Desktop Power Supply Switch Question
Jan 6, 2008 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mrmarano

Head-Fier
This may be a somewhat silly question, but I thought I'd ask the source rather than guess:

I have the Desktop Max/DAC (AMP for shorts) and the accompanying power supply (DPS). When I want to dive into my music, I currently power up the DPS 1st (natch) then the AMP. When finished, I power down the AMP, then the DPS.

Here's the Big Question
rolleyes.gif
:

Can I leave the AMP's switch switch on, and power up the pair using only the DPS's switch? Will this method result in any possibility of damage, however slight, in the long run?

Curious minds...

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 4
I wouldn't recommend that you use the main switch on the DPS as a regular on/off switch. You will notice that it does not even get slightly warm whilst on if the amp connected to it is not on. As long as the amp is not drawing current, the power draw from the DPS is negligable.

That being said, you should always turn the amp off first, and on last to protect it (and your headphones) from any potential on/off surge (somewhere between very unlikely and impossible I believe) from the PSU.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 4
I have the DPS that powers my Ultra Micro AMP and DAC. My set up is to leave the Ultra AMP and DAC on all the time and control it with the on/off switch of the DPS. Can someone explain why it is not a good set up?

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the DPS that powers my Ultra Micro AMP and DAC. My set up is to leave the Ultra AMP and DAC on all the time and control it with the on/off switch of the DPS. Can someone explain why it is not a good set up?

Read above, it has been covered. Any analogue circuit when first switched on develops a spike of voltage and current. This can be tested with an older amp by hearing a thump from the speakers on power-up. The newer amps have a timed relay to remove this problem. First turn off any amps or dacs connected to the DPS then the DPS. To turn on, do the reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back