleeve. Of course, if none work, then try foamies. Comply P series sleeves should also work well, if the Shure olives don't.

Anyway, the Custom 3s, while some Head-Fi'ers didn't like them, are a very good deal at $160, no doubt. Worth $300? Hmmm. Doubtful. But that no longer matters, since their price has effectively dropped.

Quote:

Yet another positive excellent review about the Custom 3's - another assurance. If I can't get a good seal with the provided tips, I'll try the Shure Large Foams. Thank you DobsOnly.

As for the the getting used to period you mentioned, I think I know what you're talking about. I switched from a dynamic driver to the Apple dual drivers, and it took me several to actually appreciate the sound. The more I listen to them the more I love them. I sure hope the Custom 3 will do even better than that.

I'm not too worried about the fit though because my ear canal's shape is very normal. Have you watched the video that Klipsch has on Amazon about how to properly insert the Custom 3? It was painless and the 'phones sit so nicely in the ear.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by QC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the D-jays are better than the NuForce Ne-7s??
I am planning to buy a new IEM at the $100 range, and i am choosing between the d-jays, Er-6is, Westone Um1s, Nuforces and the UE Superfi 5s. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

I like the D-Jays better than the NE-7m. I like my Shure SCL4s even more. But others have given the NE-7m higher evaluations close to the Q-Jays. I have never heard the Q-Jays but my D-Jays sound better to me than the NE-7m.

All the IEMs on you list have very good reviews here on Head-Fi. So it ends up being a personal preference thing.

That said the best deal on the market is the white $80 SCL4s from guitar center. They are excellent. Search for Taikero's reviews on them. They usually retail for $249. You might find the black ones for around $180 on amazon. For $80 they are far superior to anything that you can find from $50- $150.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also seriously wondering why the SCL4s are getting a bad rep now. Is the bass seriously lacking?

Honestly, i own them and the se310 and se530, the bass is not lacking at all. It's very refined and clean, may not be the most "powerful", but you can definitely feel it. I would say it's Slightly above average, lots of people say that it lacks bass either because they are bass-heads, or they own for example a Se530 or Westone um2, and they've gotten used to the sound and then feel that the SCl4/E4c is lacking. For $80, it's definitely one of the best IEM's out there, not just for the $80 price, but in general. One of the best Single Drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back