Desktop ultra dac rates
May 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by guguplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well guys, I´ve got the 24bits -88.2 files. Using the optical output of my external Creative XFi sound card I sent the digital signal to the UltraDac input and .... voila! ..... not only the Ultra Dac decoded the signal.... but what a terrific sound my god!! After listening to this sound quality I think that the CD has now its days counted
atsmile.gif

The question is why do they increase the price so much for the increased resolution? At HDtracks high resolution audiophile music downloads, the price is $15.98 but if you go with the new HRx format which has yet an even higher resolution, the price increases to $45. Welcome to Chesky Records: The Premiere Audiophile Record Label I am not sure I can justify that level of expenditure.

May 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is why do they increase the price so much for the increased resolution?

The ultra high-rez are sold on physical media, which always ups the cost over online content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure I can justify that level of expenditure.

Yes, well [arguably
smily_headphones1.gif
], using 24/96 or higher doesn't make much sense at all since the analog components in our systems (and ears) can't make any use of the increased dynamic range or frequencies. That's especially true looking at the monstrous HF roll-off off many good headphones. I've downloaded a few albums from HD tracks, and while they do sound fantastic, I re-sampled them down to 16/44 and they sound the same on a Benchmark DAC1.

Question for HR - does the Desktop Ultra DAC handle 24/96 over USB? I noticed the existing HR DACs do not.

May 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for HR - does the Desktop Ultra DAC handle 24/96 over USB? I noticed the existing HR DACs do not.

Nope. That's why you have to use the Transit or some other like device.

May 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Transit can truly support 24/96 or it upsamples it?

No, it properly supports 24/96. The only glitchy thing is you have to open it's little control panel and switch it's rate everytime you play a song with a different bitrate. Does the same thing with the Bel Canto device says John Atkinson in the last Stereophile article.

May 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it properly supports 24/96. The only glitchy thing is you have to open it's little control panel and switch it's rate everytime you play a song with a different bitrate. Does the same thing with the Bel Canto device says John Atkinson in the last Stereophile article.

Right, that's what I heard - You don't want to mix bit rates in your playlist when listening to 24/96. But, I can never seem to find out if that includes when used with the Macintosh?

My understanding is that if you set the Audio Midi Setup app to 24/96 on the proper port on the Mac, that either iTunes or Core Audio will re-sample the music if the bit rate changes so that it always comes out of the port at 24/96. True, or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back