Desktop speaker stands for Audioengine A5 needed
Oct 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find some decent stands to elevate my new A5s up off my desk, not only to save desk space but also to be at a better listening height. I'm thinking about checking out Office Depot or staples even, to see if I can find something that would function both as elevators as well as desk organization. Any suggestions, whether real stands or some sort of desk organization improv set would be great.
Thanks!

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 38
I dont know how much they weigh, but if they're light enough, you might be able to get those inbox/outbox organizers, and put them on top of those (since those are modular and can organize papers)

you could also look at locker shelves (for kids' school lockers) which can take a reasonable amount of weight and come in a variety of colors

headroom has these:
HeadRoom Speaker Stand Pair @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

which can hold headphones and other stuff, although, if you don't wanna spend $500/pair, you could do a pair of locker stands + two of these:
Sennheiser USA - HH10 - Product Details

and hook them onto the locker shelves

the only thing it wouldn't do is height adjust, which you can get around by bending the shelves a little (might wanna use channel locks or pliers)

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headroom has these:
HeadRoom Speaker Stand Pair @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

$500??!?, what a &$%@ing joke.

Speaker stands are very simplistic, I would have something locally made to your specifications.

If you know anyone that is into woodworking as a hobby it should be dirt cheap. Even if you don't it should be pretty inexpensive to have a professional do it for you (you'll want to do the finishing yourself however). The only problem you might run into is finding someone that would take on such a small simple job.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 38
hence why I suggested, going with locker stands + headphone clips, does the same thing

i know in my hometown there was a glasswork guy who would build something like this, you'd probably have to provide the raw materials for the supports, see if something like that exists locally for you

OR
just wander down to home depot/equivalent and buy some wood and nails and do it the old fashioned way

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 38
8" $41.95.
I've had them for 8 years now

fgh_stands.jpg

Wood Technology FGH Series | HomeAudioSuperstore.com

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know in my hometown there was a glasswork guy who would build something like this, you'd probably have to provide the raw materials for the supports, see if something like that exists locally for you

OR
just wander down to home depot/equivalent and buy some wood and nails and do it the old fashioned way

Yeah, you could get pretty creative if you wanted to with different types of materials if you wanted to. Colored, or textured glass would be pretty cool. And it probably wouldn't add too much to the cost.

I wouldn't really advice doing it yourself without the right tools. Nails is not the way to go, and Home Depot isn't really going to have the right raw materials either (at least mine dosn't).

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8" $41.95.
I've had them for 8 years now

fgh_stands.jpg

Wood Technology FGH Series | HomeAudioSuperstore.com

Those look pretty nice. The only negative I see is the base is pretty big for a desktop. And 8" might be more than necessary.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 38
Go to a hardware store and buy a couple of cinder blocks. While there get felt w/ adhesive backs to protect your desk and speakers. The mass they provide will also assist w/ vibration issues.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 38
I'm really only looking to lift these less than 5" off the desk really, and I'm wondering if either of these wouldn't be the best choice:
Big Fat Dots

or the Mopads

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 38
I just cut up the foam packaging they came in, and it's decent. The thing is, I'm looking for something aesthetically pleasing, lol (not phonebooks...). And secondly, something to allow me to utilize the deskspace under the speakers, so something raised just a few inches, that still alows room underneath is ideal.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just cut up the foam packaging they came in, and it's decent. The thing is, I'm looking for something aesthetically pleasing, lol (not phonebooks...). And secondly, something to allow me to utilize the deskspace under the speakers, so something raised just a few inches, that still alows room underneath is ideal.

If you want something thats going fit your form factor and actually look nice your best (maybe only bet) bet is have something built. It might involve some leg work but the end result should be well worth it.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 38
i used the wooden contact protector blocks that came with my NS-777's + some foam from a grado pizza -> new stand for my CDP

granted i had to spend a good 20 minutes re-sharpening my knife, but whatever, its vibration resistant, and actually looks nice enough

phonebooks, you could just wrap them in felt (like sew up a little bag to put them in) and put the speakers on that, it'd look ok, but getting UNDER the speakers for storage, idk about that, either buy something commerically, or have something machined

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 38
Just went out, and made myself some stands...Bought 2 desktop paper organizers and flipped them upside down, giving me space under the speakers to store things, and then got Mopads so I can adjust heights.

my.php
[/url]
2i28f7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back