Desktop Speakers ~150 USD
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sowexly

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new desktop speakers coming from the Logitech S220 they were speakers to say the least but I want something with more kick and warmer sound.
I plan to run it with my Xonar STX so I can use RCA or Stereo and hopefully the sound card will help liven up the sound.

Currently running some HD 650s but miss my Pro 900s I know I can't get speakers like them for this price but what would you guys suggest for this price range?

EDIT: I'm looking at the Z623 ATM but I'm still not decided

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 11
How large can you go?

Swan D1080MkII 08
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486743/so-i-finally-received-my-hivi-swan-d1080mkii-08-actives
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631165/swans-d1080mkii-08-quick-review

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Ouch avoid Logitechs unless you love cheap, muddy sound
deadhorse.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 11
I think they sent all the older series here to the Philippines; I almost imported from the US, then suddenly we had them here, but none are current. The D1080MkII-08 seems to be selling like hotcakes - I missed out on the dealer's first sets, then when they got more, I almost missed one if I didn't reserve it that same day. And the one set left in the store was also reserved by phone. Even I didn't see that coming; what's surprising though is no matter how much of Swan's reputation was due to the internet, the ones I'm a member in seem to have me as the only one who bought it. Wonder what forum the other buyers are in.

In any case, maybe you can juts wait and stretch your budget a bit more to get the latest version. From the MkII-08 onwards they have the terminated, locking cable for the slave speaker so even if you find the older versions online I suggest you get the later versions. Sure it might not be easy getting a replacement cable, but you'd have to knock a speaker off your desk to break it, and with the locking mechanism you might actually save the speaker (or lose both, depends on how hard you hit it).

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Yeah I'm looking at the Swans but I can't find a place to buy them D:

The Audio Insider sells many HiVi Swan products. If it is in your budget, I'd recommend the D1080 IV from Swan. These are excellent active speakers and I personally enjoyed them more than the Swan M10.

Another option to consider is a passive setup featuring a pair of loudspeakers along with an amplifier. The Dayton Audio B652 loudspeakers partnered with the Dayton Audio DTA-1 T-Amplifier would be a great combo to begin with. You can add a sub woofer later when the budget allows, if you so desire.

Destroysall.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Well,
I´m looking for nearfield speakers, in this same range price (US$150)  to replace my Edifier M3400 (2.1),  and I´m very impressed with the reviews of Swan products I´ve read, although in this one  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882619003&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo, someone complained about "a faint but noticeable hiss present all the time. I found this very annoying at low volume levels".  So,  as, unfortunately,  I can´t test them  where I live, I would like your advice in order to make my choice: best fidelity (in low volume, if it matters), and, of course,  no hiss. 
My knowledge of pc speakers is limited to my Edifier´s,  so,  any help will be wellcome !

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 11
These can be acquired new in the US in your price range.

Swan d1010
Swan d1080
Swan M10-  2.1 system with two full ranges and a mid woofer.

These are also some of the best and are in your price range refurbished

Fostex Pm0.4n - each speaker is seperately biamped. You will need two power plugs but may be the best SQ out of all these options.
Audioengine A2- most compact considered about even with the swans in SQ

The ones below are very well reviewed, inexpensive, and nearly impossible to find in the US.  
Each features a MDF enclosure, audiophile amps, and .75 silk tweeters.

edifier R1200T  - $50-75       4.5" woofer
edifier R1600T  -$100-125    5" woofer
edifier R1900T - $150            5" woofer

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Well,
I´m looking for nearfield speakers, in this same range price (US$150)  to replace my Edifier M3400 (2.1),  and I´m very impressed with the reviews of Swan products I´ve read, although in this one  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882619003&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo, someone complained about "a faint but noticeable hiss present all the time. I found this very annoying at low volume levels".  So,  as, unfortunately,  I can´t test them  where I live, I would like your advice in order to make my choice: best fidelity (in low volume, if it matters), and, of course,  no hiss. 
My knowledge of pc speakers is limited to my Edifier´s,  so,  any help will be wellcome !

The edifier studio series is well regarded.  The others not so much.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

The edifier studio series is well regarded.  The others not so much.

The Edifier R1600T are currently sold here for US$250,00 !!!  As I have the chance to bring the speakers from the USA, do you think the Swan M10, would be a better choice (more bass) ?
Thank you for the help !

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Perhaps I should change that to difficult to find in the western hemisphere.   I have seen limited quantities on UK sites, and them listed on sites from India and China... but none of the normal ones that will ship to the US.  Amazon UK has them but only in limited quantities.  It is absurd.  All the US sellers who had them list them as out of stock.

I'm going to recommend the Fostex  or Swan they seem easier to buy.

Swan will ship from China I believe.  Fostex is available through several online retailers so it is a bit of a crap shoot with shipping.

Many people love the M10.  I would go with a 2.0 setup myself.  You can always add a dayton audio sub800 later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back